Defense & coaching roles?

REDitus

With Doc taking on a new role, who is going to take the lead for coaching up the defense?   Is it Hoiberg with major input from Gates or perhaps Gates just takes Doc's role?    I know Gates bio indicates he works with guards and I think Loesner does as well.   Does that mean Gates and Loesner do guards&wings and Matt&Hoiberg coach up bigs when they break into groups?    Curious as to how coaching duties will be structured. 

7 hours ago, REDitus said:

With Doc taking on a new role, who is going to take the lead for coaching up the defense?   Is it Hoiberg with major input from Gates or perhaps Gates just takes Doc's role?    I know Gates bio indicates he works with guards and I think Loesner does as well.   Does that mean Gates and Loesner do guards&wings and Matt&Hoiberg coach up bigs when they break into groups?    Curious as to how coaching duties will be structured. 

Boy, I'd be willing to bet Doc will continue to do the defensive scouting. He'll probably come up with the game plan. He might not be on the floor coaching, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the film room running through things with players/coaches. Breaking down an opposing offense and figuring out how to defend it is his forte and to whatever extent he's able to continue to do that, I would bet he's all in.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:09 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I will assume Doc is still a key component to our defensive philosophy and structure.   

We simply need to watch our P's and Q's so we do not have the glitch the football team allegedly is having.

I think a lot of that has to do with a disgruntled former employee who held the position in which the stuff was happening for the coaching.  I don't see Doc doing that even if he were let go.

1 hour ago, REDitus said:

Well that answers that question!   Awesome. 

Also, good point Kamdyman about Matt.   This should make it a little easier for Matt with recruiting.   Really like this rule. 

It just recognizes that titles are somewhat arbitrary. What someone does isn't necessarily determined by what you call them.

On 9/16/2021 at 6:29 PM, Norm Peterson said:

It just recognizes that titles are somewhat arbitrary. What someone does isn't necessarily determined by what you call them.

They aren't for college sports where your title dictates your contact level with athletes and prospective students

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

They aren't for college sports where your title dictates your contact level with athletes and prospective students

I have a feeling you see more teams do what Nebraska does and have a recruiter on the coaching staff and have a “coach” in the role Doc currently holds. That way your best recruiter can contact and visit kids while your coach stays back and just coaches. I’m sure Doc doesn’t mind not having to recruit players. 

1 minute ago, TheKamdyMan said:

I have a feeling you see more teams do what Nebraska does and have a recruiter on the coaching staff and have a “coach” in the role Doc currently holds. That way your best recruiter can contact and visit kids while your coach stays back and just coaches. I’m sure Doc doesn’t mind not having to recruit players. 

Agreed. I should have specified that the title mattered more before this rule. 

Heck, depending on what we think we have in Gates and Loenser I could see us moving guys around more.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Is Lutz still around if the NCAA would have made this change 2 years ago?

I think this rule is something they expected to happen previously and it didn’t pass and that’s why he moved on. Honestly I think it benefits us because we got a younger guy in Loenser now and Doc can still be the defensive coordinator.