What will our rotation look like next year?

18 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Based on listening to the McGowins' podcast, this picture looks like the most likely to be the first five we roll out. At least at the beginning of the season.

squad.png

If so, then this is basically Hoiberg saying we're going to try to win games in shootouts.  My concern is how we plan to defend with a lineup of:

-An undersized center. 

-An elite, lanky freshman. 

-A laterally quickness challenged guard. 

-An undersized transfer guard whose defense is one of the main reasons he's not in the NBA this year. 

-And one lockdown defender.  

Obviously the flip side of that is that each of those players is a net positive on offense.  Will we be able to get enough stops?  I don't know, but I know that looks like a lineup that will play with tempo, shoot lights out, and be fun to watch.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

If so, then this is basically Hoiberg saying we're going to try to win games in shootouts.  My concern is how we plan to defend with a lineup of:

-An undersized center. 

-An undersized transfer guard whose defense is one of the main reasons he's not in the NBA this year. 

Obviously the flip side of that is that each of those players is a net positive on offense.  Will we be able to get enough stops?  I don't know, but I know that looks like a lineup that will play with tempo, shoot lights out, and be fun to watch.

Lat not starting would be a surprise but not a huge one. Xavier fans wanted CJ to play the 4 for them as they thought he was strong enough and smart enough to defend there. I have also heard they really like Zo’s defense so far since he’s been here. So it would not be our strongest def lineup, I think it would be ok and as you pointed out, that is some firepower on offense.

6 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Based on listening to the McGowins' podcast, this picture looks like the most likely to be the first five we roll out. At least at the beginning of the season.

squad.png

I love it. Reminds me of Hoiberg's Iowa State teams. A lot of times they would go even smaller with Niang or Ejim at the "5". 

Edited by millerhusker

I still think Nebraska's best starting lineup would be:

1- Trey McGowens

2- Bryce McGowens

3- Keon Edwards

4- Lat Mayen

5- Derrick Walker

In terms of length, shooting, getting to the rim, ball handling, overall defense, and ability to switch screens on defense. Trey and Derrick will also be very valuable in setting the tone for this team while the younger players develop.

19 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

-An undersized center. 

Look at who would be coming in off the bench, tho. You talk about trying to win in a shootout.

-A lanky 6'10 freshman with 3-point range.

-A lanky 6'9 guy who once hit 86 out of 100 treys in practice and should probably be about 40% from 3.

-An elite, 6'7 freshman with handles and 3-point range.

-The Japanese Steph Curry.

-An undersized, super-senior guard who can get hot from deep in stretches.

-And a 6'11 rim protector who put on good weight in the off-season.

I mean, that seems like "win in a shootout" no matter how you slice it.

46 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Look at who would be coming in off the bench, tho. You talk about trying to win in a shootout.

-A lanky 6'10 freshman with 3-point range.

-A lanky 6'9 guy who once hit 86 out of 100 treys in practice and should probably be about 40% from 3.

-An elite, 6'7 freshman with handles and 3-point range.

-The Japanese Steph Curry.

-An undersized, super-senior guard who can get hot from deep in stretches.

-And a 6'11 rim protector who put on good weight in the off-season.

I mean, that seems like "win in a shootout" no matter how you slice it.

That's a fair point.  I guess I just see the swap of CJ for Lat as an exchange of offense in lieu of defense and rebounding.  That then made me look at the newly projected starting 5 as a whole and wonder how we're going to get stops and defensive boards.

That being said, Lat wasn't exactly an elite rebounder and defender.  Perhaps a CJ-for-Lat swap isn't as punitive on D as I initially thought.  And as I've said before, I think Trey is set for a big boost in rebounding numbers as he will likely now be the extra guard tasked with rebounding rather than getting back in transition (a la Teddy/Banton last year).  And while I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, perhaps Verge will take his NBA scouting report to heart and commit himself to being an improved defender.

OK, I can get behind this lineup.

12 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

1- Trey McGowens

2- Bryce McGowens

3- Keon Edwards

4- Lat Mayen

5- Derrick Walker

In terms of length, shooting, getting to the rim, ball handling, overall defense, and ability to switch screens on defense. Trey and Derrick will also be very valuable in setting the tone for this team while the younger players develop.

I would be shocked if Verge isn't starting but we have so many options that anything is possible

40 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I would be shocked if Verge isn't starting but we have so many options that anything is possible

Yeah, I guess I just see Verge as being more valuable coming in for Trey, than starting next to him. Especially on the defensive end, I think it would be advantageous for Nebraska to have the length of 6’7” Keon Edwards in the starting lineup, rather than 6’2” Verge on the floor next to 6’4” Trey. To me you would have a pretty balanced 2-deep with this and this starting lineup would allow Nebraska to switch almost everything on the defensive end.

Starting:

Point Guard - Trey McGowens (6’4”)

Wing - Bryce McGowens (6’6”)

Wing - Keon Edwards (6’7”)

Wing - Lat Mayen (6’9”)

Center - Derrick Walker (6’8”)

Off the Bench:

Point Guard - Alonzo Verge Jr (6’2”)

Wing - Kobe Webster (6’0”) / Keisei Tominaga (6’1”)

Wing - CJ Wilcher (6’5”)

Wing - Wilhelm Breidenbach (6’9”)

Center - Eduardo Andre (6’10”)

12 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

1- Trey McGowens

2- Bryce McGowens

3- Keon Edwards

4- Lat Mayen

5- Derrick Walker

Keon was singled out by HCFH twice yesterday: Once for his defense (moves his feet quickly and he's long); and once for his offense (shooter with handles, don't recall the exact verbiage.)

