nothingbutnylon.com on the Big Ten...

whoopdeedoo

https://nothingbutnylon.com/big-ten-womens-basketball-preview-2021-22-terps-repeat/?fbclid=IwAR1nDU-zqGk05W2ot822cr_2tp65RnNDaG1Ws4HiJBghksUQERn9vA6zuKE

Favorites: Iowa, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan
Contenders: Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern
Purgatory: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
Basement: Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin

Edited by whoopdeedoo

the top 4 are what they are, which is real good.  i personally feel both minnesota and northwestern have a chance to be scary good also.  though they are in the purgatory, i love ohio states back court.  getting to .500 in league could be a serious challenge.  scanning the huskers schedule i'm seeing 8-9/ 9-8 finish.  The good news is that should get up into the dance providing we take care of business in the non-con ( losing 1 no prob., losing 2 ok, losing 3 or more the ground becomes very shaky)

2 hours ago, caveman said:

the top 4 are what they are, which is real good.  i personally feel both minnesota and northwestern have a chance to be scary good also.  though they are in the purgatory, i love ohio states back court.  getting to .500 in league could be a serious challenge.  scanning the huskers schedule i'm seeing 8-9/ 9-8 finish.  The good news is that should get up into the dance providing we take care of business in the non-con ( losing 1 no prob., losing 2 ok, losing 3 or more the ground becomes very shaky)

i could easily see it coming down to BTT play (for shot at NCAA Tourney). sure would be nice to have it cemented before tourney, but......lose 3 or more in non-con and chances are slim....very slim (barring a HUGE turnaround in play). i say a non-con sweep or only 1 loss is needed.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I dont agree with the Ohio State take but the rest I agree with. Im a little lower on NW than others i guess, they struggled to score last year and lost their 1 player that can create her own shot in Puliam. They''ll be tough defensively but can they score enough? Minnesota and Penn State are the 2 teams I think can take a big jump. Will be a really tough league.

55 minutes ago, Husker22 said:

I dont agree with the Ohio State take but the rest I agree with. Im a little lower on NW than others i guess, they struggled to score last year and lost their 1 player that can create her own shot in Puliam. They''ll be tough defensively but can they score enough? Minnesota and Penn State are the 2 teams I think can take a big jump. Will be a really tough league.

Northwestern did pull in the 10th ranked class for 2021. where that goes.....we'll see. 

14 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Northwestern did pull in the 10th ranked class for 2021. where that goes.....we'll see. 

They are definitely recruiting really well but they had a 5 star in 2020 and she didnt have much of an impact. Its tough for freshman in this league. I like NW going forward I just dont love them this year.

2 hours ago, Husker22 said:

They are definitely recruiting really well but they had a 5 star in 2020 and she didnt have much of an impact. Its tough for freshman in this league. I like NW going forward I just dont love them this year.

well, i respectfully disagree........i think NW will give a lot of teams fits. i expect they will finish in top 6

All this is just speculation for now, where we end up this year. But if we end up a .500 team again the the B1G.....sorry  but that would be a disappointment.

If our newbies get playing time and can come thorough, just see us better than that. But to many if's.... 

Maybe I'm overly optimistic as usual, but... Envision a different set of starters and a different second 5 off the bench than last year.  Shelly, Markowski and Weidner can make a big contribution. I see a tough mindset in those 3 in particular. 

Anyway, could go on for pages....sure looks good for a better next season..

Edited by redsteve

3 hours ago, redsteve said:

All this is just speculation for now, where we end up this year. But if we end up a .500 team again the the B1G.....sorry  but that would be a disappointment.

If our newbies get playing time and can come thorough, just see us better than that. But to many if's.... 

Mabey I'm overly optimistic as usual, but... Envision a different set of starters and a different second 5 off the bench than last year.  Shelly, Markowski and Weidner can make a big contribution. I see a tough mindset in those 3 in particular. 

Anyway, could go on for pages....sure looks good for a better next season..

I agree .500 would be a disappointment and we should be a better team, but pretty much everyone in the big ten will be better as well. Gonna be a battle every night this year.