Alonzo Verge Jr.

atskooc

He worked out with Charlotte, and the feedback was encouraging. Reps from the Hornets saw him as a strong fit for their G League team. Pro officials said he could work on building up his 6-3, 170-pound frame, but liked his vocal nature on the floor and energy, and didn't know he could facilitate like he did.

"But I took time and I just went with my heart," Verge said. "I felt like I want to win an NCAA Tournament game before I stop playing college basketball."

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-basketball-Alonzo-Verge-Jr--168352138/

Edited by Red Don

• 2 months later...

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-basketball-Alonzo-Verge-Jr-173387527/

Nice write-up on Verge.

A lot of times guys like Banton will get feedback from the NBA about a skill they need to improve on and it will be something like 3pt shooting and you then have a guy working on a weakness while you're trying to win games.

With Verge being told to work on his PG skills, it feels more like this is an ability he already possesses and this is a team that doesn't have someone like Remy Martin who is probably a superior version of Verge. To me it seems like we aligned vision for success and we'll see if that happens or if Verge ends up shooting too much for either of our benefits.

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-basketball-Alonzo-Verge-Jr-173387527/

Nice write-up on Verge.

A lot of times guys like Banton will get feedback from the NBA about a skill they need to improve on and it will be something like 3pt shooting and you then have a guy working on a weakness while you're trying to win games.

With Verge being told to work on his PG skills, it feels more like this is an ability he already possesses and this is a team that doesn't have someone like Remy Martin who is probably a superior version of Verge. To me it seems like we aligned vision for success and we'll see if that happens or if Verge ends up shooting too much for either of our benefits.

Good sign that Walker likes him, because Walker is super high character and very smart.  

Verge seems to be a bit Rondo-ish.  I like it.  

Fairly excited to see what Verge can do at PG early on this fall. He sure had a lot of shake & bake in the Opening Night event, sprinkled in with a bit of pizzazz. It's the substance I want to see against the likes of CU (Oct. 31 exh.) & CU (Nov. 16). I hope he's the real deal, NBA-potential dude that could help take NU to a new level.

Verge was a big pickup.  I like the fact that Verge and Walker can be very effective in the pick&roll and then you can bring in Wil and do 5 out clear out to let Verge get downhill.   2 different ways of stressing the defense.   I would measure his success by seeing most of his points come from layups with a good assist to turnover ratio from kickouts.   On defense, his quickness will help with on the ball defense.      

On 10/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, REDitus said:

Verge was a big pickup.  I like the fact that Verge and Walker can be very effective in the pick&roll and then you can bring in Wil and do 5 out clear out to let Verge get downhill.   2 different ways of stressing the defense.   I would measure his success by seeing most of his points come from layups with a good assist to turnover ratio from kickouts.   On defense, his quickness will help with on the ball defense.      

Huuuuuuge pickup.

The loss of Dalano would have doomed this team to .500 or lower without Verge.

• 4 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 11:47 PM, AuroranHusker said:

Fairly excited to see what Verge can do at PG early on this fall. He sure had a lot of shake & bake in the Opening Night event, sprinkled in with a bit of pizzazz. It's the substance I want to see against the likes of CU (Oct. 31 exh.) & CU (Nov. 16). I hope he's the real deal, NBA-potential dude that could help take NU to a new level.

Well @hskr4life had me lookin' for prior quotes. . . didn't seem too far off: The substance always trumps the shake/bake/pizzazz. Verge really needed Trey all season, that 15-game stint where Trey was out hurt the backcourt, significantly so.

Edited by AuroranHusker

13 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Umm... 😅

On 10/21/2021 at 8:39 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

Huuuuuuge pickup.

The loss of Dalano would have doomed this team to .500 or lower without Verge.

There, now it ages better. 🙄

Or maybe:

The loss of Dalano would have doomed this team to .200 or lower without Verge.  ???

We should have a day after the season ends to revisit the worst pre-season posts. (I might have better entries than this.)

The winner could get the HHC No-stradamus Award.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Or maybe:

The loss of Dalano would have doomed this team to .200 or lower without Verge.  ???

We should have a day after the season ends to revisit the worst pre-season posts. (I might have better entries than this.)

Shaq'tin A Fool 🙃

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Or maybe:

I picked us at 20 wins in the bonus contest in the Western Illinois HHCC thread.  Most picks were 16 and above.

Big time shout out and good luck to @basketballjones who picked us to have just 10 total wins this year.  If we can get the W against Wisco… he’ll get the bonus!

41 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I picked us at 20 wins in the bonus contest in the Western Illinois HHCC thread.  Most picks were 16 and above.

Big time shout out and good luck to @basketballjones who picked us to have just 10 total wins this year.  If we can get the W against Wisco… he’ll get the bonus!

Woah. I did? Nice.

I saw that stat earlier.  Pretty impressive, and made me realize that we as a collective fanbase have been much too hard on Zo.  The fan narrative all season has been that's he's selfish, makes bad decisions, and the ball sticks in his hands.  It's pretty tough to lead the B1G in assists if that narrative is true.  While he does make some bad decisions still, his growth and maturation at the PG position has been evident this year.  I for one wish he had another year of eligibilty for us, now that he seems to have really turned the corner and is able to balance being a playmaker and distributor.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Or, NU could be getting that 10th W in the opener of the Big Ten Tournament. . . .

11 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I saw that stat earlier.  Pretty impressive, and made me realize that we as a collective fanbase have been much too hard on Zo.  The fan narrative all season has been that's he's selfish, makes bad decisions, and the ball sticks in his hands.  It's pretty tough to lead the B1G in assists if that narrative is true.  While he does make some bad decisions still, his growth and maturation at the PG position has been evident this year.  I for one wish he had another year of eligibilty for us, now that he seems to have really turned the corner and is able to balance being a playmaker and distributor.

Part of it is because people have been inaccurately comparing him to Teddy Allen when the obvious comp was Bo Spencer 

Otherwise taking out frustrations on the leading scorers of a bad team is a time honored tradition.

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Part of it is because people have been inaccurately comparing him to Teddy Allen when the obvious comp was Bo Spencer 

I called him Bo Spencer back in December.  Although Verge has really improved as a distributor since then, and I no longer would say that he "doesn't make other players better." 

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I'll be guilty of that and take the brunt of it. I've been critical of his decision making as a lead guard, but it seems like he's finally turned a corner. I wish he had done this throughout the year, but I'm happy they are putting together an exceptional offensive showing now. It could be used as a recruiting pitch "you see what the offense looks like when executed at a high level? You can do that just like verge did" Fred and co says to a transfer PG in the offseason. 

I'm happy verge has put it together.