OT: You can't spell "SEC" without "Texas"

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

They discussed ALL this at length this morning on the Dan Patrick show, then started to question what happens with  programs in that next group Miami, Florida St, Washington. When they finally got around to mentioning Dear Old Nebraska U, one of the Dannettes chimed in with genuine befuddlement: “what happened to Nebraska”...?

And then they ran down the top 10 most profitable football programs in the country and Nebraska was at #10 at like 95 million dollars.  Alabama was at #9 less than a million ahead of DONU.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

And then they ran down the top 10 most profitable football programs in the country and Nebraska was at #10 at like 95 million dollars.  Alabama was at #9 less than a million ahead of DONU.

Very true, people like to pile on, but the power of the “N” is still REAL...

12 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:
2 hours ago, 49r said:

Expand  

Very true, people like to pile on, but the power of the “N” is still REAL...

We can't take that for granted though.

15 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

There'll be a vote for show, but it's already a done deal.

These steps wouldn't be happening if there hadn't already been complete and total confirming approval from the SEC and the schools involved. You don't take this kind of leap without knowing that the landing spot is ready and available and a sure thing.

No one in this situation would allow themselves to be left in a position of being hung out to dry.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/big-12-conference-sends-espn-cease-and-desist-letter-accuses-network-of-attempting-to-destabilize-conference/ar-AAMG4ha 

Espn trying to get convince other big12 teams to leave before OU and Texas so that they can leave immediately and not pay penalties?     Isn't that tampering or something? 

I did a search and maybe it's this..... Tortious interference.... You can be liable if you help someone breach a contract.   Can someone with a legal background comment?

Edited by REDitus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/big-12-conference-sends-espn-cease-and-desist-letter-accuses-network-of-attempting-to-destabilize-conference/ar-AAMG4ha 

Espn trying to get convince other big12 teams to leave before OU and Texas so that they can leave immediately and not pay penalties?     Isn't that tampering or something? 

I did a search and maybe it's this..... Tortious interference.... You can be liable if you help someone breach a contract.   Can someone with a legal background comment?

Respect to Bowlsby for finally standing up for the conference. Shoulda been doing more of that

But good, I hope they nail ESPN’s ass to the wall for this. It’s absolutely tampering, collusion, tortious interference and whatever else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, REDitus said:

I have no clue on the legal merits. But this seems to pass the sniff test. What I do know is there are gonna be A LOT of people with axes to grind. And I'd bet a few have DEEP pockets that don't mind how much it cost in legal fees to grind thier ax. 

4 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I have no clue on the legal merits. But this seems to pass the sniff test. What I do know is there are gonna be A LOT of people with axes to grind. And I'd bet a few have DEEP pockets that don't mind how much it cost in legal fees to grind thier ax. 

Yep.  Don't think the commish would risk slander if he didn't have something solid to back his claims against a corporation with that much influence.  

ESPN is the tail wagging the dog.    They have too much influence.   If my streaming subscription rates go up in the future to accommodate high contracts for a reconfigured SEC league, I'd drop it instantly and just listen on the radio.   Watch Nebraska reruns later.    They need a la carte.   I'd don't care about other leagues. 

Right, wrong or indifferent, ESPN is in the business to make money.  They have the TV rights to the SEC so of course they wanted this to happen.  Not sure they have broken any laws (or at least the we know about).  Just like Fox Sports owns TV rights to other conferences.  

The bigger issue for me is that this doesn't even look like college sports anymore.  Money and greed can just ruin everything.  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  What made college sports great was the traditions, rivalry games, playing other schools in your region of the country where you could just road trip, and college kids just being college kids and enjoying playing for the university they were attending.  Now, with NIL and mega conferences, money trumps everything.  We won't even be able to recognize college sports as they kids will all be in for the paycheck only.  

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Right, wrong or indifferent, ESPN is in the business to make money.  They have the TV rights to the SEC so of course they wanted this to happen.  Not sure they have broken any laws (or at least the we know about).  Just like Fox Sports owns TV rights to other conferences.  

The bigger issue for me is that this doesn't even look like college sports anymore.  Money and greed can just ruin everything.  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  What made college sports great was the traditions, rivalry games, playing other schools in your region of the country where you could just road trip, and college kids just being college kids and enjoying playing for the university they were attending.  Now, with NIL and mega conferences, money trumps everything.  We won't even be able to recognize college sports as they kids will all be in for the paycheck only.  

You sound like British people complaining about the Super League.

Oh, wait. That was all greed too, at the expense of community.

IF Florida State and Clemson go to the SEC, then that opens up the ACC for poaching (and should alter Notre Dame's plans for the future).  I think the BIG should go for a 24 team super conference.  My choices would be:

WEST                                 MIDWEST                                  MIDEAST                            EAST

UCLA                                  Nebraska                                   Indiana                               Ohio State

USC                                     Kansas                                      Notre Dame                       Penn State

Oregon                                Iowa                                           Illinois                                Rutgers

Washington                         Minnesota                                 Purdue                               Maryland

Stanford                              Wisconsin                                 Michigan                            North Carolina

Colorado                             Northwestern                           Michigan State                   Duke

Again, IF Clemson and Florida State leave the ACC, then the BIG 10 Conference should make an aggressive move to form the next super conference.  We would go coast-to-coast and capture all of the west coast audience with six PAC schools.  Notre Dame would realize their best prospects now lie with the new BIG 10.  North Carolina and Duke give us more of the east coast audience -- and GREAT basketball.  This new conference would keep us close to the SEC in terms of a football conference (its the best we could do). 

This new conference would EASILY be the best basketball conference in the country.   I would think our conference could sign a significant TV basketball deal that would generate a lot of money.  If the BIG can position itself to be close to the SEC in football and the DOMINATE conference in basketball, I would take it.