2022 SF Denim Dawson -LOI

hugh42

Here's a quick report about this player, from an August 17, 2021, report by Ontheradarhoops.com on that weekend's Super 6 Showcase in Atlanta:

Denim Dawson Jones 6’5 2022 California Stars Black

The high wire act was on display in his last game before his Stars team headed out the door. A tremendous leaper off one foot, he was quite the crowd pleaser. Dawson Jones had one of, if not the best first steps in the gym. He didn’t use wasted dribbles to get where he needed to go, and at 6’5 he was very aggressive when it came to cleaning the defensive boards. I’d like to think the forward helped himself a lot over the weekend as he’s originally a part of the 2021 class, but is opting for a 5th year.

And here's a related tweet:

https://twitter.com/OntheRadarHoops/status/1427704309211451395?s=20

Edited by Swan88

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2022 SF Denim Dawson
6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm gathering he's a prep teammate of Jaxon Kohler.

More like he will be.  

Dawson is a 2021 graduate who has re-classed and SCA is basically a prep school.  Jaxon transferred in from Utah for his senior year.

https://www.prephoops.com/2021/07/showcase-by-the-beach-top-2021-prospects/

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Y'know it's kinda complicated searching for a basketball player out there name Denim Dawson when there's actually a clothing company called Dawson Denim.

But it looks like he also holds an offer from Iowa.

Oh, wait, I'm being told that's *Iona*.  Which is almost the same exact thing.

That's cool, a shoo-in N.I.L. opportunity... 😉

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's certainly possible he could develop into a Big Ten-level guard/wing. I don't think he's there yet, but he has upside. He's strong and athletic. His reputation is he has a great motor. Skill-wise, he's not quite there. His dribbling and shooting seem a bit herky-jerky. Haven't seen game film, but his highlights suggest he's still a bit raw. But, it looks like he's our raw guy who has upside, so welcome aboard, young man!

If Fred wants a kid enough to give him a committable offer in the early signing period, then the kid is good enough to play for us.  Not saying Dawson's tape or offer list jumps out as elite, but HCFH doesn't throw those early offers out like candy.  I think anytime we land a kid in the early signing period that means he's a Plan A or Plan B kind of dude. 

We're currently full on scholarships for 2022 but we can sign one over.  I think since Blaise hasn't signed a LOI yet we in theory could sign two...I'm not sure if verbals count towards this.

At this point I think we might only be able to sign either Dawson or Lawrence and I wonder if we'd only want to sign one.