2021 Husker Football Outlook

53 minutes ago, 49r said:

Iowa is the perfect example of why you don't just fire a mediocre coach but instead put your faith in him.

Ferentz wouldn't have made it to year 5 as head coach at Nebraska...but he's in the driver's seat now for a playoff berth.

For every one of these examples, there's 50x as many failures in those same circumstances. But the philosophy isn't far off. If you believe in the coach, don't make emotional decisions. Trust the process.

I think we are having some trouble adjusting to the refs.  They completely took the crowd out of the game.  Every other play is a review.  Our DL is getting held right in front of the refs.  We make a good gain, and get it called back because of illegal formation.  Michigan gets a flag for illegal formation picked up, hold, get marked short, and get the play reviewed for a 1st down, all on the same play.  Not the refs' best quarter of football.  I forgot to mention the DPI when the WR just stops.  A lot of bad breaks, but got to overcome those, and play ball.

We do have to come out in the 2nd half and score, otherwise this game might be over, and shows again we are not ready for primetime.

46 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I think we are having some trouble adjusting to the refs.  They completely took the crowd out of the game.  Every other play is a review.  Our DL is getting held right in front of the refs.  We make a good gain, and get it called back because of illegal formation.  Michigan gets a flag for illegal formation picked up, hold, get marked short, and get the play reviewed for a 1st down, all on the same play.  Not the refs' best quarter of football.  I forgot to mention the DPI when the WR just stops.  A lot of bad breaks, but got to overcome those, and play ball.

We do have to come out in the 2nd half and score, otherwise this game might be over, and shows again we are not ready for primetime.

We did and now can we close?

Just rough that you lose three games to Top 11 opponents by one score.

I personally don't believe we "should have" won the Oklahoma game. Never had the lead and didn't get to that swapping of leads type of game. But we should have won the Michigan State game simply by the stats on paper. And we had a legitimate shot to win this one against Michigan (even though we let it slip out of hand in the first half; kept it within reach and found a way to claw back).

1 minute ago, 49r said:

Moral victories are for losers but boys…we’re close to being the team we all want. Real close. I have no complaints tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost wish we beat Northwestern with a last second FG, instead of by 49 points.  We have to START winning these games.  That's why this team has to get to a bowl game.  We can't go 3 full seasons without a bowl game.

I am super sick of everyone saying "We're close!  We're close!"  We need to start winning these games.  If Frost can't get the team to win these games, it's time to find someone else.  5 - 16 in one score games.

2018 (1 - 5)  overall 4 - 8  Should have beat Colorado, Troy, and Northwestern  7 - 5 bowl game 6 - 6 is still a bowl game if you take the Michigan State win being a loss

2019 (1 - 4) overall 5 - 7  Should have beat Colorado, Purdue, and Iowa  8 - 4 bowl game 7 - 5 with the Northwestern win being a loss

2020 (2 - 3) overall 3 - 5  Not even going to speculate on a bowl game because of Covid

2021 (0 - 4) overall 3 - 4 Should have beat Michigan State and Michigan.  We are 5 - 2, with a great shot at a bowl game.  Now, we have to beat 3 teams we have struggled against (Minnesota, Purdue, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa)

I am torn.  It's totally like the 2017 - 2018 basketball season.  We pass the eye test, but our numbers are saying we are not worthy.  We really, really need a bowl game.  I think Trev is keeping Frost, and fans will keep saying "We are close!" 3 bowless years from now.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

All we need is three. And Wisco might be in the first group honestly.

I keep thinking that each week.  But, I just don't know if it can happen.  It seems like each week, we go into the game of how we are going to lose this week.  Illinois we let them scoop and score, we have a safety on PR.  We miss 2 XPT's  Oklahoma we miss 2 FG's, have an XPT blocked and returned for 2 points.  MSU we dominate the 2nd half, and allow a PR for a TD.  Michigan we have a 1st down, and Martinez fumbles letting Michigan kick a game winning FG.

It's on the road, against a team we have struggled with.  Also, add on the fact our record in one score games, makes us an underdog in each game.

Again, beating us just requires you to stay close, and let us make a huge mistake.  We are going to do that, eventually.  Northwestern, Fordham, and Buffalo did not play that way.

7 hours ago, 49r said:

We’ll get there I’m sure. Might not be as fast as you or I want but I’m convinced we’ll get there.

I wouldn't be so upset if we were headed into the game at 5 - 1 (where we should be), and lost like that.  But, heading into the game at 3 - 3, and lose in that fashion is getting frustrating.