Alonzo Verge Jr.

atskooc

59 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

"Our best player"?!  Wow!  That's got to be the highest optimism yet, right?

I'd say the source inside the program who thinks he could be an all-american is giving higher optimism than me saying he could be our best player. Nebraska's best player will not necessarily be an all-american, but if there is an all-american on the roster, he will most certainly be Nebraska's best player. 

Objectively, who on our roster has been better than Verge at this level? It's not hard for me to imagine that a guy who had better individual seasons the past two years than anyone we have on our roster (on much better teams than Nebraska has had during that time) could end up being our best player. Analytically, he was Arizona State's second best player the past two seasons, behind Remy Martin, who will probably be the preseason Big 12 POY at Kansas.  

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I'd say the source inside the program who thinks he could be an all-american is giving higher optimism than me saying he could be our best player. Nebraska's best player will not necessarily be an all-american, but if there is an all-american on the roster, he will most certainly be Nebraska's best player. 

Objectively, who on our roster has been better than Verge at this level? It's not hard for me to imagine that a guy who had better individual seasons the past two years than anyone we have on our roster (on much better teams than Nebraska has had during that time) could end up being our best player. Analytically, he was Arizona State's second best player the past two seasons, behind Remy Martin, who will probably be the preseason Big 12 POY at Kansas.  

So, what's happening at ASU that they're losing a guy who some think might be the Big 12 POY at Kansas and another guy who some are saying could be an All-American at Nebraska?

That's not the attrition you want to see.

It's one thing when a guy at the bottom end of the rotation sees the writing on the wall and figures there are too many players ahead of him to ever see the floor versus guys who are starters leaving to be just anywhere else but there.

The fact we didn't lose players to the portal this year that we'd have wanted to keep was a bit stunning to me, particularly when you see what's happened at places like ASU.

17 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, what's happening at ASU that they're losing a guy who some think might be the Big 12 POY at Kansas and another guy who some are saying could be an All-American at Nebraska?

That's not the attrition you want to see.

It's one thing when a guy at the bottom end of the rotation sees the writing on the wall and figures there are too many players ahead of him to ever see the floor versus guys who are starters leaving to be just anywhere else but there.

The fact we didn't lose players to the portal this year that we'd have wanted to keep was a bit stunning to me, particularly when you see what's happened at places like ASU.

The reason is that with no more Burno, it threw off everyone's perception of time.  With Burno around 50 days seems like a year, so then without him the space-time continuum is really screwed up down there; so much so that everyone felt the need to leave.

6 hours ago, millerhusker said:

As for Breidenbach, my prediction is Lat will either transfer or turn pro after this year, because he'll see the writing on the wall that Wilhelm will be the man at the 4 spot going forward (at least until Traudt gets here...)

Definitely think he goes pro in Australia after this season. I'd say we're recruiting like it's something he's talked about with the staff.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/already-impressing-new-husker-alonzo-verge-jr-pulls-off-beautiful-move-in-first-day-of-practice/?fbclid=IwAR1W1EDUHp7DXYL_qStnjtW7QvxbO_CLwJDvho1Cymcqu0y2YPMr-byVf_o

Already impressing: New Husker Alonzo Verge Jr. pulls off beautiful move in first day of practice

Alonzo Verge Jr.  He will have one season of eligibility at Nebraska, and his first day with the Huskers came on Monday.

Verge went right to work, turning in a highlight-reel play at one point during practice. He split two defenders while driving to the basket, drew another defender into the air, and dished a beautiful no-look dime for an easy layup.....

If he can consistently get to the rim like he did Monday, he will provide a nice scoring and distributing presence this season for the Huskers.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Nice crossover, but it's always going to his right.

Alonzo Verge Crossover in Ball Screen Situations - YouTube

The hardest thing to stomach about that video was listening to Bill Walton spew about nothing while it sounds like he has a mouth full of cottage cheese, he makes watching games unbearable.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:57 AM, millerhusker said:

Alonzo was offered a 2-way contract to play for the Hornets meaning we have a legit NBA point guard. We haven’t been able to say that since Ty Lue?  I agree that he could easily be our best player.  Trey would be a close second with how much he adds on the defensive end.

Edited by JBARGIE

On 7/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, Keenan9595 said:

The hardest thing to stomach about that video was listening to Bill Walton spew about nothing while it sounds like he has a mouth full of cottage cheese, he makes watching games unbearable.

He is a polarizing figure for sure.  Others love his madness.  I like it in somewhat small doses.  

I have heard it mentioned that he was offered a two way contract by Charlotte.   That is a big deal, if true.  It would certainly trump my concern over his awful shooting efficiency many times over.  

Where did the news come from?  I don't see how that is even possible to do before the draft takes place, so I am of the belief that he simply worked out for them.  Hoping someone can show me otherwise.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

I have heard it mentioned that he was offered a two way contract by Charlotte.   That is a big deal, if true.  It would certainly trump my concern over his awful shooting efficiency many times over.  

Where did the news come from?  I don't see how that is even possible to do before the draft takes place, so I am of the belief that he simply worked out for them.  Hoping someone can show me otherwise.  

Robin Washut said the Hornets told Alonzo they would give him a two-way contract. Players get guarantees all the time after these pre-draft workouts. 

His shooting efficiency has been poor, but he’s still a good scorer and a very good free throw shooter. Guessing he’ll get better looks within our offense than he did at Arizona State, where it was often either Alonzo or Remy Martin in isolation.