We need an off-topic board

Favorite beer: Currently Longboard by Kona Brewing Co

Favorite Spirit: Gin (Monkey 47)

Favorite cuisine: Cajun/creole followed by Italian

Favorite NBA team: Celtics (ever since the days of Larry Legend and Kevin McHale)

Favorite athlete of all time: Arnold Palmer (not only an all-time great, but just seemed like a dude you could sit and have an Arnold Palmer with and he'd be just like a regular guy.)

"Vacations" or "trips"?: Vacations, definitely

Beach, mountains, big city or theme park?: Beach in a slight win over mountains

Missed your calling?: Chef

Bitcoin or nah?: Nah

Fred or Frost?: Fred

I'm sorry that I missed the fun last night!  Here are my stone cold sober responses

Favorite beer: Depends a lot on the season/mood. Right now I'm digging a beer made specifically for (and only available at) Sporting KC games.  Argyle Ale from Breckenridge Brewery

Favorite Spirit: Macallan 12 year

Favorite cuisine: Steak and Potatoes

Favorite NBA team: Don't really care for the NBA, was a big fan of the Bad Boys Pistons back in the 80's but now I'd probably have to say Nuggets.  (Also I like to watch OKC from time to time to catch Isaiah when I can)

Favorite athlete of all time:  Don't think I could narrow it down to just one

"Vacations" or "trips"?: I love taking trips, but they are meant to compliment my vacations, not interfere with them if that makes any sense.

Beach, mountains, big city or theme park?: The North Woods

Missed your calling?: Landscape Architect maybe?

Favorite beer: Maui Brewing Imperial Coconut Porter. 

Favorite Spirit: Bourbons in general.  Four Roses Single Barrel would be my choice for something that is always available on the store shelves. I could list a dozen that are better off the top of my head, but good luck finding them.

Favorite cuisine: Pub fare.

Favorite NBA team: Jazz, I guess.  I think they would ship me back to Nebraska if I answered differently given my current locale.

Favorite athlete of all time: Don’t think I have one.  As a kid my favorites were Ozzie Smith and Gary Payton.

"Vacations" or "trips"?: Trips.

Beach, mountains, big city or theme park?: Mountains by a wide margin.  I hike, bike, or ski in them 3-4x per week.

Missed your calling?: Statistician.

Bitcoin or nah?: Nah.

11 minutes ago, 49r said:

Beach, mountains, big city or theme park?: The North Woods

Any region in particular? I've been to the North Shore above Duluth and loved it.  Ditto for Western Montana and the stovepipe section of Idaho.  I think those are all considered part of the Northwoods.

EDIT: And Yellowstone/Tetons! Can't believe I forgot NW Wyoming.  One of my favorite places (if you can ignore all the people).

Edited by aphilso1

Just now, aphilso1 said:

Any region in particular? I've been to the North Shore above Duluth and loved it.  Ditto for Western Montana and the stovepipe section of Idaho.  I think those are all considered part of the Northwoods.

I go up to the Superior north shore (Cook County MN) every summer, love it up there.  When I lived in Boston I would love going up to Piscataquis, Penobscot and Aroostoock Counties in Maine in the fall.

Been up to Northern Idaho too and I made a promise to myself that if I ever won the lottery, I'm buying a place in Sun Valley.

12 minutes ago, 49r said:

I go up to the Superior north shore (Cook County MN) every summer, love it up there.  When I lived in Boston I would love going up to Piscataquis, Penobscot and Aroostoock Counties in Maine in the fall.

Been up to Northern Idaho too and I made a promise to myself that if I ever won the lottery, I'm buying a place in Sun Valley.

Nice, I think we enjoy the same places.  Pro tip: Sandpoint ID is a worthy replacement for Sun Valley and only costs you an arm, rather than both an arm and a leg.  Just a stone's throw from Coeur d'Alene and about 2 hours from Missoula, which are also awesome places (although quite crowded in the summer months).  

I have so many questions I want to dig into, but I want people to have a chance to see/answer the questions above before this thread moves onto something else.

Next question is what are you getting ads for in the threads on HHC?

@49r and @aphilso1 there was a time in my life where North Woods and hikes in Idaho would have won the day and it wouldn't have even been a contest (hiked through Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon just this past November). But lately, give me a lounge chair on a beach and let me fall asleep to the sounds of the surf rolling in.

Macallan 12 yr is a solid choice for a single malt, and I'm going to have to test out that Maui Coconut Porter.

19 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Nice, I think we enjoy the same places.  Pro tip: Sandpoint ID is a worthy replacement for Sun Valley and only costs you an arm, rather than both an arm and a leg.  Just a stone's throw from Coeur d'Alene and about 2 hours from Missoula, which are also awesome places (although quite crowded in the summer months).  

Sandpoint looks nice.  I really need to get back to that area sometime and explore more.  That's the beauty of the north.  So much to see up there and not so many people!

