OT: You can't spell "SEC" without "Texas"

The Big Ten doesn't need to add any new teams. They need to add a Conference.

Merge the BIG TEN and PAC 12 adding two extra teams in the process.

Insert New League name here (28 teams)

BIG TEN Conference (14 teams)

EAST Division (7 teams)

Indiana

Maryland

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

NORTH Division (7 Teams)

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Purdue

Wisconsin

PAC 12 Conference (14 teams)

WEST Division (7 teams)

California

Oregon

Oregon State

San Diego State (or Kansas if you want it to be weird)

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH Division (7 Teams)

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

Texas Tech

USC

UCLA

Utah

Each team plays the other teams in their own division (6 games)

Then 2 teams from the other division in their Conference.

And 1 game against each division of the other Conference. 

Giving each team a 10 game regular season.

Then the divisional winners play in a Conference championship game.

EAST champ and NORTH champ play each other in the Big Ten title game. 

WEST champ and SOUTH champ play each other in the PAC 12 title game.

Winners play in the Rose Bowl for the League Championship.

Winner plays the SEC champion for the National Championship. OR you say fluff the SEC and name the RoseBowl champion the National Champion As the new Big Ten/Pac 12 league is the only league that goes coast to coast and Border to Border.

2 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

The Big Ten doesn't need to add any new teams. They need to add a Conference.

Merge the BIG TEN and PAC 12 adding two extra teams in the process.

Insert New League name here (28 teams)

BIG TEN Conference (14 teams)

EAST Division (7 teams)

Indiana

Maryland

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

NORTH Division (7 Teams)

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Purdue

Wisconsin

PAC 12 Conference (14 teams)

WEST Division (7 teams)

California

Oregon

Oregon State

San Diego State (or Kansas if you want it to be weird)

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH Division (7 Teams)

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

Texas Tech

USC

UCLA

Utah

Each team plays the other teams in their own division (6 games)

Then 2 teams from the other division in their Conference.

And 1 game against each division of the other Conference. 

Giving each team a 10 game regular season.

Then the divisional winners play in a Conference championship game.

EAST champ and NORTH champ play each other in the Big Ten title game. 

WEST champ and SOUTH champ play each other in the PAC 12 title game.

Winners play in the Rose Bowl for the League Championship.

Winner plays the SEC champion for the National Championship. OR you say fluff the SEC and name the RoseBowl champion the National Champion As the new Big Ten/Pac 12 league is the only league that goes coast to coast and Border to Border.

You know what would make all the old Big Ten schools happy? A 20-team conference with two 10-team divisions, one consisting of the original 10 and another with five teams out west and five to the east:

Original Recipe Division

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Michigan

MSU

Minnesota

Northwestern

Ohio State

Purdue

Wisconsin

Extra Crispy Division

Maryland

Rutgers

Penn State

Nebraska

(Now pick two on the Eastern side)

Notre Dame

Virginia

North Carolina

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

(Now pick four from the West)

Kansas

Colorado

Utah

Arizona

USC

UCLA

Oregon

Washington

Stanford

California

43 minutes ago, jayschool said:

You know what would make all the old Big Ten schools happy? A 20-team conference with two 10-team divisions, one consisting of the original 10 and another with five teams out west and five to the east:

Original Recipe Division

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Michigan

MSU

Minnesota

Northwestern

Ohio State

Purdue

Wisconsin

Extra Crispy Division

Maryland

Rutgers

Penn State

Nebraska

(Now pick two on the Eastern side)

Notre Dame

Virginia

North Carolina

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

(Now pick four from the West)

Kansas

Colorado

Utah

Arizona

USC

UCLA

Oregon

Washington

Stanford

California

This is an interesting proposal, but it has a few issues.

1. The ACC owns the rights to it's members until 2036. Making it incredibly difficult and costly to poach any of those schools.-You can count Notre Dame as an ACC school. Which is why I left them off my list. In a perfect world Notre Dame, UNC and Virginia are desires 1 2 and 3 for the Big Ten, but they are not viable.

