Opening Night with Husker Hoops Set for October 1, 2021

hhcmatt

21 hours ago, CamHuskerbballfan said:

I will not be able to make it to the opening night. Is there any way to watch it online or does anyone know if it will be on the radio?

I can't either.   I hope we get a good post scrimmage breakdown thread from HHC posters on how the new players played.   Any stats would be good.  You guys are the greatest!  

25 minutes ago, REDitus said:

I can't either.   I hope we get a good post scrimmage breakdown thread from HHC posters on how the new players played.   Any stats would be good.  You guys are the greatest!  

You should reserve your compliments until after you see the writeups.

Unless you're just trying to butter us up. In which case, I mean, yes, we are the greatest.

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

You should reserve your compliments until after you see the writeups.

Unless you're just trying to butter us up. In which case, I mean, yes, we are the greatest.

Ha,  you swished it on the 2nd shot.  I figured a little flattery might go along way.   Going to have to try reverse next time.

Edited by REDitus

It was a fun night.  Good crowd...perhaps 6 to 7000. A few were there for the post-basketball entertainment.   Some of the female fans were lacking ummm, cloth in certain areas...

But what I think I saw was a deep and athletic team that likes to have fun.  A couple players stood out to me, and a couple sort of underwhelmed me a bit.  But it is still way to early to pass judgement.   

Not an exaggeration:  Tominaga is the best shooter I have ever seen in person.  He will get minutes.  So will Breidenbach, who looks nothing like his high school film from a weight standpoint.  Kid is plenty big to bang and has a great looking deep ball.  

Loved what I saw from Keon—nice shot from deep and freak athlete.  Thought Wilcher did some good things.  Verge has a ton of midrange scoring ability and quickness.  Bryce was underwhelming, but I don’t think he nor Trey were taking the game seriously at all.  Bryce has a hell of a frame.   

They’re gonna be fun to watch.  I think Tominaga will be the first guard off the bench and Breidenbach will compete for starting minutes at some point in the season, either at the 4 or 5.  

8 hours ago, LK1 said:

Not an exaggeration:  Tominaga is the best shooter I have ever seen in person.  He will get minutes.  So will Breidenbach, who looks nothing like his high school film from a weight standpoint.  Kid is plenty big to bang and has a great looking deep ball.  

Loved what I saw from Keon—nice shot from deep and freak athlete.  Thought Wilcher did some good things.  Verge has a ton of midrange scoring ability and quickness.  Bryce was underwhelming, but I don’t think he nor Trey were taking the game seriously at all.  Bryce has a hell of a frame.   

They’re gonna be fun to watch.  I think Tominaga will be the first guard off the bench and Breidenbach will compete for starting minutes at some point in the season, either at the 4 or 5.  

I don’t think it was random that the apparent early starter,  Lat didn’t play and Breidenbach slide into that spot with the other four papers (R) early starters. 

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I don’t think it was random that the apparent early starter,  Lat didn’t play and Breidenbach slide into that spot with the other four papers (R) early starters. 

Lat didn't even warm up. If you're inferring that the reason he didn't play was because he was passed up in the depth chart, you're also saying he was being too petty to even participate. Seems a lot more likely he had some minor injury.

I was going to mention Keon as well because seeing him out there I felt like he had the size to guard Derrick Walker and the game that Derrick Walker couldn't guard him.  It's just a matter of when with him.

Keisei is going to be in the rotation and it's just a matter of how many minutes.  If he can function in Sadler's team defense concept then he's a superior version of Kobe Webster. That Japanese Steph Curry stuff about his range is legit. He is legit.  Check him out on that HOL video starting at 4:02 as he holds up with Verge trying to shake and bake him and then hits two beyond NBA 3s in a row.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Lat didn't even warm up. If you're inferring that the reason he didn't play was because he was passed up in the depth chart, you're also saying he was being too petty to even participate. Seems a lot more likely he had some minor injury.

I didn’t read it that way.  I read it as Dean saying it wasn’t coincidence that WB was in the starting 5 with a sidelined Lat—seems to indicate he’s at least the first big off the bench.  

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

No - he didn’t play because he has been wearing a boot. (Trey says it’s nothing serious though) I was inferring Lat will be a starter and Heem will be the first off the bench in the front court. 

13 hours ago, LK1 said:

... and Briedenbach is still in recovery mode.