The Backups

Here's a shooting guard who can fill it up. 6'5 kid, so good size. Kinda got a little Teddy Allen game in the sense that he doesn't wow you with his athleticism but somehow manages to find a way to score. He counts as a freshman, but he's got a year of college under his belt. And look at this shooting exhibition:

Edited by Norm Peterson

Long and bouncy wing who, at 6'7, can create his own shot. Good handles. Can find the rim off the dribble or pull up mid-range. Half a year of college so he comes in with some seasoning already. ESPN had him as a top 50 recruit for the class of '21 before he reclassified and joined DePaul for half a season.

Edited by Norm Peterson

I don't see Keisei as having much in common with Thor except they're both lefty shooters. If Thor could shoot like Keisei, he'd have been a solid starter and maybe an honorable mention all conference kind of selection. Good length for a guard. Reasonably athletic. Very high hoops IQ. Extremely high hoops IQ. But Thor's weakness is Keisei's strength. Thor just wasn't a reliable outside shooter other than for a short span his junior year. I see Keisei as probably having a high hoops IQ and feel for the game. His shooting is ++. But he's not long, and unless he's explosive, he's probably going to have problems. Does he have the foot speed and lateral quickness to defend opposing guards at this level? I don't know. If he does, he'll probably see the floor because he's about as automatic of a shooter as Cary Cochran.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If these are the backups, I'm feeling pretty good, right?

Seems to have the tools to play point. Can absolutely drill it. Lead his juco team to the NJCAA semis. Sophomore with two juco years under his belt. Is he athletic enough to see the floor? I'm guessing so, but how long will it take him to adjust to P5 basketball?

Oooo, that quick release three!

vehuyqwio0w61.gif

Still liking Keisei a whole lot.  3v3 didn't change my mind either way.  He'll be a bit of a defensive liability, but he'll also have games where he outscores the guy he guards by 15.  If he's not on, we have options, but he'll absolutely be worth rolling out there for a heat check every game.  He's not just a shooter offensively either--good passer, good handles, great movement without the ball, high IQ.  He'll help... on offense.  

You have to guard him well beyond the 3 pt line, so he opens driving lanes for others even if he isn't scoring. And he's savvy and skilled enough to drive around players who fly at him on the 3-pt line, creating passing opportunities.

He just needs to hit shots early in the season, so he's always on the opposing team's scouting report. Hopefully he's hitting 3s if they ignore him and opening things up for other guys if they focus on him.

Hoiberg mentioned a few weeks ago they have a plan for utilizing him. Will be interesting to see how he adjusts through the first few practices.

3 minutes ago, throwback said:

You have to guard him well beyond the 3 pt line, so he opens driving lanes for others even if he isn't scoring. And he's savvy and skilled enough to drive around players who fly at him on the 3-pt line, creating passing opportunities.

He just needs to hit shots early in the season, so he's always on the opposing team's scouting report. Hopefully he's hitting 3s if they ignore him and opening things up for other guys if they focus on him.

Hoiberg mentioned a few weeks ago they have a plan for utilizing him. Will be interesting to see how he adjusts through the first few practices.

That sounds good, but he still has to be able to play defense.

I have no expectations for Keisei this year. He can shoot the crap outta the ball. The previous two seasons we had the best shooters in the portal transfer to Nebraska, according to Hoiberg (Kavas and Lakes). Those guys can flat out shoot it too. But shooting alone won’t give him consistent significant minutes. He does have some similar mannerisms and feel as Thor, regardless of what hand they shoot the ball with. But Thor is taller, stronger, longer and quicker (Thor’s quickness was underrated). Lack of quickness is the biggest weakness I see with Keisei, and it’s pretty significant. Watching his film, it takes him a long time to cover a little amount of space. Not a big problem in JUCO (although it did show up if you watched his full games, not just highlights) and 3 on 3 international ball, but he’s not getting around anyone in the Big Ten moving like that. If he can think and PLAY fast, that will negate some of his lack of quickness, but it could take some time to adjust at this level. I think he will struggle on both ends at first. 

Sincerely hope he proves me wrong. I’m just choosing to have no expectations for juco transfers at this point. I bought into the hype (that came straight from both Miles and Hoiberg’s staff) that Jervay Green was an NBA player. His juco film made him look like one. If Keisei turns out to be a Marcus Perry or Paul Velander type of player, that’ll be perfectly fine with me. 

17 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I have no expectations for Keisei this year. He can shoot the crap outta the ball. The previous two seasons we had the best shooters in the portal transfer to Nebraska, according to Hoiberg (Kavas and Lakes). Those guys can flat out shoot it too. But shooting alone won’t give him consistent significant minutes. He does have some similar mannerisms and feel as Thor, regardless of what hand they shoot the ball with. But Thor is taller, stronger, longer and quicker (Thor’s quickness was underrated). Lack of quickness is the biggest weakness I see with Keisei, and it’s pretty significant. Watching his film, it takes him a long time to cover a little amount of space. Not a big problem in JUCO (although it did show up if you watched his full games, not just highlights) and 3 on 3 international ball, but he’s not getting around anyone in the Big Ten moving like that. If he can think and PLAY fast, that will negate some of his lack of quickness, but it could take some time to adjust at this level. I think he will struggle on both ends at first. 

Sincerely hope he proves me wrong. I’m just choosing to have no expectations for juco transfers at this point. I bought into the hype (that came straight from both Miles and Hoiberg’s staff) that Jervay Green was an NBA player. His juco film made him look like one. If Keisei turns out to be a Marcus Perry or Paul Velander type of player, that’ll be perfectly fine with me. 

agree 💯

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

That sounds good, but he still has to be able to play defense.

Did you watch him holding his man away from the ball during the 3x3 tournament at the Olympics? He was performing similar to a Wisconsin-level defender (minus the jabs to the family jewels). He has this league figured out already.

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If Thor could shoot like Keisei, he'd have been a solid starter and maybe an honorable mention all conference kind of selection. 

If Thor could shoot (like we hope) Keisei can shoot, he might have been a 1st Team guy with all the little things he did on the court. Think if Thor shot 42% on 5-8 attempts a game. I mean he could been our MVP. Lefty Duncan Robinson. I'd argue that was his biggest flaw in his game. He literally did everything else well and was an incredible teammate. But he shot 32% on only 2 and a half attempts a game for his career. 

Edited by basketballjones