OT: Printed vs. Digital Tickets: The Debate

HuskerFever

Printed vs. Digital Tickets: The Debate  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Printed tickets
    • Digital tickets

I know some on this board have strong opinions one way or another, but I came across this article about university and personal decisions between printed and digital tickets.

https://apnews.com/article/sports-college-football-technology-lifestyle-nebraska-cornhuskers-football-5cfcec9bfa9a042d653d239cfc6cc1fc

Where do you stand? Do you even care?

What's your favorite memory from an "old time" ticket you still/used to have in your possession?

I'm glad we're giving the option. It's a mistake to go to all digital because it will cause some oldtimers to just give up on season tickets, and it will lower sales.

I'll repeat my horror story from the NCAA volleyball tournament in the spring: Ticketmaster went to a new technology so your bar code changes every few seconds. Only way to use it was to put it in your digital wallet, rather than take a screenshot. It didn't work on some older phones, so there was a line of people standing to the side trying to get it to work. Like everything else, they roll out a new technology before it works well, and seniors just opt out. Look how many seniors still have cable because they don't want to mess with streaming.

The idea of holding onto tickets isn't a big factor to young people. They keep their selfies from the game.

I have no opinion either way. I think I missed the deadline to sign up for paper tickets anyway. It all comes down to how easy its going to be getting into the arena. So far my only experience with digital tickets has been Husker baseball and that was a trainwreck. 

Fav all time Husker paper ticket experience/memory is my opening night at PBA ticket which is framed with a panoramic of the game right before tip

I used to think paper tickets but honestly since I went to digital tickets, I'd never go back to printed again.  My tickets are with me all the time and if I want to sell or transfer them to someone else, I can do that without having to leave my couch instead of having to meet up with the  person.  It's a huge cost saving for UNL to go with digital tickets and won't be much longer till paper tickets aren't even an option anymore.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Does anyone want to guess how I voted? I can't even seem to use my E-bay to make a phone call. And is there any way to win a free runza on a digital ticket? 

Pro tip.  You don't need to produce a ticket stub to get a free Runza, they don't care.  They'll give you the discount if you ask for it, in fact the team doesn't even have to have scored 90 points or whatever it is.

At least in my experience that's the way it works.

9 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I used to think paper tickets but honestly since I went to digital tickets, I'd never go back to printed again.  My tickets are with me all the time and if I want to sell or transfer them to someone else, I can do that without having to leave my couch instead of having to meet up with the  person.  It's a huge cost saving for UNL to go with digital tickets and won't be much longer till paper tickets aren't even an option anymore.

Sporting KC has been 100% digital for a while now and it is by far the most convenient way to go.

Digital is definitely an improvement.  No worry about losing or damaging your tickets, and you can buy on the secondhand market with 100% confidence.  I haven't kept my ticket stubs since like third grade, so the novelty of the paper ticket was lost on me way before technology took over. 

The only negative in my mind is that different athletic venues use different ticket platforms, so it does add to app bloat on my phone.  Stubhub, seatgeek, ticketmaster, etc.

I had posted this over on the WBB Forum. 

On 8/21/2021 at 12:51 PM, Red Don said:

I think most folks prefer the paper tickets (hence the athletic dept walking back their transition to all-digital; they are now allowing fans to choose a paper option).  

I had some experience with digital football tickets last year.  After initial trepidation regarding the technical aspects about storing your tickets and, in my case, transferring individual tickets for others, say family members/friends to use, the process turned out to be pretty seamless and easy to use/transfer.  I can see where it could be useful for basketball where there are so many more games, i.e. you may not be able to attend every game and want to give/sell your tickets to someone else without having to worry about getting the physical ticket to them.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:20 AM, 49r said:

Sporting KC has been 100% digital for a while now and it is by far the most convenient way to go.

The one game I was able to make it to this year they weren’t even scanning tickets. I had them, but we went through the security and then just walked right in. We were looking for someone to scan but there was nobody there.