OT: You can't spell "SEC" without "Texas"

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Was it though?

But to answer your question NO I would not be happy with Texas or OU in the BIG TEN. But, in my perfect world the BIG 8 still exists so take my opinion for what it's worth 😃

Now we're talkin':

image.png

Raycom, Phillips 66 Studio, and Saturday afternoon double-headers, all culminating at Kemper. The best.

2 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Was it though?

But to answer your question NO I would not be happy with Texas or OU in the BIG TEN. But, in my perfect world the BIG 8 still exists so take my opinion for what it's worth 😃

How was it not the same?  Nebraska left the Big 12 for the money and stability of the Big 10.  Texas and OU are leaving the Big 12 for the money and stability of the SEC.  Can you explain to me what is different?

Nebraska's leaving didn't destabilize the Big XII (even with Co, Mo & ATM leaving - it is still a viable conference).  Texas (& Oklahoma) leaving Does put the existence of the BXII in jeopardy. 

In other words, Nebraska left to Preserve it's position in the football world, which was becoming tenuous in the B XII (as proven by subsequent events).  Texas and Oklahoma (who had threatened to leave the B XII previously in a hook-up with the Pac 12) made their move strictly out of greed, knowing what their leaving would do to the remaining 8 schools. 

Texas has deep-sixed the past two conferences it has been in.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

How was it not the same?  Nebraska left the Big 12 for the money and stability of the Big 10.  Texas and OU are leaving the Big 12 for the money and stability of the SEC.  Can you explain to me what is different?

That's like saying beer and pepsi are the same because they're both liquid. 

Edit - didn't see reddons post but basically that 😃

Edited by cornfed24-7

I'm all for football re-organizing itself into super conferences that are separate from the NCAA (or college-athletics governance at all), so that the traditional conferences can re-set and re-form the regional conferences we knew and loved or create hyper-regional conferences for the Olympic sports.

Imagine a Great Plains conference that reconstituted the Big 8 but then also added Creighton, Wichita State, Oral Roberts and Drake. Less travel, lots of money saved, great rivalries.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

I'm all for football re-organizing itself into super conferences that are separate from the NCAA (or college-athletics governance at all), so that the traditional conferences can re-set and re-form the regional conferences we knew and loved or create hyper-regional conferences for the Olympic sports.

Imagine a Great Plains conference that reconstituted the Big 8 but then also added Creighton, Wichita State, Oral Roberts and Drake. Less travel, lots of money saved, great rivalries.

Pure Prairie League?

On 8/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, cornfed24-7 said:

That's like saying beer and pepsi are the same because they're both liquid. 

Edit - didn't see reddons post but basically that 😃

That literally makes no sense at all.  

My point is that schools make decision what they feel is in the their best interest.  NU left for the Big 10 because it provided more revenue and stability.  Texas and OU are basically doing the same thing and yet it's seems as a negative or greedy move.  Just seems like a double standard to me.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

My point is that schools make decision what they feel is in the their best interest.  NU left for the Big 10 because it provided more revenue and stability.  Texas and OU are basically doing the same thing and yet it's seems as a negative or greedy move.  Just seems like a double standard to me.

Who is blasting Texas and OU?  University Presidents' and ADs' ire seem aimed at the SEC, not at Texas and OU (with the one exception being Okie State...and understandably so).  

There's a difference between realignment that steals a team from another conference, and realignment that destroys another conference.  I think that is why you see the non-SEC powers all banding together right now.

3 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Sorry you can't see the correlation 😕

IMHO,  Texas and OU aren't leaving because they fear an unstable conference or that they won't be able to find a home.   The motivation is purely about money and being viewed in prime time.     I think ESPN also wants to get out of that LHN deal.    I wouldn't mind if all teams aligned against the SEC & ESPN.   

Edited by REDitus

On 8/4/2021 at 2:45 PM, aphilso1 said:

That's an interesting thought.  I'm not sure how the PAC12 adding teams like TTU, KSU and TCU will accomplish that though.  If the PAC12/B1G/ACC want to operate as a political voting block, they can do that without the PAC12 having to absorb deadweight Big12 schools.  And this latest powerplay by the SEC seems to have united everyone else.  See below quote from Washington State President--

“What the SEC has done is unify the other conferences in a way that nothing else could have, in terms of working together.  A lot of people now are very concerned about the predatory nature of the SEC. More presidents are talking. There’s a lot of back and forth.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/04/wsu-president-predatory-sec-has-unified-other-leagues-pac-12-expansion-depends-on-institutional-fit-and-revenue-potential/

Why?  What tangible benefit is there in adding teams just for the sake of having a larger conference? 

Agreed the B12 is dead.  Agreed that screwing over like-minded conferences like the P12 would be foolish.  Just not sure about that middle statement and whether it is actually worth poaching any B12 teams.  Kansas seems like a fit for the B1G from a basketball perspective while not spreading the geographic footprint too much.  That probably makes up for the deadweight of their football program.  I assume we'd need to add one more team to keep an even number.  I just don't see any of the other seven teams as adding value for the either the P12 or B1G.

I think you were spot on with this take.  

On 8/13/2021 at 8:43 PM, REDitus said:

Sooo...the KU and ISU to the big 10 is pretty much dead. Would the remaining schools from the big 8 join another conference? Could a number of the smaller conference join up?  

On 8/14/2021 at 8:27 AM, LK1 said:

I think you were spot on with this take.  

Thanks.  I didn't have any insider info, just put two and two together based on what the decision makers were saying.  Everyone likes to conjecture based on fan frenzy, but to get an idea of what is really going on you just have to pay attention to quotes by ADs and University Presidents.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:56 PM, Nighthawk said:

Sooo...the KU and ISU to the big 10 is pretty much dead. Would the remaining schools from the big 8 join another conference? Could a number of the smaller conference join up?  

Total cluster for the remaining teams.  They should make a pact to stay so they can get that massive penalty payout from whoever leaves before 2025, but it'll be interesting to see how the AAC and teams like Houston and BYU enter the convo.  

11 minutes ago, LK1 said:
On 8/14/2021 at 10:56 PM, Nighthawk said:

Total cluster for the remaining teams.  They should make a pact to stay so they can get that massive penalty payout from whoever leaves before 2025, but it'll be interesting to see how the AAC and teams like Houston and BYU enter the convo.

Say we had comparable lack of success and still in the Big 12, could you imagine the position we would be in right now?

57 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Say we had comparable lack of success and still in the Big 12, could you imagine the position we would be in right now?

I did imagine it...back in 2010.  I was very relieved to learn that we were able to get out when we did because I feared the most likely future outcome for us had we stayed in the Big 12.

Kansas is facing that outcome now.

19 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I still think our football brand, which is still in the top 10 in value, would get us our pick of the litter in terms of conferences despite our recent struggles.  I wouldn't have wanted to test that theory, however!