3x3 Olympic Basketball Games

Looks like Japan lost its first game in OT to Poland

Tominaga had 7 of the team's 19 points but made only 1 of 8 "2-point" shots. Was 5-of-6 from "1-point" land. Was +4 in +/-, tops on the team.

Looks like a replay is available:

https://www.nbcolympics.com/replays/sport/basketball-3x3/team/men/japan

Next games are 8:25 am CDT Saturday vs Belgium, 5:05 am CDT Sunday vs Netherlands, and 8:25 am CDT Sunday vs Latvia.

Edited by throwback

Was able to catch a bit, he looked better handling the ball than what I expected based on reading about him. Pretty good finishing around the basket too and seemed to be hustling on defense and for boards. He could be a bit more than just a sharp shooter, but we have a lot of talent he’ll be competing with.

I haven't watched much 3x3 basketball previously - OK, none - it's way more physical than I expected. 

Tominaga is definitely scrappy, quick, and a willing defender. Also very savvy - just knows where to be and anticipates the flow of the game well. The officials allowed a ton of contact and holding away from the ball in their games, and he's taking full advantage. 😁

Man, he's little though. 3x3 clearly is not a big guy's game, but he's even small by these standards. 

His long distance shot has been off so far in the two games, but when he gets that going, I can see why he's really good at 3x3. Those long 2-pt shots are very valuable.

Hopefully it all translates to D-1 hoops. He has a lot of good instincts for sure. 

Edited by throwback

43 minutes ago, throwback said:

I haven't watched much 3x3 basketball previously - OK, none - it's way more physical than I expected. 

Tominaga is definitely scrappy, quick, and a willing defender. Also very savvy - just knows where to be and anticipates the flow of the game well. The officials allowed a ton of contact and holding away from the ball in their games, and he's taking full advantage. 😁

Man, he's little though. 3x3 clearly is not a big guy's game, but he's even small by these standards. 

His long distance shot has been off so far in the two games, but when he gets that going, I can see why he's really good at 3x3. Those long 2-pt shots are very valuable.

Hopefully it all translates to D-1 hoops. He has a lot of good instincts for sure. 

Seems his looks from deep have been rushed. Pry a combination of the allowed physicality, and the very short clock forcing the nature of play to be frantic. In a five man offense with other weapons and more designed motion he’d have much better rhythm to his shots. In that second overtime period the teams were a combined like 2/20 and he made both shots.

31 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Seems his looks from deep have been rushed. Pry a combination of the allowed physicality, and the very short clock forcing the nature of play to be frantic. In a five man offense with other weapons and more designed motion he’d have much better rhythm to his shots. In that second overtime period the teams were a combined like 2/20 and he made both shots.

Yeah that OT was brutal to watch - both teams were gassed like me about 2 minutes into the typical pickup game.

EDIT: I should say Tominaga looked to be the freshest player on either team in OT. 

Edited by throwback

Japan lost 21-18 to Latvia - Tominaga again was the leading scorer with 9 pts - made 3 of 4 from 1 pt and 3 of 5 from 2 pt, so he definitely got his long range game going. Was minus-3 in +/-  - first time he's been minus.

Looks like their last 3 games are:

Sun 10 pm CDT vs Serbia

Mon 1 am CDT vs Russia

Tue 1:05 am CDT vs China

Looks like they may eliminate 2 of the 8 teams before the medal round? Hard to tell from NBC's lousy website. Quarterfinals start Tuesday around 7 am.

Japan is tied with Russia for 6th, and China is 8th, so Japan still has a decent chance at finishing in the top 6.

6 hours ago, throwback said:

Japan lost 21-18 to Latvia - Tominaga again was the leading scorer with 9 pts - made 3 of 4 from 1 pt and 3 of 5 from 2 pt, so he definitely got his long range game going. Was minus-3 in +/-  - first time he's been minus.

Looks like their last 3 games are:

Sun 10 pm CDT vs Serbia

Mon 1 am CDT vs Russia

Tue 1:05 am CDT vs China

Looks like they may eliminate 2 of the 8 teams before the medal round? Hard to tell from NBC's lousy website. Quarterfinals start Tuesday around 7 am.

Japan is tied with Russia for 6th, and China is 8th, so Japan still has a decent chance at finishing in the top 6.

Do you know if there is any way to watch any of these 3 games, @throwback?

stream is available for all games - go to https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule and scroll down until you find the 3x3 basketball row

click on Expand when you find the right session, and you should see the stream link at game time. 

Otherwise, replays are available at https://www.nbcolympics.com/replays/sport/basketball-3x3/team/men/japan - have to find the right session again, but at least you can fast forward, as each session has 4 games in it.

You do have to have some sort of cable/satellite/streaming subscription - you'll have to log in to your service provider to gain access to the live stream. Not sure if you need a subscription to watch the replays.

3 hours ago, throwback said:

stream is available for all games - go to https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule and scroll down until you find the 3x3 basketball row

click on Expand when you find the right session, and you should see the stream link at game time. 

Otherwise, replays are available at https://www.nbcolympics.com/replays/sport/basketball-3x3/team/men/japan - have to find the right session again, but at least you can fast forward, as each session has 4 games in it.

You do have to have some sort of cable/satellite/streaming subscription - you'll have to log in to your service provider to gain access to the live stream. Not sure if you need a subscription to watch the replays.

Thanks @throwback, appreciate the info.

2 more losses for Japan today - 21-11 to Serbia and 19-16 to Russia

Tominaga had just 1 pt against Serbia - didn't watch, but I'd assume they bullied him around - Serbia is the best team here & would know how to take advantage of his size

He had 6 vs Russia, including 2 of 3 on 2 pt shots.

Japan has fallen to last in the standings, so if they do cut the last 2 teams before the medal round, they're almost certainly out with that loss to Russia.

l

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Tominaga had just 1 pt against Serbia - didn't watch, but I'd assume they bullied him around - Serbia is the best team here & would know how to take advantage of his size

Japan has fallen to last in the standings, so if they do cut the last 2 teams before the medal round, they're almost certainly out with that loss to Russia.

Poland would have to lose their last game, Japan would have to beat China. 

Then you'd have three 2 win teams, each of those teams having beat each other. 

Tiebreaker is point diff. Japan would need to beat China by 3 or more.  If they win by 2 I think it's a coin flip. If they only win by 1, they'd be out.

Tominaga is 5th in the tournament in scoring & 6th in shooting value (no idea what that is) & 6th in 1-pt shooting percentage.

He's 9 of 19 in 2-pt shooting over the past 4 games, which would rank 3rd in percentage, but, for some unfair reason, they won't throw out his poor day shooting from long range to start the tournament. 

All pretty impressive since he almost certainly has to be one of the youngest (and smallest) players in the tournament.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/BK3/OG2020-_BK3_C85_BK3MTEAM3-------------------------.pdf

Poland loses to Netherlands, so that keeps Japan alive.

Edited by throwback

5 hours ago, throwback said:

I watched the Japan-Serbia match, and Tominaga was out of his element against the big, strong dudes from Serbia. His only bucket was a nifty drive from the baseline in which he finger-rolled it in a la "The Ice Man" George Gervin.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:59 PM, NoladrianSephier said:

Seemed to me that either the rims were tight, the ball was overinflated, or both. It’s also played outdoors so could factor into tougher outside shooting.

And I'm not sure what the distance is on the 3 2-point line. Looks deep, like NBA distance. That could affect a guy's numbers, too.