OT: You can't spell "SEC" without "Texas"

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Agreed. And my "at least consider" list is very short. That's the sad part about it.

Either the Big Ten will have to take some big swings from P5 schools or they'll end up with some fairly underwhelming adds.

It's a short list but I do think it has some realistic options.  Louisville in particular has no conference loyalty.  Give them the right deal and they jump, every time.  I'd personally go for Kentucky first, but Louisville would be a good backup plan and is only 2 hours away from Indianapolis.

I also wonder about UVA and VaTech as a package deal.

And then there's KU and ISU, who would almost assuredly be listening with both ears open at this point.  I have to think they are sick of the instability in the Big12 at this point.

I just don't see the B1G needing to consider adding non-P5 schools.

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Whoa whoa whoa, wait my dudes. Those South Carolinians know their shit when it comes to barbecue. Don't you go running down South Carolina when I'm around.

Whole Hog BBQ - South Carolina Style - YouTube

A significant chunk of Deliverance was filmed in South Carolina.  I rest my case.

18 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

It's a short list but I do think it has some realistic options.  Louisville in particular has no conference loyalty.  Give them the right deal and they jump, every time.  I'd personally go for Kentucky first, but Louisville would be a good backup plan and is only 2 hours away from Indianapolis.

Seems pretty improbable that academically Kentucky is a fit. Louisville certainly is not.

If your university isn't listed here, I doubt the Big 10 is going to come calling

51 minutes ago, jsthusker said:

Notre Dame and Kentucky

If schools were libations, this would be like ordering a Dom Perignon and Diet Coke. One doesn't mix and the other one is crap in a mixed drink compared to Coke.

Just read an article by a Michigan writer that says the Big 10 fans want Texas and Oklahoma more than they want KU.  If they took Texas, I'd hope that the first thing that they do is force Texas to drop the network.  That was one of the biggest mistakes in the Big 12.  There should have been a Big 12 Network. 

23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems pretty improbable that academically Kentucky is a fit. Louisville certainly is not.

If your university isn't listed here, I doubt the Big 10 is going to come calling

If schools were libations, this would be like ordering a Dom Perignon and Diet Coke. One doesn't mix and the other one is crap in a mixed drink compared to Coke.

Do we still care about AAU?  I thought that was more of a Jim Delaney thing, and really just cherry-picking an individual metric that would put Nebraska on the same academic threshold as the other B1G schools.  There's more than one metric by which to measure academic success, although you're likely correct that the Kentucky schools fall short regardless.  Louisville and Nebraska have nearly identical acceptance rates and average high school GPA among applicants, FWIW

Maybe Kansas would be considered from the Big 12's leftovers, but that'd be it. Iowa State has no shot. They add nothing in terms of eyeballs/TVs that the B1G doesn't already have with Iowa. 

It's going to be tough pulling ACC teams, as their TV rights deal goes to the mid-2030s, I think. Not sure how Notre Dame fits in the ACC's rights deal. Texas & Oklahoma can afford to buy their way out of the Big 12's deal - I don't know how many ACC teams would be able to survive that kind of financial fallout. 

Maybe the B1G could raid the SEC. Mizzou & A&M can't be happy about adding the Whorns. Maybe they'd jump. I don't think Kentucky would jump, but who knows. I don't think the SEC has the same kinds of buyout penalties as other leagues.

Otherwise, If I had to guess, the B1G will look way farther west. Like way out there. Not Hawaii out there, but still pretty far. 

FOX is looking to rival ESPN. ESPN has locked up the SEC and ACC. Wouldn't surprise me to see FOX team up with someone (a streaming service looking to jump into sports perhaps, like Amazon or Netflix) and try to formulate some sort of B1G / PAC-12 merger. As was shown during Covid, the B1G and PAC are much more on the same page off the field politically and in how they'd like to treat sports and academics than the other major leagues. And they both love the Rose Bowl in an unhealthy way. 

Bring enough PAC teams on board, and you could go to 20-24, keep the teams relatively split regionally, and cut travel costs for the Olympic sports.

East: Rutgers, Md, PSU, OSU, Mich, MSU, Ind, Purdue, Ill, NW

West: NU, Iowa, Wisc, Minn, USC, UCLA, Wash, Ore, Ariz, Stanford/Kansas

Sending NU & the other B1G schools out west would be untenable I would think. Wouldn't be a shock to see it go to 24 if they do decide to expand west. 

East: Rutgers, Md, PSU, OSU, Mich, MSU, Ind, Purdue

Central: NU, Iowa, Wisc, Minn, Ill, NW, Kan, Colo

West: USC, UCLA, Wash, Ore, Ariz, Stanford, Cal, Utah

For football, you split into four pods  - pods could rotate - maybe your last conference game opponent is determined by divisional standings, like they did in 2020. For the 4 pod leaders, that'd almost be like a semifinal before the conference championship game.

If Tex/Okla really do jump ship from the Big 12, the Big 10 could go nuclear. And FOX will be helping to drive the boat. The move toward a super conference separate of the NCAA would take a big jump forward, but it's likely inevitable anyway, so may as well rip off the Band-Aid.

