2021 MLB Draft

Bugeaters1

Also with Kopps I don't think scouts see much upside remaining for him - I think he's 24, so what you see now is what you're going to get. Also, as HB mentioned, a ton of mileage on that arm.

That said, he'd probably be able to join the Padres bullpen and get some outs right now. There's no point in starting him at A or even AA. Better see what you've got with him at a high level as quickly as possible.

Gotta think Povich is gone for sure. Turning down almost $600K would be a huge risk. There is upside available by coming back, but it's a pretty big risk to try to jump from round 3 to round 1.. 

Good news is the only way we're losing incoming freshmen Christo or Mason now is if some team calls them tonight to see if either of them has had a change of heart with the signing bonus they want. Teams could go a bit above the slot money and grab one of them tomorrow, but both players would have to come down quite a bit from what it sounds like they initially were requesting. That'd be very unlikely at this point. 

Schwellenbach signed for $1M. Got to imagine Povich will also be signing soon. 

Schwelly did sign for just under the slot value. That seems to be happening quite often this season, and some guys are signing for quite a bit less than slot. I doubt that affects Povich's decision much. However, if the Twins try to really low-ball him, it could, since he still has 2 years of college eligibility left.

So far, no non-drafted Husker underclassmen have signed free agent contracts. 

Hallmark signed a free agent contract with Houston. No surprise there. He was ready to move on. Good luck to him!

And it sounds like Povich signed today with the Twins. No surprise there either.

I'd lean toward that being all we lose, but there's always a chance some team jumps in with a late offer if they lose out on some of their draft picks. Aug. 1 deadline.

Edited by throwback

16 hours ago, throwback said:

Hallmark signed a free agent contract with Houston. No surprise there. He was ready to move on. Good luck to him!

And it sounds like Povich signed today with the Twins. No surprise there either.

I'd lean toward that being all we lose, but there's always a chance some team jumps in with a late offer if they lose out on some of their draft picks. Aug. 1 deadline.

With a max budget of 20K for undrafted free agents you won't have too many guys jumping.

2 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

With a max budget of 20K for undrafted free agents you won't have too many guys jumping.

True, unless they're just ready to move on and don't care about signing bonus. Like Hallmark already being graduated. He'd have no leverage in the draft next year, so if a fourth-year junior like him is ready to move on, they might as well sign as a free agent and go, even if the bonus money sucks.

Coming back on partial scholarship and racking up more student loans to take graduate classes may not sound all that appealing to guys versus starting a pro career, even with a lousy or no signing bonus.

Thought I read Houston was Hallmark's only actual offer, which is kind of surprising. Not sure what the scouts don't like about his game. He is a little undersized, but he showed good power all year long, along with great speed and defense. 

I know we have a few other fourth-year juniors who would've signed no questions asked (like Wynne) if they had been drafted. So I think they'd at least listen to free agent offers. At this point, I'd guess we don't lose anyone else, but if some random team has several draft picks who choose not to sign, they might reach out at the last minute next week.

Really a strange time for guys looking to turn pro with the cut back in the number of rounds in the draft and the cuts in the minor league teams. Has to be hard to determine the best path forward for a lot of these guys.

Edited by throwback

• 2 weeks later...