What will our rotation look like next year?

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

The biggest surprise for me has been how inefficient (and flat out bad) the offense has been for most of the last two years, considering we have one of the brightest offensive minds in the basketball world as our head coach (I still believe this to be true). 

We had a top 40 defense in the country last year. 

Source? This has us at 268 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/146/p6

39 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

Kenpom has us 40th. Bart Torvik has us 31st.  According to Kenpom, our opponents offense strength of schedule was 4th in the country. That is, only three teams in the country played against better offenses throughout the year than Nebraska did.  For tempo, we were 35th and 31st respectively, so more points per game given up will naturally occur. Points per game isn’t necessarily a metric useful for determining how efficient, or how good, a defense is. 

2 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

There were 207 teams that gave up less points a game and 104 teams that had a better defensive field goal %

105th in field goal percentage defense, while not great, would still qualify as decent. Any team that plays a slower pace would most likely give up fewer points even if their field goal % defense is worse. The stat to use would be opponent points per possession but thats not an easy stat to find for free

7 hours ago, millerhusker said:

The biggest surprise for me has been how inefficient (and flat out bad) the offense has been for most of the last two years, considering we have one of the brightest offensive minds in the basketball world as our head coach (I still believe this to be true). 

We had a top 40 defense in the country last year. 

The offense worked well in creating the shots we wanted. The players were very inefficient in making those good shots. 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but Washut expects us to fill the last available scholarship soon. He hinted that the player might be starter quality. No idea who it would be. 

That would be quite a find this late in the game.  An Andrew White type situation or perhaps a player from overseas? (sorry for the AW reference)

I wonder if we are talking to the kid from Marquette?  

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2021/07/02/unc-basketball-hubert-davis-dawson-garcia-marquette-transfer-portal/7812369002/

He’s from Minnesota and a late addition to the portal.  He has some big time suitors though.

Edited by busticket

39 minutes ago, busticket said:

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2021/07/02/unc-basketball-hubert-davis-dawson-garcia-marquette-transfer-portal/7812369002/

He’s from Minnesota and a late addition to the portal.  He has some big time suitors though.

That would be a huge addition

42 minutes ago, busticket said:

That would be huge, but after looking at the roster, I think they'll be pursuing a wing. Jordan Hall would've been target #1, but he went back to St Joe's.

Right now there's about 5 "bigs" on the roster (including Lat/Wilhelm). In contrast, there's about 4 wings right now (Bryce, Lakes, CJ, and keon). Dawson would easily be the most talented big on the roster from day 1, and the relationship is already established from HS (Fred offered him).

I just personally think they look on the wing direction 

As of now, this is my rough guess. 

G: Trey

G: Bryce

G: CJ

F: lat

Big: Walker

Off the bench (in order)

Kobe

Andre

Keon

Wilhelm

Wildcard here is Tominga. He has a quick release and fits into what the offense wants. Him not getting here until after the Olympics may hurt him initially, but I can see a way where he works his way into the rotation. Lakes and McPherson are both interesting guys, but I think they'll be further down in the rotation. Lakes may start off higher backing up lat, but that'll eventually be Wilhelms spot imo

Obviously, this can all change based on who they bring in with Bantons scholarship.

Edited by thrasher31

On 7/3/2021 at 3:13 PM, millerhusker said:

My picks would be similar, which makes it seem like we could still be a ways away from where we want to be. I wouldn’t say Eduardo >> Jordy. I wasn’t a fan of Jordy’s game at all, but he did have better production (on a much better team) than Eduardo did. Eduardo has a much higher ceiling than Jordy, but I’m gonna have to see it come to fruition first. I remember his head scratching plays just as much as his few highlight plays on the year. 

I remember Jordy having some head scratching plays. I don't really remember a lot of head scratchers from Eduardo. That could be his lack of minutes. At the beginning of the season, Eduardo was behind Yvan, who was the returning starter. And then Eduardo caught the 'rona and was out for a month. Then the team caught the 'rona and couldn't practice for a couple of weeks or so. About that time, Derrick Walker became eligible and Eduardo was playing behind him. And so I think Eduardo caught kind of a bad break to begin his college career.

Jordy was playing behind ...

Well, we didn't really have anyone at Jordy's position. Ed Morrow? Michael Jacobson?

Let's see how Eduardo compares to Jordy sophomore to sophomore.

I think that will be more telling.

Eduardo does indeed pass the eye test. The type of big I like as for as those go that aren't stretch 5's.  He can finish on a pick and roll and expect this will improve greatly year over year.  Quick leaper that can protect the rim.  Can rim run and beat other big down the court.  A lot of the traits that the effective centers in the NBA have these days.  A poor mans Clint Capella type player.  

Edited by royalfan

On 7/3/2021 at 12:34 AM, Dead Dog Alley said:

Well, go ahead and play fill in the blank game with either >>, >, =, <, << compared to the roster from 4 years ago.

Trey McGowens

Anton Gill

Bryce McGowens

James Palmer

Lat Mayen

Isaac Copeland

Derrick Walker

Isiah Roby

Kobe Webster

Glynn Watson

CJ Wilcher

Evan Taylor

Eduardo Andre

Jordy Tshimanga

Keon Edwards

Thomas Allen

Keisei Tominaga

Jack McVeigh

W.  Breidenbach

Duby Okeke

Q.  McPherson

Nana Akenten

Trevor Lakes

T. Thorbjarnarson

Oleg Kojenets

Tanner Borchardt

Trey > Anton

Bryce < Palmer

Lat < Copeland

Walker < Roby

Webster < Watson

Wilcher < Taylor

Andre > Tshimanga

Edwards < Allen

Tominaga > Mcveigh

Breidenbach > Okeke

McPherson > Akenten

Lakes < Thor

Kojenets < Tanner

Edited by BjoeHusker

I look for the line-up to change as the season develops.  I think Fred will give the older players more minutes in the early part of the season but I look for the younger players to get more and more minutes as the season goes on.  Fred didn't recruit this young talent to sit on the bench.  The older players will get their chance but if they don't deliver then the younger guys (our future) should play.  (The younger players that I am referring to are Eduardo Andre, C.J. Wilcher, Keon Edwards, and Wilhelm Breidenbach.  I don't expect Bryce to be with us for more than one or two years.)