1a. Pitt and Syracuse add nothing of value. Penn State absolutely will veto any attempt at bringing in Pitt and adding Syracuse just makes the addition of Rutgers redundant.

2 For some reason the most important thing to this Conference is the Rose Bowl. Most of the Big Ten decision makers still absolutely refuse anything that jeprodises the intact and important status of that game so gutting the Pac 12 without significantly absorbing them is going to be a tough sell. 4 teams may be enough. I don't know

3. The travel for that division is a nightmare. You basically have one division that could drive to most of their games and another that has to live on an airplane the entire season. It's unfair and untenable.

Edited by Blackshirt83

why is everyone wanting to merge with the the Pac 12?  People complain about 11am games now but the reason the Pac 12 gets no national attention is because the rest of the country is asleep when they play their games.  If you think you need to merge, why not just take the remaining 6 of the remaining 8 schools from the Big 12 and make a 20 team conference.  I'd much rather taking schools like Oklahoma St, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Kansas, etc. and stay in the same time zone at least.  Seems more appealing than adding teams from the Pac-12 

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

why is everyone wanting to merge with the the Pac 12?  People complain about 11am games now but the reason the Pac 12 gets no national attention is because the rest of the country is asleep when they play their games.  If you think you need to merge, why not just take the remaining 6 of the remaining 8 schools from the Big 12 and make a 20 team conference.  I'd much rather taking schools like Oklahoma St, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Kansas, etc. and stay in the same time zone at least.  Seems more appealing than adding teams from the Pac-12 

Because this is about money. Those teams dilute the pool. I don't like it either. 

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Not necessarily, lots of talk down here that KU to the Big Ten is more than just message board rumors...

🤮

Edited by 49r

16 hours ago, 49r said:

Not necessarily, lots of talk down here that KU to the Big Ten is more than just message board rumors...

🤮

I agree as think KU will end up in the Big 10 but the rest of the conference could merge with the Pac 12.  I'd absolutely love to have KU for basketball purposes but definitely not a splash move for football purposes.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Adding Kansas to the Big Ten would basically be ceding the spot as the top college conference - permanently - to the SEC.  That's not great. 

That is 100% correct.  SEC adds Texas & OU and the Big 10 adds Kansas?  Not a good look

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

I agree as think KU will end up in the Big 10 but the rest of the conference could merge with the Pac 12.  I'd absolutely love to have KU for basketball purposes but definitely not a splash move for football purposes.

Disagree.  Adding KU would help our football program immensely.

KU should be able to meet the academic standards of the B1G easily and it would give everyone an excuse to see Naismith's original rules of basketball. Also it was always fun to tailgate in Lawrence and see the stadium filled with mostly red spectators. The problem might be the "rule" the legislators suggested several years ago that KU and KSU would have to be a package deal in any move to another conference. 

8 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

KU should be able to meet the academic standards of the B1G easily and it would give everyone an excuse to see Naismith's original rules of basketball. Also it was always fun to tailgate in Lawrence and see the stadium filled with mostly red spectators. The problem might be the "rule" the legislators suggested several years ago that KU and KSU would have to be a package deal in any move to another conference. 

I wonder though if these legislators have a different view of a "rule" like that now. My thinking is if you want those two schools to stay together they both end up getting left out when the dust settles. If I were them and I could get 1 school in a power conference I take that option everyday and twice on sunday. 

21 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I don't know why the PAC12 would want the remaining eight Big12 teams.  Adding the leftovers from a dying conference would not help the PAC12's reputation at all.  It would do the opposite and water it down.  I understand that it would create more matchups in earlier TV time slots, which in theory may boost TV revenue.  But when you realize those games are being played in places like Lubbock TX and Manhattan KS, I highly doubt that theoretical TV revenue boost becomes a reality.  Big12 viewership was almost exclusively tied to games that UT and OU were playing in.  Games like Arizona at West Virginia will be ignored by the country as a whole.

Negatives:

-Increased travel costs

-Watered down competition level

-replacing historic rivalry games with cross-country snoozefests

Positives:

-Playing games earlier in the day when East Coasters are still awake

Just seems like a bad idea if you're the PAC12.