2021 Husker Football Outlook

8 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Frost has a very large buyout. Kudos to him for working that out despite being a very average to bad coach. 

The question is….can Trev afford not to fire him at this point? There really is no excuse keeping him another year outside of the buyout money Nebraska would owe him. 

Many on this board were critical of our administration putting handcuffs on Tim Miles by not extending his contract and hindering his recruiting efforts.

Well... Frost doesn't have that. And the results at the end of the day aren't getting better.

Not asking in a whiny way, but who do you go after?  I would really like to see your list and way they would fit here.  I am willing to finish the year but if we make a change I don’t want it to be a change because of change.  I know that it is a crap shoot ever time somebody comes in but who might make it here and make a change for the best?

On 9/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, Silverbacked1 said:

Not asking in a whiny way, but who do you go after?  I would really like to see your list and way they would fit here.  I am willing to finish the year but if we make a change I don’t want it to be a change because of change.  I know that it is a crap shoot ever time somebody comes in but who might make it here and make a change for the best?

Here's a somber stat.  Right now, we are one of 3 Big Ten teams to have not made a bowl since 2018.  Maryland and Rutgers are the two others.  We need 4 wins to be bowl eligible.   Maryland needs 2 and Rutgers needs 3.  If we fail to make a bowl,  and they both do, it's going to be tough to show progress to the fans, players,  and recruits.

I am looking for a coach whose team does not beat themselves.   Look at Iowa.  A top 5 team with a dreadful offense.  They are a top 5 team because they wait for other teams to make mistakes and capitalize on those mistakes. (That, and they beat 2 overrated teams in ISU and Indiana)  It's what every team that plays us does.

I really want whoever's Nebraska's coach to succeed.   I would gladly eat crow if Frost does turn this around.  At this point, us fans are playing the game, "How do we lose this week?"

Some names to consider:

Donte Williams 

Matt Campbell

Bill O'Brien

On 9/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, Silverbacked1 said:

I have no idea…I was all in on Frost and that has turned out to be a disaster. I think Trev is probably more trustworthy finding a decent coach than many of our past AD’s.  

The job is still attractive but we aren’t going to be getting any proven P5 coaches that are currently winning to leave their current job id imagine. I also don’t think Frost is fired this year despite him racking up the losses again. 

38 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Only posting here right now because I've thrown some shade throughout this season.

This looks like a different team. And it has everything to do with our offensive line and our receivers. I don't remember the last time I've got to enjoy a blowout game like this against a P5 team in awhile.

It does help that Northwestern is not very good this year.  However,  Illinois is not a good team, either.  If only we could have the Illinois and Michigan State back, we could be challenging Iowa in the West.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Only posting here right now because I've thrown some shade throughout this season.

This looks like a different team. And it has everything to do with our offensive line and our receivers. I don't remember the last time I've got to enjoy a blowout game like this against a P5 team in awhile.

Yeah me too. They looked very confident tonight, and it showed. Well done, Huskers! Hopefully they can keep this going in the right direction. 

The key is limiting mistakes.  No TO's, few penalties, no ST catastrophe.   We do that, and we have enough talent to hang and beat every team on our schedule.  Under Frost, we have seen too few of these games happening.  That's what is so frustrating.  3 wins to go.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Every game is important; but this is a HUGE game for the program today!  Just saying...

It's a huge opportunity.  An opportunity to show we turned a corner.  An opportunity to take a step closer to bowl eligibility.  An opportunity to show that we're not a home pushover like we have been in the past few years.

25 minutes ago, hskr4life said:
2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Every game is important; but this is a HUGE game for the program today!  Just saying...

It's a huge opportunity.  An opportunity to show we turned a corner.  An opportunity to take a step closer to bowl eligibility.  An opportunity to show that we're not a home pushover like we have been in the past few years.

giphy.webp

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

We have to get to 6 wins somehow.  OSU is looking tough.  Iowa is going to be a tough match-up (they take advantage of your mistakes.  We usually happily oblige those to other teams).  Minnesota and Purdue look like winnable games.  It will come down to Wisconsin or Michigan for that 6th win.  I personally want to see tangible results.  A bowl game would show me, this might work.

It feels like right now, after each close game, we are saying "If only we wouldn't have made so many mistakes."

Edited by brfrad

13 minutes ago, 49r said:

Iowa is the perfect example of why you don't just fire a mediocre coach but instead put your faith in him.

Ferentz wouldn't have made it to year 5 as head coach at Nebraska...but he's in the driver's seat now for a playoff berth.

He was in a bowl game in his 3rd year, and co-champs in his 4th year.