He was an ESPN top 50 player for this year's freshman class.

It's entirely possible he's that good.

And, if he is, think about what that lineup would represent. You'd have two guys with handles and 3-level scoring ability who are both about 6'7. You'd have two guys both about 6'9, one of whom is a deep threat and the other with the upper body strength to secure the paint. And a 6'4 defensive stopper and low-volume shooter who can hit from deep when he's left open and strong and quick enough to get to the rim on the regular.

4 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Yeah, I guess I just see Verge as being more valuable coming in for Trey, than starting next to him. Especially on the defensive end, I think it would be advantageous for Nebraska to have the length of 6’7” Keon Edwards in the starting lineup, rather than 6’2” Verge on the floor next to 6’4” Trey. To me you would have a pretty balanced 2-deep with this and this starting lineup would allow Nebraska to switch almost everything on the defensive end.

Starting:

Point Guard - Trey McGowens (6’4”)

Wing - Bryce McGowens (6’6”)

Wing - Keon Edwards (6’7”)

Wing - Lat Mayen (6’9”)

Center - Derrick Walker (6’8”)

Off the Bench:

Point Guard - Alonzo Verge Jr (6’2”)

Wing - Kobe Webster (6’0”) / Keisei Tominaga (6’1”)

Wing - CJ Wilcher (6’5”)

Wing - Wilhelm Breidenbach (6’9”)

Center - Eduardo Andre (6’10”)

YOU need to re-check the current roster because you're selling some of our players short with your height data.

Wilhelm Breidenbach, I will have you know, is NOT merely six feet nine inches tall. He -- thanks to getting his height back with chiropractic -- is every bit of six feet TEN inches tall.

Also, Bryce is 6'7, Derrick is 6'9, Verge is 6'3 (not really, but that's what they claim), Keisei is 6'2, and Eduardo is 6'11.

Don't shoot the messenger.

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Keon was singled out by HCFH twice yesterday: Once for his defense (moves his feet quickly and he's long); and once for his offense (shooter with handles, don't recall the exact verbiage.)

He was an ESPN top 50 player for this year's freshman class.

It's entirely possible he's that good.

And, if he is, think about what that lineup would represent. You'd have two guys with handles and 3-level scoring ability who are both about 6'7. You'd have two guys both about 6'9, one of whom is a deep threat and the other with the upper body strength to secure the paint. And a 6'4 defensive stopper and low-volume shooter who can hit from deep when he's left open and strong and quick enough to get to the rim on the regular.

It would be pretty exciting to see these two in the starting lineup together:

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I can't quite tell what the score is here, but it looks like the white team is at the very least keeping it close and making a game of it.

MBB Scrimmage-September 24 - Image 15: Nebraska Cornhuskers guard Keisei Tominaga #30 MBB Scrimmage Nebraska Men's Basketball - University of Nebraska

Well, whatever the Red team score is, White is about to have 27. 🔒

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

That's a fair point.  I guess I just see the swap of CJ for Lat as an exchange of offense in lieu of defense and rebounding.  That then made me look at the newly projected starting 5 as a whole and wonder how we're going to get stops and defensive boards.

That being said, Lat wasn't exactly an elite rebounder and defender.  Perhaps a CJ-for-Lat swap isn't as punitive on D as I initially thought.  And as I've said before, I think Trey is set for a big boost in rebounding numbers as he will likely now be the extra guard tasked with rebounding rather than getting back in transition (a la Teddy/Banton last year).  And while I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, perhaps Verge will take his NBA scouting report to heart and commit himself to being an improved defender.

OK, I can get behind this lineup.

Lat didn’t show us anything defensively in the post last year that a 6’5” smart defender couldn’t also do. 

6 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Lat didn’t show us anything defensively in the post last year that a 6’5” smart defender couldn’t also do. 

Well... one of the following stat lines is Ryan Anderson's career average, and the other is Lat's from last year.

pts reb ast stl blk fg% 3p% ft%
8.6 4.5 0.6 0.5 0.5 39.6 34.8 77.8
9.2 4.8 1.9 1.4 0.1 43.9 39.4 75.1

9 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Well... one of the following stat lines is Ryan Anderson's career average, and the other is Lat's from last year.

pts reb ast stl blk fg% 3p% ft%
8.6 4.5 0.6 0.5 0.5 39.6 34.8 77.8
9.2 4.8 1.9 1.4 0.1 43.9 39.4 75.1

I was thinking CJ could be a Ryan Anderson for us as well.  Kid is strong too so he probably wouldn't give up much weight/strength to anyone.  

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'll be honest. I have absolutely no idea what our starting lineup will look like this year.

But, I do know this: You could practically draw five names at random to start, and the NEXT five guys in off the bench will still be killa.

I'll demonstrate.

Roll dice:

2 = Eduardo Andre

3 = Wilhelm Breidenbach

4 = Keon Edwards

5 = Lat Mayen

6 = Bryce McGowens

7 = Trey McGowens

8 = Keisei Tominaga

9 = Alonzo Verge

10 = Derrick Walker

11 = Kobe Webster

12 = CJ Wilcher

Once a number is rolled, you can't roll it again. Roll five times at random, re-rolling if you roll a number twice.

Then roll until you get five new numbers.

Who are your starters? Who are your reserves?

Mine?

Starters:

Bryce McGowens

Keon Edwards

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Lat Mayen

Kobe Webster

Reserves:

Alonzo Verge

CJ Wilcher

Trey McGowens

Keisei Tominaga

Derrick Walker

This was the exact order of my "picks." I didn't have to re-roll to get a non-repeat until after CJ Wilcher was "chosen" with the 7th roll of the dice.