How productive will Bryce be as a freshman?

aphilso1

Like many of you, I am hoping that Bryce will be our best player this season.  5 stars don't grow on trees, ya know?  To temper and/or validate expectations, I just looked up the past five players who held the same Rivals ranking as Bryce (#26) in their respective recruiting classes to see what their freshman production level was.  I looked at minutes, points, shooting percentage, and either rebounds or assists depending on what position they were recruited as.  The results are, well, kind of all across the board.

2020 Kristian Lander (PG, Indiana) - 10.2 mpg, 2.1 ppg, 1.2 apg, .257 FG% (yikes!!)

2019 Oscar Tshiebwe (C, West Virginia) - 23.2 mpg, 11.2 ppg, 9.3 rpg, .552 FG%

2018 Coby White (SG, North Carolina) - 28.5 mpg, 16.1 ppg, 4.1 apg, .423 FG%

2017 Emmanuel Akot (SF, Arizona) - 10.4 mpg, 1.8 ppg, 1.1 rpg, .389 FG%

2016 VJ King (SF, Louisville) - 13.5 mpg, 5.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg, .436 FG%

A couple of those stat lines really jump out in a good way.  Tshiebwe had a phenomenal frosh season, nearly averaging a double double while garnering 2nd Team All-Big 12 honors.  White put up gaudy numbers in his one season in Chapel Hill, was named a 2nd Team All-ACC player, and was a one-and-done #7 overall pick in the NBA draft.  Then there is the "cautionary tale" side of the list. Lander struggled to make any kind of impact for the Hoosiers last season.  Ditto for Akot at Zona in 2017.  King had an OK-ish freshman year.

And perhaps looking just a tad too far down the road, it is interesting to see where these players are now.

Lander - entered name in transfer portal after one season, but decided to stay at IU for 2021-22.

Tshiebwe - two seasons at WVU before transferring to Kentucky.

White - aforementioned #7 pick in NBA draft.  Starter for Chicago Bulls last year.

Akot - two years at Zona before transferring to Boise State. 9.1 ppg/3.6 rpg last year for the Broncos.

King - Three down-and-up-and-down-again years at Louisville before declaring for the draft.  UFA.  Landed in G-league.

9 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Like many of you, I am hoping that Bryce will be our best player this season.  5 stars don't grow on trees, ya know?  To temper and/or validate expectations, I just looked up the past five players who held the same Rivals ranking as Bryce (#26) in their respective recruiting classes to see what their freshman production level was.  I looked at minutes, points, shooting percentage, and either rebounds or assists depending on what position they were recruited as.  The results are, well, kind of all across the board.

2020 Kristian Lander (PG, Indiana) - 10.2 mpg, 2.1 ppg, 1.2 apg, .257 FG% (yikes!!)

2019 Oscar Tshiebwe (C, West Virginia) - 23.2 mpg, 11.2 ppg, 9.3 rpg, .552 FG%

2018 Coby White (SG, North Carolina) - 28.5 mpg, 16.1 ppg, 4.1 apg, .423 FG%

2017 Emmanuel Akot (SF, Arizona) - 10.4 mpg, 1.8 ppg, 1.1 rpg, .389 FG%

2016 VJ King (SF, Louisville) - 13.5 mpg, 5.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg, .436 FG%

A couple of those stat lines really jump out in a good way.  Tshiebwe had a phenomenal frosh season, nearly averaging a double double while garnering 2nd Team All-Big 12 honors.  White put up gaudy numbers in his one season in Chapel Hill, was named a 2nd Team All-ACC player, and was a one-and-done #7 overall pick in the NBA draft.  Then there is the "cautionary tale" side of the list. Lander struggled to make any kind of impact for the Hoosiers last season.  Ditto for Akot at Zona in 2017.  King had an OK-ish freshman year.

And perhaps looking just a tad too far down the road, it is interesting to see where these players are now.

Lander - entered name in transfer portal after one season, but decided to stay at IU for 2021-22.

Tshiebwe - two seasons at WVU before transferring to Kentucky.

White - aforementioned #7 pick in NBA draft.  Starter for Chicago Bulls last year.

Akot - two years at Zona before transferring to Boise State. 9.1 ppg/3.6 rpg last year for the Broncos.

King - Three down-and-up-and-down-again years at Louisville before declaring for the draft.  UFA.  Landed in G-league.

Both the McGowens mentioned in their podcast they plan on going to the draft next year so I doubt we’d see either of them after this year. I don’t know how much Bryce will want to stay in college without his bro. Strikes me as someone who wants to start developing his game immediately in the G-League. Thus, hoping for a great season for both this year. 

Just happened to see this elsewhere. fwiw. 

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-basketball-Bryce-McGowens--168021460/?fbclid=IwAR1CcsDRjNW8kM-f-W4GfG2oYUPsuoQS4H7LJWNf7J1MbXNUxXi-GXgiDQU

Bryce McGowens takes on Husker experience with a plan, and brotherly love

"Bryce? Special," said Husker junior Lat Mayen, who sees the high-end possibilities in his teammates as a scorer and someone who can defend 1 through 4 on the floor. "He doesn't play like a freshman." 

The 6-6 guard was relaxed and humble as he spoke with local reporters about his new teammates, the expectations and the board that surely has something scrawled about one day going high on another (draft) board. Just as much, though, the conversation moved back to his big brother.

Edited by Red Don

The thing to keep in mind is just cause he is a 5 star doesnt mean his stats will pop.  Players with outstanding numbers dont always get drafted and vice versa.  NBA will draft a lot on potential and skill set which doesnt always translate to numbers.  It always amazes me how many players excel in college based on their numbers, yet dont get drafted or are a minor piece in the NBA or never make it.  The NBA is unique where it really is the best of the best and of course the number of spots is minimal.  Hopefully though he does excel here and is a big impact that we havent seen in awhile.

He can be the best player on the floor without putting up Kris Humphrie type numbers (led the B1G in scoring/rebounding as a Frosh, married a Kardashian) Hopefully he's surrounded by enough other good players who can share the scoring load, that he essentially takes on a James Palmer type role where if you HAVE to get a bucket, give him the ball...