What will our rotation look like next year?

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

In addition to a big ego, Heady also has thin skin.

I took a humorous dig at him on Twitter one day and he blocked me.

And, I mean, it was just a harmless little poke. Not bombastic or repeated or anything. Just ... blocked.

Michael Severe blocked me too, so I've got that going for me.

Geez Norm!  I thought you were a pretty likable guy

13 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I think it's a problem that everyone who covers the Huskers locally is an NU grad. Not a lot of objectivity, and they all think they know how to "fix" things. I'd be more interested in a view from someone who wasn't from this area, but it seems like the reporters are supposed to be cheerleaders ... until they're not.

I dont know where Sip went but his recent article was pretty stupid.

12 hours ago, hugh42 said:

To get back to the subject for the title of this thread, I think Mr. Edwards will be firmly in the mix.

1 on 1 with Keon Edwards

Help me out here. Keon looks more explosive and more quick-twitch in his movements than Bryce. He's bigger and stronger (weighs 25 lbs more). Same height. His shot looks really good. When players talk about the best shooters on the team, they mention Keon (along with Keisei, Lat, CJ, Kobe). And this is maybe my favorite excerpt from any article all offseason: As far as perimeter defense, Hoiberg said Trey McGowens and Keon Edwards would be their two best guys.  Wow. Hoiberg has been making it a point to remind the media and fans all summer/fall that Bryce is just a true freshman. But he's mentioning Keon's defense in the same breath as one of the best perimeter defenders in the conference. If his defense is that good already, he's going to be hard to keep off the floor (same thing has been said about Wilhelm). Are the media/fans placing too high of expectations on Bryce, and not giving enough hype to Keon? It's probably not fair to compare the two as players. Maybe Keon will be a three and D and dunks in transition type player, and Bryce will be the smooth scorer and secondary ball handler. We'll see. I'm guessing/hoping we'll see them on the floor together a lot. Those two along with another shooter and a creator - maybe CJ and Verge - could be dangerous. 

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Dimes agrees

It seemed like the columnist version of putting Wichita St on NCAA probation to show Kansas they're not messing around. Hey, be hard on basketball I guess though it's hard to reconcile that vs the relative kid gloves being used on a football program that is doing less with more.

36 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Help me out here. Keon looks more explosive and more quick-twitch in his movements than Bryce. He's bigger and stronger (weighs 25 lbs more). Same height. His shot looks really good. When players talk about the best shooters on the team, they mention Keon (along with Keisei, Lat, CJ, Kobe). And this is maybe my favorite excerpt from any article all offseason: As far as perimeter defense, Hoiberg said Trey McGowens and Keon Edwards would be their two best guys.  Wow. Hoiberg has been making it a point to remind the media and fans all summer/fall that Bryce is just a true freshman. But he's mentioning Keon's defense in the same breath as one of the best perimeter defenders in the conference. If his defense is that good already, he's going to be hard to keep off the floor (same thing has been said about Wilhelm). Are the media/fans placing too high of expectations on Bryce, and not giving enough hype to Keon? It's probably not fair to compare the two as players. Maybe Keon will be a three and D and dunks in transition type player, and Bryce will be the smooth scorer and secondary ball handler. We'll see. I'm guessing/hoping we'll see them on the floor together a lot. Those two along with another shooter and a creator - maybe CJ and Verge - could be dangerous. 

Edwards get downplayed because of what happened at DePaul. Possible he would have been as highly regarded as Bryce had he stayed in high school another year.  Really doubt we get him in that scenario.  People sleeping on Edwards have been working for us so far. 😎

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

One of the best defenders. One of the best shooters. Also an explosive dunker.

Who was calling for him to start earlier this fall?

13 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Bryce has handles over Keon, but that's about it from what I saw.  Keon's upside looks crazy.  

18 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

One of the best defenders. One of the best shooters. Also an explosive dunker.

Who was calling for him to start earlier this fall?

No, seriously. Who was it? It wasn’t me. I like the kid and I thought he would play. But I think it was @Nebrasketballer who called for him to start. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

No, seriously. Who was it? It wasn’t me. I like the kid and I thought he would play. But I think it was @Nebrasketballer who called for him to start. I could be wrong.

It was me I think it was my first post I made a few months ago. EDIT: Nebrasketballer also did too.

Edited by CamHuskerbballfan

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

He was very good in last Friday's scrimmage. He was second leading scorer behind Quaran. White just  barely beat the Red. The teams weren't evenly split either. Red had most people's projected top 8. This is a very deep team. Can't wait for tomorrow night.

