What will our rotation look like next year?

My dark horse is still Tominaga.  I think he's going to have heat checks given to him every night, and I would be shocked if there aren't a couple of games he takes over on the offensive end.  With Bryce, Trey, and Zo being able to get to the paint on just about anyone, I think Keisei and Lat are going to be deadly, especially if they're on the court at the same time.  

Trey, Bryce, Keisei, Lat, and Walker in a 4 out is pretty formidable offensively.  

I could see CJ filling that Keisei role as well, but if Keisei is at all open... that sucker is probably going in.  

8 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I'd just like to say I love reading everyones arguments for which players will start, contribute, or need to developed. Because I basically take the good from ALL the arguments and create a super team. Yup. Sweet 16. You guys are great!

Well I would say its definitely a good thing when were arguing about guys who could start at alot of places being at the end of our rotation. 

Keon was a higher rated prospect than Ed Morrow or Glen Watson; there is a pretty good chance when it's all said and done he'll have a fairly successful college career. Really he has the sort of package that likely makes him a NBA prospect in the future. The thing about Ed Morrow and Glen Watson though was that we had a need for their skillsets the day they walked on campus. What makes me wonder about Edwards playing time is whether his scoring ability is high level enough along with his other skills to pry away many minutes from some of the other guys on the roster.

Take a look at what is a pretty good breakdown of the roster

On 7/17/2021 at 4:50 PM, millerhusker said:

G – Alonzo Verge 6-3 Sr. 14.0 3.9 3.8 (Arizona St)

G – Trey McGowens 6-4 Jr. 10.7 3.9 2.3

G – Bryce McGowens  6-6    Fr.              Five star freshman

F – Lat Mayen  6-9    Jr.                           8.6         4.5       0.6

F – Derrick Walker  6-8    Jr.                    5.9          4.8       1.6

G – Kobe Webster  6-0    Sr.                     8.1        1.7      1.3

G – CJ Wilcher  6-5    Fr.                           3.3       1.1       0.3  (Xavier)   Four star in 2020 class

G/F – Keon Edwards  6-7    Fr.                 Four star in 2020 class

F – Wilhelm Breidenbach  6-10    Fr.        Four star freshman

C – Eduardo Andre  6-10    Fr.                  2.7        2.2      0.5

G – Keisei Tominaga  6-2    Soph.           JUCO All-American

G – Quaran McPherson  6-4    Fr.           Three star freshman

F – Trevor Lakes  6-7    Sr.                         3.2         1.1     0.4

C – Oleg Kojenets  7-0    Fr.                     Three star freshman

I think it's safe to say that Edwards isn't a center and he isn't a distributor. He's what we'd consider a wing; a guy who probably plays the 2/3 and maybe the 4 if we're playing small. Just to make this simple, let's say that Verge and Trey will cover the 40 minutes at PG and also cover the minutes per game where we play a guard at the 4.  At that point we're talking about 80 minutes a game between Bryce, Kobe, Wilcher, Tominaga, McPherson, and Edwards. Assuming he can match or exceed the sort of effort that Wilcher put up last year, it's possible to see him at 20 minutes a game.  Given our depth it's possible he's averaging 5 minutes a game playing mop up.   Before then, has anyone seen or heard one the coaches mentioning him?  I've seen that for Wilcher and McGowens and Breidenbach.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Keon was a higher rated prospect than Ed Morrow or Glen Watson; there is a pretty good chance when it's all said and done he'll have a fairly successful college career. Really he has the sort of package that likely makes him a NBA prospect in the future. The thing about Ed Morrow and Glen Watson though was that we had a need for their skillsets the day they walked on campus. What makes me wonder about Edwards playing time is whether his scoring ability is high level enough along with his other skills to pry away many minutes from some of the other guys on the roster.

Take a look at what is a pretty good breakdown of the roster

I think it's safe to say that Edwards isn't a center and he isn't a distributor. He's what we'd consider a wing; a guy who probably plays the 2/3 and maybe the 4 if we're playing small. Just to make this simple, let's say that Verge and Trey will cover the 40 minutes at PG and also cover the minutes per game where we play a guard at the 4.  At that point we're talking about 80 minutes a game between Bryce, Kobe, Wilcher, Tominaga, McPherson, and Edwards. Assuming he can match or exceed the sort of effort that Wilcher put up last year, it's possible to see him at 20 minutes a game.  Given our depth it's possible he's averaging 5 minutes a game playing mop up.   Before then, has anyone seen or heard one the coaches mentioning him?  I've seen that for Wilcher and McGowens and Breidenbach.

I think Wilcher is going to have guaranteed minutes for three reasons:  1. He has legit experience, can shoot it, and is said to be a good defender.  2. He has good weight/strength for the B1G.  3. Little bro is going to be watching how we use him closely, and that dude may be our most important recruit ever.

I love Keon's upside and I think he'll show flashes this year, but I agree that squeezing him in there might be difficult for extended minutes.  He's listed at 170lbs, but he looks like he has Petteway/Palmer upside.  Main difference is those two dudes got their weight up over 200lbs in college.  Very excited about Keon's future.  I think he'll show flashes this season.  

