2021 Volleyball

HuskerFever

Just survived a little scare...

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/husker-setter-hames-avoided-serious-ankle-injury-but-cook-says-shes-unlikely-to-play-this/article_f05c5d4f-e501-5789-a059-61891aea0c41.amp.html

(Nicklin Hames)

“Nothing torn, nothing broken, so that’s good news,” Cook said.

Hames injured her ankle near the end of Nebraska’s scrimmage Saturday. She immediately was taken to the athletic training room and didn’t return to the bench. An X-ray that evening revealed no broken bones.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I don't follow volleyball that closely could anyone fill me in on what is up with Lexi Sun? Is she injured? I note that she seems to be an enthusiastic end-of-the- bench player now. I can't imagine a two time all American basketball player returning for a final season being relegated to the bench and responding so positively without some sort of extenuating circumstances. ( I'm not trying to disturb team chemistry-just wondering)

2 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Since I don't follow volleyball that closely could anyone fill me in on what is up with Lexi Sun? Is she injured? I note that she seems to be an enthusiastic end-of-the- bench player now. I can't imagine a two time all American basketball player returning for a final season being relegated to the bench and responding so positively without some sort of extenuating circumstances. ( I'm not trying to disturb team chemistry-just wondering)

If I remember right, she was struggling a little bit when we were on that 3 game skid earlier this year.  She was relegated to a role player after that who plays some sets, but not all.  Don't know anything behind the scenes, but just what I've noticed-- it seems like a situation where we had so many "players" who could play at a high level that we gave a few others a chance and they stepped up too.

Our FR Outside struggled last night-- think she it -.038, so we could see Sun again.  She seems to be taking to her new role decently though.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

She does have a bad back.   She is wearing a large contraption while on the sidelines that provides heat.  She stretches all the time.   But I do think she has also lost her confidence, and isn't killing balls as an outside hitter.    At least publicly she is holding up well and being a supportive teammate.   But it has to be difficult. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nebraska should have plenty of motivation in the NCAA Tournament, having garnered a #10 seed after finishing the B1G season in sole possession of 2nd place while only being the 4th best seed in the biggest tourney of the year (and, yes, this is the 2nd big tourney of 2021, the first being in Omaha during the springtime...).

Nebraska also had to have the defending national champ Kentucky (#7) with former NU assistant Craig Skinner at the helm within their side of the bracket... also, if NU is fortunate enough to get to the Elite 8, the Huskers would have to likely face Texas (#2) in a rematch of last season's Elite Eight in which Texas smoked NU. It will be interesting, nonetheless.