Alonzo Verge Jr.

atskooc

I think the NIL rules are already having a positive impact on college basketball. We’re seeing a lot of good players return, now that they can potentially make more in college than they can in the G-League or in most leagues overseas. 

I’ve always thought the competitiveness and quality of play in college basketball took a hit after they stopped letting high schoolers jump to the NBA. It used to be only a few guys in each class, if that, would go from high school to the NBA and the rest would go to college for three years, like in baseball. Now you have dozens of guys leaving college after one year, whether or not they’ll be a first round pick. It’s looking like the NIL stuff could change that. 

50 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I think the NIL rules are already having a positive impact on college basketball. We’re seeing a lot of good players return, now that they can potentially make more in college than they can in the G-League or in most leagues overseas. 

I’ve always thought the competitiveness and quality of play in college basketball took a hit after they stopped letting high schoolers jump to the NBA. It used to be only a few guys in each class, if that, would go from high school to the NBA and the rest would go to college for three years, like in baseball. Now you have dozens of guys leaving college after one year, whether or not they’ll be a first round pick. It’s looking like the NIL stuff could change that. 

I don't think its quite there yet at all actually.  A NBA two way contract is usually 300-500K per year.  You're not getting that kind of money in college right now.  Also with the G-League contracts kids can get out of HS now its more likely they will still make more money there with that and endorsements than they would in college.  I think the NIL will be good for players but don't think the options in basketball will be nearly as good as they are for football players under the plan.  I mean shoot the 2023 class #2 player just signed a $1 Million dollar deal to bypass college and play in the Overtime Elite League.  

I was told this week Banton was expected to come off the bench to run the offense.  When Banton left, Verge was brought in to cover Banton's role.  Kobe will be sliding down the bench.  Expect Trey, Verge, and Kobe to be running the offense this season.  Also, Verge will only stay one year and ensures more scholarships for next year.

1 hour ago, Donkey said:

I was told this week Banton was expected to come off the bench to run the offense.  When Banton left, Verge was brought in to cover Banton's role.  Kobe will be sliding down the bench.  Expect Trey, Verge, and Kobe to be running the offense this season.  Also, Verge will only stay one year and ensures more scholarships for next year.

He only has one year to play thanks to Covid. He would’ve exhausted his eligibility if they didn’t give guys another chance. 

I still think we’re gonna see more of Kobe off the ball at the “two” guard spot. He shot 38% from three last year and over 40% after our Covid break last year when we saw a better representation of what this offense can be. And that better representation had him catching and shooting more than creating for himself or others.

10 hours ago, Vinny said:

I still think we’re gonna see more of Kobe off the ball at the “two” guard spot. He shot 38% from three last year and over 40% after our Covid break last year when we saw a better representation of what this offense can be. And that better representation had him catching and shooting more than creating for himself or others.

Good shooter, good scorer but it was pretty disappointing how little he seemed to create offense for others.

42 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Washut's Tunnel Talk today is very high on Alonzo Verge . . . and on Wilhelm Breidenbach.

I think Verge very well might be our best player, but I wonder if his "source" that says he could be an all-american is the same source that said Cam Mack was a one-and-done NBA player, Jervay Green had NBA potential and Dalano was a lottery pick...  

As for Breidenbach, my prediction is Lat will either transfer or turn pro after this year, because he'll see the writing on the wall that Wilhelm will be the man at the 4 spot going forward (at least until Traudt gets here...)

19 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I think Verge very well might be our best player, but I wonder if his "source" that says he could be an all-american is the same source that said Cam Mack was a one-and-done NBA player, Jervay Green had NBA potential and Dalano was a lottery pick...  

As for Breidenbach, my prediction is Lat will either transfer or turn pro after this year, because he'll see the writing on the wall that Wilhelm will be the man at the 4 spot going forward (at least until Traudt gets here...)

Robin is paid to be an optimist. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. Typical Husker media scarlet colored glasses. 

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

Robin is paid to be an optimist. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. Typical Husker media scarlet colored glasses. 

Actually, Robin is paid to be a reporter—not an optimist. And he is good at reporting.  
He is well-informed and is reliable in the information he provides.  His information today, for example, on Breidenbach’s three point shooting is fact-based (i.e., number of misses in a large quantity of shots, based on observations of an eye witness), not opinion-based.  His comments on Verge are about other people’s opinions—not his own opinion (so, we might be skeptical about those opinions—but not about Robin’s reporting).

33 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Actually, Robin is paid to be a reporter—not an optimist. And he is good at reporting.  
He is well-informed and is reliable in the information he provides.  His information today, for example, on Breidenbach’s three point shooting is fact-based (i.e., number of misses in a large quantity of shots, based on observations of an eye witness), not opinion-based.  His comments on Verge are about other people’s opinions—not his own opinion (so, we might be skeptical about those opinions—but not about Robin’s reporting).

Nice burner, Robin lol

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Good shooter, good scorer but it was pretty disappointing how little he seemed to create offense for others.

Which is why I think he’s gonna fill that “off-ball stand on the wing/in the corner and wait for someone to kick it out to you” spot in our offense. 10-15 minutes off the bench to knock down some looks.