Conference tournaments would be a little crazy for hoops and other sports, though. Who gets the quadruple-bye and who gets the quintuple-bye? 

Edited by throwback

21 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Do we still care about AAU?  I thought that was more of a Jim Delaney thing, and really just cherry-picking an individual metric that would put Nebraska on the same academic threshold as the other B1G schools.  There's more than one metric by which to measure academic success, although you're likely correct that the Kentucky schools fall short regardless.  Louisville and Nebraska have nearly identical acceptance rates and average high school GPA among applicants, FWIW

I still think this matters. I think the conference's response to covid relative to the other Power 5 schools lays out the balance of athletics vs academics in the B1G.

Iowa State and Kansas are decent additions.  It would allow Purdue to move East and eliminate the scheduling issue with them playing Indiana every year.

Texas A & M cannot be happy.  They want nothing to do with UT.  I would court the Aggies. Plenty of TV sets in Texas.  

Oklahoma State has a good athletic program in all areas. They could be considered.

BYU has to be very nervous with the impending era of 4 Super Conferences as their adherence to not playing on Sundays and conservative stance does not appeal to the liberal elite in the Ivory Towers of Academia.

In my opinion Kansas should be a shoo in to join the B1G.  Take Iowa State or Okie State but gauge  the Aggies to see if they would flee UT’s shadow.

Edited by Cazzie22
Spelling

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

If I were Warren, I'd be on the phone with the teams that feel burned after this Texas/OU move. Primarily Mizzou and A&M. See if either would have interest in joining the B1G along with Kansas. 

Edit: That would require forward thinking, so forget it. 

Saw something floating around out there today that UT & OU may be just throwing this out there in hopes that the one of the little 8 would try to jump in front and leave the Big 12 immediately. That negates the TV/GoR deal and gives UT & OU the freedom to go to the SEC now without penalty.

In other words, if the B1G were to try to counter these rumors by quickly adding Kansas, it would play right into the SEC's hands. 

I hope Warren has his chess set out and not the checkers board. And I really hope he doesn't have access to Candyland.

That's why I said that any school that is available today for the Big Ten will be available next year...5 years from now...30 years from now.  There is absolutely no need to rush on adding anyone to the Big Ten.  At all.

We should be very careful going forward.  No 16 team conference has ever managed to stay viable.  I'm not sure that this experiment will work out for the SEC like they hope either.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

That's why I said that any school that is available today for the Big Ten will be available next year...5 years from now...30 years from now.  There is absolutely no need to rush on adding anyone to the Big Ten.  At all.

We should be very careful going forward.  No 16 team conference has ever managed to stay viable.  I'm not sure that this experiment will work out for the SEC like they hope either.

Here we go Again!    This is probably the best thing I've read all day.  There is no reason for the B1G to feel like they have to rush into anything.  B1G is stability; why would you want to invite instability into the league. 

I just think we should all be very glad we are full-fledged members of the conference. I'm not sure where we'd wind up if we were still in the Big Twelve.

4 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Here we go Again!    This is probably the best thing I've read all day.  There is no reason for the B1G to feel like they have to rush into anything.  B1G is stability; why would you want to invite instability into the league. 

It's not a matter of instability within a conference (unless you're the Big 12), it's instability of the NCAA that some people should be worried about.

There's a good possibility this is smoke and mirrors to put some pressure on the NCAA.

You may very well be right that this is some sort of subterfuge, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing regarding stability.  

To 49r's point, a 16 member conference may not prove to be stable (same may apply to a 15 member league).   Without getting into a discussion of various scenarios, looking at some possibilities mentioned, i.e. 4 pods of 4 teams each, does not sound very appealing where you may not play other members of the conference for, say years.

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It's conceivable it would help us in football recruiting and the conference in revenue if we could grab a Texas school but boy that would be the B1G selling out on their unwritten rule that schools should be in the AAU.  Kansas and Iowa St are the logical choices; Is Kansas willing/able to leave Kansas St? Jim Delaney probably has Georgia Tech halfway in the boat already; after seeing how Kevin Warren ran things last year it's doubtful the conference does anything.

If I'm the Big 12 right now I'm eyeballing Houston and then making SMU and Tulsa fight it out to get you back to 10. Heck, eyeball a couple of MWC teams while you're telling everyone how great things will be without Texas.  Otherwise, time to dust off that Big 8 logo.

The B1G has a non-AAU school. 

40 minutes ago, Red Don said:

You may very well be right that this is some sort of subterfuge, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing regarding stability.  

To 49r's point, a 16 member conference may not prove to be stable (same may apply to a 15 member league).   Without getting into a discussion of various scenarios, looking at some possibilities mentioned, i.e. 4 pods of 4 teams each, does not sound very appealing where you may not play other members of the conference for, say years.

To make it more clear on my end, I don't think this is about getting a 16th member in a conference. I see it as more of putting pressure on the NCAA.

So to me, the result is either status quo or breaking of the power of the NCAA, not some strategy of a 16 team conference.