A couple of decades ago

Norm Peterson

Prior to 9/11, my military career wound down to a slow, gradual stop. I decided not to "re-up" as it were. Didn't have the fire in my belly. Like Gaylord Perry, I felt like I'd maybe stuck around beyond my "sell by" date and it was time to hang up the cleats. Unlike Perry, I didn't notch 300 wins. I had decided to quit instead of retire. If I stuck around longer, I knew I'd feel compelled to hang around until I got "my 20" and I just didn't want to do that. Your superiors are often assholes in the Army, and the higher you climb in the ranks, the more likely it is that you become the asshole.

So, I got out. And then 9/11 happened. And I had a lot of mixed emotions. In some ways it was a sigh of relief and a wipe of my brow that I'd gotten out kind of at an opportune time. If I had waited another year or so, they wouldn't have let me leave.

I had a dream last night. I'm not making this up. This really was my dream. I'm in some military school. I know I haven't fulfilled all the requirements for graduation and I'm trying to decide whether I want to approach the cadre and tell them I'm done or whether I want to buckle down and finish this up even though I'm way behind and maybe impossibly behind. And I woke up this morning and realized this was the 20th anniversary of that terrible day. So maybe I still have some unresolved feelings about getting out when I did. Or maybe it was just coincidence I had that particular dream last night. I don't know.

This is a particularly solemn day for me for a number of reasons. Not just having to do with the terrorist attacks. But it's 9 a.m. and I just found out the second tower was hit, and now I know this wasn't an accident. #NeverForget

There have been so many stories told about the heroic events/actions that took place 20 years ago AS WELL AS the many years that followed.  But was is so emotional for me are the thousands of untold stories of those that died then; and those that have subsequently died in the follow up wars and attacks.  

May they rest in peace.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Prior to 9/11, my military career wound down to a slow, gradual stop. I decided not to "re-up" as it were. Didn't have the fire in my belly. Like Gaylord Perry, I felt like I'd maybe stuck around beyond my "sell by" date and it was time to hang up the cleats. Unlike Perry, I didn't notch 300 wins. I had decided to quit instead of retire. If I stuck around longer, I knew I'd feel compelled to hang around until I got "my 20" and I just didn't want to do that. Your superiors are often assholes in the Army, and the higher you climb in the ranks, the more likely it is that you become the asshole.

So, I got out. And then 9/11 happened. And I had a lot of mixed emotions. In some ways it was a sigh of relief and a wipe of my brow that I'd gotten out kind of at an opportune time. If I had waited another year or so, they wouldn't have let me leave.

I had a dream last night. I'm not making this up. This really was my dream. I'm in some military school. I know I haven't fulfilled all the requirements for graduation and I'm trying to decide whether I want to approach the cadre and tell them I'm done or whether I want to buckle down and finish this up even though I'm way behind and maybe impossibly behind. And I woke up this morning and realized this was the 20th anniversary of that terrible day. So maybe I still have some unresolved feelings about getting out when I did. Or maybe it was just coincidence I had that particular dream last night. I don't know.

This is a particularly solemn day for me for a number of reasons. Not just having to do with the terrorist attacks. But it's 9 a.m. and I just found out the second tower was hit, and now I know this wasn't an accident. #NeverForget

Beautifully written.

The arc of our timelines just missed each other. I was fresh out of an eleven month tech school in the Air Force on that day. I was at my 1st duty station in Warner Robin's Georgia in the 5th Mob at the 51st Combat Communication Squadron. 

I can almost recall that whole day. Minuet by minute.but heres a little story a little later.

My squadron sent some of the first communications people over. They left night before/morning of the Oklahoma game(the one with pass :)) I had to load out the gear on the planes.

I got voluntold to do extra duty. Because like you said there are a number of people that are just assholes in the military...and I'm mouthy 😂 Anyway, Tech Sgt Norton KNEW I was geeked for that game. She didn't like me and I didn't like her. So she assigned me to extra duty that day and night knowing there was a good chance I'd miss it. She won that battle. But, I made it home about a hour before kick off. I called my dad and made him talk to me to keep me awake. Saw the game. Made sure to give and in depth recap to Tech Sgt Norton about the game on Monday. Also, got an accommodation because we loaded those planes so damn fast they ended up getting to leave early. FU Sgt Norton 😂

I think a good portion of people who served are in your shoes. Thinking those same thoughts. I know I have.