OT: You can't spell "SEC" without "Texas"

23 hours ago, LK1 said:

I still think our football brand, which is still in the top 10 in value, would get us our pick of the litter in terms of conferences despite our recent struggles.  I wouldn't have wanted to test that theory, however!  

I think people in this state still think of NU football brand in the top 10 but not so much nationally.  

50 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I don't remember the article I saw that figure but it was top 10 in revenue according to their metrics.

I hold my tongue on the product on the field until after next season :)

I think I may have posted it on here somewhere.  It was something I saw on the Dan Patrick show a while back.  But we were like #10 just ahead or just behind of Alabama.

32 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This whole 'band of rag-tag fighters forms an alliance to combat a common enemy deal' seems like a much better strategy than sifting through the remainder of the Big 12.

Big 12 = the remainder bin of college athletics

There are some items in there that look somewhat appealing compared to the other items in the bin, but probably nothing that you would like to take home no matter how cheap.

40 minutes ago, throwback said:

So anyone want to guess who we'll draw in the Big Ten-ACC-Pac-12 Challenge in 2025? 

I just hope we don't end up in a thruple with Washington State and Miami. Brutal.

lol..ya know that would be kind of interesting...add something new to the game....a third hoop.  would have to totally redesign every arena in the country...but still. 

On 8/4/2021 at 1:45 PM, aphilso1 said:

If the PAC12/B1G/ACC want to operate as a political voting block, they can do that without the PAC12 having to absorb deadweight Big12 schools.  And this latest powerplay by the SEC seems to have united everyone else. 

On 8/5/2021 at 7:35 AM, aphilso1 said:

I think it is actually more likely that the non-SEC caucus holds together.  University Presidents are academicians by trade, and  don't want to waste all of their time on this sports stuff.  Stability in athletics is important to them.  And I think (outside of the SEC) we are finally starting to see the collective mentality change from "add whoever we can to the conference to get more money" to "maybe tradition, stability, and local rivalries are important too."  And they are just at the very beginning of starting to flesh out what that means.  At a minimum I think the PAC/B1G/ACC will agree to not poach teams from each others' conferences.  But probably much more than that.

My guess is you will see a lot of pushback against the SEC over the next few years.  No more playing "neutral site" games in the SEC's backyard.  Prioritizing scheduling the other major conferences over the SEC.  Maybe even some subtle downgrading of the SEC teams when playoff rankings first come out.  That sort of thing.  Nothing egregious.  No official boycotts of scheduling SEC teams.  Just a little bit of a poke in the eye to say "hey, we're sick of your crap."

Hey, I finally got something right!

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Watching schools like ISU, KSU, OSU -- old Big 8 mates of ours who snubbed us on crucial Big 12 votes to throw in with Texas -- swinging in the breeze right now brings me a certain satisfaction.

Lyrics to Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' by Journey - YouTube

And if you REALLY want to turn the knife you could offer them a two game home for one visit contract in the future. Maybe even three if you're especially jaded 😊

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Watching schools like ISU, KSU, OSU -- old Big 8 mates of ours who snubbed us on crucial Big 12 votes to throw in with Texas -- swinging in the breeze right now brings me a certain satisfaction.

Lyrics to Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' by Journey - YouTube

Not sure I look at it that they snubbed Nebraska but rather just voted what they felt was best for their school and/or the conference.  Actually, Nebraska is the one that looked bad being the only ones voting differently.  

5 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Like I always said: The ideal number for a conference is 41.

Not really even sure that this alliance means other than these conference will schedule non-conference games against each other more often???  And they won't schedule any SEC teams for non-conference games???  Seem like just a handshake kind of deal that doesn't really mean anything.  

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Not really even sure that this alliance means other than these conference will schedule non-conference games against each other more often???  And they won't schedule any SEC teams for non-conference games???  Seem like just a handshake kind of deal that doesn't really mean anything.  

An alliance that has the potential to shape the future of college football probably needs more than a few weeks to hammer out the details and put something down in writing.