2021 Husker Football Outlook

I can't explain this anymore.

1st half rushing + 1st rush of the 2nd half 20 carries for 124 yards and a touchdown

2nd half rushing - 1st rush of 2nd half 9 carries for 6 yards

Johnson and Yant 1st half + 1st rush of 2nd half  14 carries for 114 yards

Johnson and Yant 2nd half - 1st rush of 2nd half 5 carries for -2 yards

Frost in the offseason "We want to be the most physical team in the Big 10"

Purdue (Mind you the worst rushing team in the Big 10)

1st half rushing 20 carries for 70 yards

2nd half rushing 18 carries for 50 yards before 3 kneel downs

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

I can't explain this anymore.

1st half rushing + 1st rush of the 2nd half 20 carries for 124 yards and a touchdown

2nd half rushing - 1st rush of 2nd half 9 carries for 6 yards

Johnson and Yant 1st half + 1st rush of 2nd half  14 carries for 114 yards

Johnson and Yant 2nd half - 1st rush of 2nd half 5 carries for -2 yards

Frost in the offseason "We want to be the most physical team in the Big 10"

Purdue (Mind you the worst rushing team in the Big 10)

1st half rushing 20 carries for 70 yards

2nd half rushing 18 carries for 50 yards before 3 kneel downs

This all while your QB throws 1 interception in 1st half and 3 in 2nd half.

4 hours ago, brfrad said:

Frost cannot be back next year!!!

I can’t see any argument for Trev to retain him. Outside of boosters not ponying up for the buyout.  Lucky for Trev, as every Saturday goes by this is becoming a very easy decision. 

At this point Frost is just shoveling dirt on the grave of the football program. Allow him to lead the program any longer and he may complete the process of turning Nebraska into Kansas football. 

right now the phones will be burning up the hotlines to the richie riches as to what they want to kick in to the buyout 

i just hear don meredith singing "the party's over" after him downing a six of natty 

it's a shame the prodigal son story didn't work out those are usually such fun. 

This is so hard because I really wanted to see Frost succeed here. It'd be a great story: former star QB comes back to his alma mater and returns them to their former glory. Unfortunately, it's turned into more of a nightmare.

His tenure just started out with a bad omen: The ONLY game in the history of the program to get cancelled by a weather event. Had we played that game against Akron (and won), we're probably a better team facing Colorado for our 2nd game instead of it being the first game. And that might have been the advantage we needed to come away with a W there.

And then maybe we have some momentum to beat Troy before facing Michigan. From there, the season could have played out as it did (except there would have been no game against Bethune Cookman) and we'd have been bowl eligible.

In 2019, we drop another stinker to Colorado and lose at home to Indiana, and again miss out on bowl eligibility.

And, after 2019, it's just a broken record. We're not getting any upset wins to speak of (PSU at home?) and we're losing to teams we shouldn't.

In 4 seasons, I would have expected to see the "it" factor -- winning the games we should; winning some of the games we're not expected to win; showing progress and improvement year over year.

And that's what we're missing. We aren't able to show progress year over year.

As most everyone around here knows, I don't like talk of canning coaches. Just generally because I have sympathy with the idea of someone getting fired and losing their job. But, at this point, I have a hard time coming up with any reason for optimism that if we keep him, the results will be any different next year or the year after.

Scott Frost buyout numbers

Dec 31, 2021: $15 million

Dec. 31, 2022: $10 million
Dec. 31, 2023: $7.5 million
Dec. 31, 2024: $5 million
Dec. 31, 2025: $2.5 million

We have $5 million reasons to not fire him before Jan 1st. Not sure if that is enough to keep him employed for one more season. It's a tough pill to swallow with the athletic department losing so much money during the pandemic. 

12 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Scott Frost buyout numbers

Dec 31, 2021: $15 million

Dec. 31, 2022: $10 million
Dec. 31, 2023: $7.5 million

We have $5 million reasons to not fire him before Jan 1st. Not sure if that is enough to keep him employed for one more season. It's a tough pill to swallow with the athletic department losing so much money during the pandemic. 

Any idea why your numbers are a little different than what is shown here? I have heard the $20m number more, but I'm also not following super closely.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Huskers/comments/kdb8qy/sf_buyout_charts_for_reference_as_you_can_see/

12 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

Any idea why your numbers are a little different than what is shown here? I have heard the $20m number more, but I'm also not following super closely.

12 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

I think you have the right numbers. What I was looking at assumed the buyout was 2.5 for the last 4 instead of the last 2.

So it's more like 

Dec 31, 2021: $20 million

Dec. 31, 2022: $15 million
Dec. 31, 2023: $10 million

On 11/3/2021 at 10:40 AM, hhcmatt said:

I think you have the right numbers. What I was looking at assumed the buyout was 2.5 for the last 4 instead of the last 2.

So it's more like 

Dec 31, 2021: $20 million

Dec. 31, 2022: $15 million
Dec. 31, 2023: $10 million

I wonder what the terms are.  Do we still get charged if he finds a new job?  Could we Bobby Bonilla the pay out, and spread it out over 10 years?  That way it is $2 million per year.  Could we get the NCAA to complete their investigation before Black Friday?  Then, fire him with cause.

A few things to look at.

37 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I'm split-- I truly am.

I get both sides of the keep/let go argument.  At some point, W's and L's have to matter.

Why are we playing Martinez with a broken jaw?  Either we've failed recruiting, we've failed development wise, or we've failed to trust our back up players.  

Could it be all three?