Here is my preseason rotation guess.  I like Walker, Kobe and Lat coming off the bench.  It will push the initial five and put pressure on the depth of the opposition.   Those three are also most likely to be part of the "closing" rotation in close games.  Keisei will be a wild card.  He will be instant offense; but the number of minutes may be predicated on how he defends. 

Alonzo Verge

Trey McGowens

Bryce McGowens

Wilcher or Breidenbach

Andre

If we have 10 rotating 

Lat

Kobe Webster

Walker

Wilhelm Breidenbach or Wilcher

Keisei Tominaga

45 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Here is my preseason rotation guess.  I like Walker, Kobe and Lat coming off the bench.  It will push the initial five and put pressure on the depth of the opposition.   Those three are also most likely to be part of the "closing" rotation in close games.  Keisei will be a wild card.  He will be instant offense; but the number of minutes may be predicated on how he defends. 

Alonzo Verge

Trey McGowens

Bryce McGowens

Wilcher or Breidenbach

Andre

If we have 10 rotating 

Lat

Kobe Webster

Walker

Wilhelm Breidenbach or Wilcher

Keisei Tominaga

I like it, but there’s no chance Walker isn’t starting game 1. 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:28 AM, 49r said:

Briedenbach?  Kojenets?

I'm think the 3rd option at the 5 would be Lat.  They would then run a 5 out offense.   I am guessing the freshmen named above need to get stronger before playing the 5?   I want to see how Wil does as a stretch 4 to start.  I think Kojenets will redshirt?   

1 minute ago, REDitus said:

I'm think the 3rd option at the 5 would be Lat.  They would then run a 5 out offense.   I am guessing the freshmen named above need to get stronger before playing the 5?   I want to see how Wil does as a stretch 4 to start.  I think Kojenets will redshirt?   

I think we'll see Lat and Wilhelm on the court together quite a bit this year, and in that lineup Wilhelm would be guarding the other team's 5. He's bigger and stronger than Lat right now. 

Just now, millerhusker said:

I think we'll see Lat and Wilhelm on the court together quite a bit this year, and in that lineup Wilhelm would be guarding the other team's 5. He's bigger and stronger than Lat right now. 

Didn't know that but I shouldn't be surprised as Wilhelm strikes me as a hard worker.   With Wil and Lat in that 5 out should work well. 

I am in the camp that believes Breindenbach is being vastly underrated, underapprecated and undervalued by our fan base.  This dude was highly rated for a reason. He is going to earn substantial playing time this year.  The kid knows how to play team ball and knows how to play his role.  Just my very humble opinion.

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am in the camp that believes Breindenbach is being vastly underrated, underapprecated and undervalued by our fan base.  This dude was highly rated for a reason. He is going to earn substantial playing time this year.  The kid knows how to play team ball and knows how to play his role.  Just my very humble opinion.

He’ll be All-B1G by the time he’s out of here...

I think it’s likely that these five start:

McGowens
McGowens

Wilcher

Walker

Lat

Does Bryce come off the bench so Zo can start? One guard is going to have to come off the bench. It’ll be hard to tell Trey, Wilcher, Zo or Bryce to do it. 

That leaves Zo, Wil, Andre, Kobe as my first four off the bench, and Tominaga when we need a shooter. I think this roster is good enough to be strong NIT. If both Wilchers are here in a couple years, it’s pretty hard to not like the chances of heightened success these next few years. 

9 minutes ago, unl said:

I think it’s likely that these five start:

McGowens
McGowens

Wilcher

Walker

Lat

Does Bryce come off the bench so Zo can start? One guard is going to have to come off the bench. It’ll be hard to tell Trey, Wilcher, Zo or Bryce to do it. 

That leaves Zo, Wil, Andre, Kobe as my first four off the bench, and Tominaga when we need a shooter. I think this roster is good enough to be strong NIT. If both Wilchers are here in a couple years, it’s pretty hard to not like the chances of heightened success these next few years. 

McGowens
McGowens

Wilcher/ZO

Walker

Lat

Id lean ZO over wilcher but could see this also..

No inside info here, but from everything I've read and heard Verge will be the primary ball handler, so I can't see him not being in the starting line up. I agree with others that the starters will more than likely be:

Verge

McGowens

McGowens

Mayen

Walker

Others that I see getting significant playing time are:

Webster

Wilcher

Edwards

Breidenbach

Andre

I think Tominaga will have a role this season, but not sure how many minutes he will get. I know that most think Fred will whittle down the rotation as the season goes along and that may be the case, but it's hard for me to see who doesn't see the floor if the newcomers mentioned above live up to the hype.

Come on...many of you are looking at this bass-ackwarwards.  Sort of how Husker basketball fans have looked at schedules in the past.  It is the other teams looking at their schedules concerned about seeing US on THEIR schedules.  That is the new normal.  We should be just fine.

36 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Come on...many of you are looking at this bass-ackwarwards.  Sort of how Husker basketball fans have looked at schedules in the past.  It is the other teams looking at their schedules concerned about seeing US on THEIR schedules.  That is the new normal.  We should be just fine.

This isn’t a bad thing, but I don’t think there’s a single team in the Big Ten that’s worried about playing us. Yet. 

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

1 year too early.  You have to earn that.  20 wins and most everyone back and we will be there.

It's doable.