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

@49r and @aphilso1 there was a time in my life where North Woods and hikes in Idaho would have won the day and it wouldn't have even been a contest (hiked through Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon just this past November). But lately, give me a lounge chair on a beach and let me fall asleep to the sounds of the surf rolling in.

Nothing wrong with a beach.  I do enjoy tossing one back, reading a good book, and listening to the waves crash against the beach.  I'm just not much of a boating/swimming/paddling guy, so for me a beach is a one trick pony while the mountains have infinite exploration and recreation opportunities.  There's nothing quite like biking your way up to a mountain peak and then getting that adrenaline boost on the downhill.  Amazing workout and tons of fun all in one package.  And the views...oh, the views.

Favorite beer: Stiegl Grapefruit Rattler

Favorite Spirit: Vodka (Absolut)

Favorite cuisine: Japanese followed by Italian 

Favorite NBA team: Lakers (although I haven't watched an NBA game all the way through since Jordan's original retirement

Favorite athlete of all time: I can't really choose one.  I don't think I've followed one enough to say they are my favorite. 

"Vacations" or "trips"?: Can't say vacations,  I tend to turn my vacations into working trips. I see if where I'm going has a roller derby team and if they are playing.  If they are I contact them and ask if I can come photograph their bouts.  Never had one turn me down.

Beach, mountains, big city or theme park?: Mountains...more wildlife to photography.  I don't think a lot of the WILD life on a beach would like me to be photographing them. 

Missed your calling?: Intergalactic freedom fighter battling the evil empire to save the princess from the dark lord. 

Fred or Frost?: Fred 101 % of the time. 

Favorite beer: 1) free. 2) whatever I’m drinking at the moment. 

Favorite Spirit: I don’t have one. 

Favorite cuisine: BBQ. 

Favorite NBA team: I don’t pay attention enough to really care. But if I had to say, I’d go with the Lakers (loved Magic and the boys!)

Favorite athlete of all time: can’t say this is something I’ve ever thought about. I cheer hard for Phil Mickelson right now. 

"Vacations" or "trips"?: Vacations

Beach, mountains, big city or theme park?: Mountains, but I’d listen to Jimmy Buffett anyway. 

Missed your calling?: Something in radio

Bitcoin or nah?: I’d love to have some!

Fred or Frost?: Fred. Easiest answer here. 

Favorite beer: Steel Beach or Claritas by Mike Hess

Favorite Spirit: Bourbon. Basil Hayden. But its usually a glass of red wine for me.

Favorite cuisine: Mexican

Favorite NBA team: Whoever has a Husker on the team.

Favorite athlete of all time: Jordan. 

"Vacations" or "trips"?: Trips. Vacations are too long.

Beach, mountains, big city or theme park?: Moutains. The smell of the air. The briskness as the temperature drops when the sun goes down. The ability to hike far enough where there are no other people 😃

Missed your calling?: I actually think I stumbled into mine. I'm a Labor and Delivery Nurse. Its a double edged sword though. I feel like I found what I am supposed to be doing but I'm not sure the positives of what I do outwiegh the negatives.

Bitcoin or nah?: Nah, bunch of suckers.

Fred or Frost?: Fred and before him Miles and before him Doc...

On 7/9/2021 at 10:00 AM, Norm Peterson said:

I have so many questions I want to dig into, but I want people to have a chance to see/answer the questions above before this thread moves onto something else.

Next question is what are you getting ads for in the threads on HHC?

Macallan 12 yr is a solid choice for a single malt, and I'm going to have to test out that Maui Coconut Porter.

You know what's also a good solid drink?  Masterson's Rye Whiskey.  Love that stuff.

Favorite beer: Fallen Angel

Favorite Spirit: Gin and Tonic

Favorite athlete of all time: Probably Ryan Zimmerman. Tim Burke and Shavon Shields are pretty high on my list, too.

Beach, mountains, big city or theme park?: Big city, then mountains. Don't have much beach experience, but I think we're going soon, so I can update then.

Edited by uneblinstu

Favorite Beer: Kros Strain Fairy Nectar DDH

Favorite Spirit: Rum, mostly drink beer

Favorite Athlete of all Time:. Jerry Rice, so graceful and dominant

Vacations or Trips: Vacations, it's nice to get away for a while

Beach, mountains or big city?: Big city, I like trying new restaurants, breweries and seeing ball parks/stadiums

Fred or Frost: Fred but I respected Frost's toughness as a QB greatly

Edited by No Place Like the Vault

My age will show with some of my answers.

Beer: Best I’ve tasted is Urquell Pilsner in Prague or 4X Gold in Queensland 

Favorite Spirit: Dalwhinnie Scotch 15 years old

Favorite Cuisine: Seafood

Favorite NBA Team: Jerry West Lakers teams

Favorite All Time Athlete: Mickey Mantle

Vacation or Trips:  I am retired so I choose trips

Mountains, particularly the Tetons or the Glorious Denali in Alaska

Missed your calling: Sports Commentary

Bitcoin or nah? Nah

Fred or Frost? Still have faith in Fred

Beer: most malty brown ales

Drink: margaritas (usually drink beer)