To the point about how deep this team is, I'm wondering what that does to the guys used to playing a ton of minutes.  Are you always going 100% if you(and the coach) know your 80% is still better than whatever the backups bring?  Are there talented guys coming off the bench/starting who are more willing to make the hustle plays because they don't need to save energy and/or it's a much tighter competition for minutes?  Assuming Fred can manage the egos, I'm interested to see what we do with the extra effort guys should be willing to put forth.

In addition to a big ego, Heady also has thin skin.

I took a humorous dig at him on Twitter one day and he blocked me.

And, I mean, it was just a harmless little poke. Not bombastic or repeated or anything. Just ... blocked.

Michael Severe blocked me too, so I've got that going for me.

I worked at 1620 for a short period of time and Severe was one of the few guys who basically ignored me. He wasn’t a “diva” but he wasn’t really friendly. Never been a huge fan.

John bishop(even though he is a blue Jay) is a great dude. Damon Benning is also a great guy.

I would say most Nebraska media is somewhat thin skinned but so is the fan base. They hate Dirk but he is one of the more real journalists who is willing to piss people off to share a different opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, RedEyedFanatic said:

To the point about how deep this team is, I'm wondering what that does to the guys used to playing a ton of minutes.  Are you always going 100% if you(and the coach) know your 80% is still better than whatever the backups bring?  Are there talented guys coming off the bench/starting who are more willing to make the hustle plays because they don't need to save energy and/or it's a much tighter competition for minutes?  Assuming Fred can manage the egos, I'm interested to see what we do with the extra effort guys should be willing to put forth.

This seems to be the big question this year which I guess is a problem you want as most good teams have to deal with keeping good players happy with playing time.  Hopefully Coach will not have to deal with a major attitude/team cancer situation like the last couple of years.

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yeah, I've pretty much hoped to see him starting since the day he committed to Nebraska. He was basically a 5 star before he reclassified to enter college early. He did that because of what his high school was doing in response to COVID. Then, he joined his college team at semester, which would always be hard to crack the lineup in any meaningful way under normal circumstances, but then his team and himself personally had COVID issues on top of that. I really like him. His film is super impressive. I'm honestly probably as excited to see him play as I am to see Bryce play. And seeing them both in the starting lineup together would be crazy.

My ideal starting lineup would be:

PG- Trey McGowens (6'4")

Wing- Bryce McGowens (6'6")

Wing- Keon Edwards (6'7")

Wing- Lat Mayen (6'9")

C- Derrick Walker (6'8")

I like the athleticism of this lineup, especially on defense and it would allow them to switch virtually all screens. I also think the length would be tough for opposing teams to handle and I think this would be a good rebounding lineup. Then on offense, there are multiple players that can shoot from outside and multiple players that can get to the basket and finish dynamically above the rim. I like the idea of Verge coming off of the bench to take the place of McGowens, rather than playing next to him. And I think having a bench rotation that comes in that is some combination of Verge, Wilcher, Breidenbach, and Tominaga would also be a great lineup to give the starters a breather.

But that's just what I prefer to see in a starting lineup. I prefer long and athletic lineups. From what it sounds like though, most people think the starting rotation will be Verge, McGowens, McGowens, Mayen, and Walker, so it doesn't look like my preferred lineup will happen.

Edited by Nebrasketballer

From a small sample size:

Verge is our best ball handler. Creates well with the ball and can get a reasonable shot off any time. Very quick. Out of control occasionally but not often. Hit some nice 3s. To me, big upgrade over Delano.

Keon is Uber athletic. But needs some time to build his basketball IQ. He’ll get there but it may take a good part of the season.

Trey, Lat, Eduardo and Derrick all have stepped up their games.

Bryce is smooth for a freshman. Athletic and makes it look effortless. In a small sample size looks like everything we hoped for. Not sure what else to say.

Wilhelm was a surprise. One would never know he was a freshman. Hustles, right place at the right time, good defender/rebounder and smooth 3 point shot. He may not start early in the season but I wouldn’t be surprised if he played starting minutes as the season wears on. His free throw shooting should ensure he plays the 5 late in close games.

Keisie was a surprise. He will be a fan favorite. Plays hard every second on the floor. Good defender with quick hands. More athletic than expected but not elite athleticism. Very crafty player. Fun to watch. Smile on his face the entire time. Will hit a shot when open but still finding his shot against long athletic players like we have now. He’ll get there.