Anyone care

jimmykc

I enjoy the NBA and thought this year's final was terrific. It was nice to see some new blood in the finals.

Not upset by the U.S. loss, France has 5 or 6 NBA players, including Rudy Gobert, and the other guys have played together internationally. It's not like the old days when the Americans could just show up and win on talent alone. All to the top countries have multiple NBA players and more international experience. 

I actually got more worked up watching the U.S. water polo team rally to beat Japan. Some of the offbeat Olympic events are fun, if you don't have to watch an edited version after you know the result. Seems like 5 or 6 channels are carrying stuff, so it's easy to find something watchable.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

I am not an NBA fan, but if these guys are willing to put USA on their chests, I'm willing to back them, especially when several other guys say no thanks.

Caught the replay after knowing the result - ugh. Blowing a 7 pt lead and failing to make a shot in the final 4+ minutes was brutal. I think they played relatively hard, but just couldn't buy a bucket. Maybe missed their last 15 shots? Maybe more than that? It was ugly. Played way too unselfish, too many times making the unnecessary extra pass.

Hopefully they get it turned around fast, because the preliminary exhibition games did not go well either.

I'm not sure France played all that well, honestly, which is also a little scary. They really dominated the last 15 minutes using 2 bigs, though. And they hit at least 3 3s off broken plays/offensive rebounds in the 2nd half. Thought I was watching the Huskers, as it seems like other teams hit about 98% on those scramble 3s against us.

First Olympic loss in like 17 years I think? Not good.

7 hours ago, jimmykc said:

...that the USA Olympic team was beaten by France in todays opening game? I don't, and also didn't watch any of the NBA playoffs. Does that make me unpatriotic? And after all, Yvan lead the scorers and he is only 19! (OK, I made up the last part to keep it germane to HHC).

No!!

12 hours ago, jimmykc said:

...that the USA Olympic team was beaten by France in todays opening game? I don't, and also didn't watch any of the NBA playoffs. Does that make me unpatriotic? And after all, Yvan lead the scorers and he is only 19! (OK, I made up the last part to keep it germane to HHC).

I could care less about that.  Not going to waste my time watching it either!

It's a World Game, so it's not surprisingly that the USA's NBA players wouldn't necessarily perform better than France's crew, which included a few NBA stars, too. Oh well, on to the next ballgame.

I had read that the past 3 times that an NBA coach has been in charge of Team USA, they had finished 6th, 3rd & 7th (not sure of its exact order). Coach Pop is leading this year's team, so we'll see if that trend continues...

9 hours ago, 1HuskerDad said:

I could care less about that.  Not going to waste my time watching it either!

You could care less?  That's kind of bizarre, considering your second sentence implies that you couldn't care less.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. 🙃

You obliviously care somewhat because you felt the need to comment. 

I'm not an NBA fan, I don't have a team or usually a routing interest but I'll defiantly watch the playoffs. But I like watching basketball. I'll watch the Big 3 or the TBT if I come across them. And I was up to watch yesterday's game too. 

While this version of USA basketball isn't a or sure Gold medal team they're defiantly medal contenders. They started off slow in the exhibition play too but did beat a good Spanish team at the end. France just had a really good game plan. They went big and got Durant into foul trouble. A couple of the guys fresh off the NBA Finals seemed a little rough but I think once they all get their feet under them they'll advance out of pool play and play for a medal. Maybe not the one everyone wants but as has been stated, worldwide basketball has come a long ways since 1992.

I care. I watch every Olympics and root for us to win every gold medal.  We just won our first ever women's taekwondo gold! We're going to watch nothing but swimming and gymnastics in this house for the next week.

This NBA squad certainly isn't the most talented we've ever sent and some of it has to do with all the wear and tear of cramming in two NBA season plus us winning enough since Athens where it's not a pressing matter.  If you win, you're supposed to and if you don't it's embarrassing.  Couple that with how much better the rest of the world gets at basketball every year and we're going to be lucky to medal.

I get not everyone is into the Olympics though I have to say if you're rooting for the US to lose for some reason you're not the American/Patriot you think you are.

Its basketball enjoy it even if you can't root for someone. And it is high level basketball. I'm sure many of you have watched tons of AAU ball this summer and Olympic basketball talent and style wise is a far superior product.  I don't even know if I was watching it live or on tape but Doncic went off for Slovenia v Argentina late last night at my house.  It was a fun game to watch. I am currently watching Canada vs Serbia women. Pretty sure this is tape delayed but it's all good if you don't know the final score. And I was crushed when John Thompson's last all college team lost in the 1988 Olympics.

When I think, ESPN had March Madness the showed every game, even though most were on delay. They had basketball on 24 hours a day that first Thursday/Friday. I would sit up with a notepad and jot down concepts or sets that I really like from Long Beach State vs. New Mexico at 3:00 in the morning. I was lucky enough to have watched every NC State game in the 83 tournament when they survived and advanced. The number of overtimes they went through was amazing. I'm not even referring to the OP, but I don't get all the schadenfreude in general. Root for someone, watch it for the pure enjoyment of the game, whatever. I don't understand people's strong emotional attachment to rooting against people or teams because somehow they feel they deserve to lose. Unless it's Tottenham. They deserve every bad thing that happens to them 🙂 They Olympics are bonus basketball season. I just enjoy the games.

Edited by Dean Smith

16 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Its basketball enjoy it even if you can't root for someone. And it is high level basketball. I'm sure many of you have watched tons of AAU ball this summer and Olympic basketball talent and style wise is a far superior product.  I don't even know if I was watching it live or on tape but Doncic went off for Slovenia v Argentina late last night at my house.  It was a fun game to watch. I am currently watching Canada vs Serbia women. Pretty sure this is tape delayed but it's all good if you don't know the final score. And I was crushed when John Thompson's last all college team lost in the 1988 Olympics.

When I think, ESPN had March Madness the showed every game, even though most were on delay. They had basketball on 24 hours a day that first Thursday/Friday. I would sit up with a notepad and jot down concepts or sets that I really like from Long Beach State vs. New Mexico at 3:00 in the morning. I was lucky enough to have watched every NC State game in the 83 tournament when they survived and advanced. The number of overtimes they went through was amazing. I'm not even referring to the OP, but I don't get all the schadenfreude in general. Root for someone, watch it for the pure enjoyment of the game, whatever. I don't understand people strong emotional attachment to rooting against people or teams because somehow they feel they deserve to lose. Unless it's Tottenham. They deserve every bad thing that happens to them? 🙂 They Olympics are bonus basketball season. I just enjoy the games.

I love this post.