2021 Husker Football Outlook

I'm over "moral victories" under Frost.  I can't take any more moral victories.  With that being said-- man that was fun, we haven't played like that in a while, and that was a legit Top 10 team.

However, it's tough to be "happy" that we were close because we've been there so many times before.  At this point, I'd be ok with any direction the program took.  I think Scott could do it, we're right there, but also understand that it should already be done... if that makes sense.

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

However, it's tough to be "happy" that we were close because we've been there so many times before.  At this point, I'd be ok with any direction the program took.  I think Scott could do it, we're right there, but also understand that it should already be done... if that makes sense.

My thoughts exactly.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

There's only 13 remaining undefeated teams out there.

Nebraksa has played 3 of them. Each of which were within one score.

someone on reddit this weekend said that 6 of the 7 games we've played so far this year were against teams that were undefeated at the time we played them.

On 10/11/2021 at 6:10 PM, 49r said:

someone on reddit this weekend said that 6 of the 7 games we've played so far this year were against teams that were undefeated at the time we played them.

Yep, it's true; only Northwestern had been beaten prior to facing NU. Albeit Illinois and Fordham were also winless prior to facing NU, as well, as both were 0-0.

You know my pet peeve is that fans saying Frost took over a bare cupboard.  

Some of the players he had when he came in

Active roster in NFL

WR Stanley Morgan (Bengals)

OL Matt Farniok (Cowboys)

LB Luke Gifford (Cowboys)

DL Khalil Davis (Colts)

OL Brendan Jaimes (Chargers - starter)

RB Devine Ozigbo (Saints)

TE Jack Stoll (Eagles)

DL Carlos Davis (Steelers)

Practice squad

CB Dicaprio Bootle (Chiefs)

CB Lamar Jackson (Jets)

On 10/13/2021 at 10:00 AM, brfrad said:

You know my pet peeve is that fans saying Frost took over a bare cupboard.  

Some of the players he had when he came in

Active roster in NFL

WR Stanley Morgan (Bengals)

OL Matt Farniok (Cowboys)

LB Luke Gifford (Cowboys)

DL Khalil Davis (Colts)

OL Brendan Jaimes (Chargers - starter)

RB Devine Ozigbo (Saints)

TE Jack Stoll (Eagles)

DL Carlos Davis (Steelers)

Practice squad

CB Dicaprio Bootle (Chiefs)

CB Lamar Jackson (Jets)

How many are playing regularly?

Remember when I said I didn't feel all that bad about where the team was even though the record was bad?

I feel less so at this point.

We are inventing new ways to not win college football games which, I guess, is kind of impressive.

Edited by atskooc

I honestly do not see us winning a game the rest of the year.  Alberts has to pull the trigger this year.  We have the talent on the roster that we should be at worst 5 - 3 this year, not 3 - 5.  Give Fleck this talent and this team is 6 - 2 at worst.  This is coming from a guy who absolutely despises Fleck.

Can I start making a dream coaches list

1. Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals Has a pretty good gig right now, and has started turning around a Bengals team.  Probably not leaving

2. Mark Stoops, Kentucky Would he come to Nebraska, or is he happy at Kentucky?

3. Bill O'Brien, Alabama OC Experience in the Big 10.  Led PSU during a rough transition.  Would he look for a better gig?

4. Matt Campbell, Iowa State Would he come to Nebraska, or did he miss his chance to name his next gig?  And, if he does, is he going to be a 9 - 4 Bo type coach (don't get me wrong 9 - 4 looks really good right now)

Anyone feel free to add, if they like.

Look at the good side: pretty soon we have the opportunity to be a basketball school! Yay? 

We had a great run for a lot of years, but every behemoth program has met this same fate at one time or another. I think for those of us lucky enough to have lived through much of the bulk of that run should be happy we had that chance. 95% of college fanbases would kill to have experienced that. 

If Alberts thinks Frost can learn to be a better coach, than I think he should keep him, but that contract needs to be renegotiated prior to any extension. He needs "student coach" pay. But if Frost is as hard-headed about his current skill set as he is about most everything else, then let's go pick the next coach behind door #3 and move on to the next contestant. 

My worry with keeping Frost is next year's expectations.  Here's how I break it down.  We should go 2 - 1 in non conference.  Frost's average season against the West Division is 2 - 4.  An easier cross over schedule might produce a 2 - 1 record.   Let's say we do that and make a bowl game.  Is that sufficient for him to stay?

IMO that should be this year's goal, and next year we should be closer to winning the Big 10 west.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:30 AM, brfrad said:

My worry with keeping Frost is next year's expectations.  Here's how I break it down.  We should go 2 - 1 in non conference.  Frost's average season against the West Division is 2 - 4.  An easier cross over schedule might produce a 2 - 1 record.   Let's say we do that and make a bowl game.  Is that sufficient for him to stay?

IMO that should be this year's goal, and next year we should be closer to winning the Big 10 west.

You can throw any prognostications out the window with Frost. Fans have done this every year…”we should beat Illinois”…”we should beat Colorado” yet…Frost and his players find a way to lose. 

The worry shouldn’t be Frost lowering the bar. That’s already happened. The bigger worry with keeping Frost is recruits do not want to play for him at this point. This years class is very ugly and barring a major turnaround next year the next class will be bad as well. Just digging a deeper hole for the next coach at this point.