2021 Husker Football Outlook

The PFF Preseason College Football All-Big Ten Team: Indiana's Michael Penix Jr. headlines the quarterback position | College Football | PFF

Not a lot of Huskers on the Big Ten 4-deep roster.

None on offense; none on special teams (including 2 kicking positions and 2 returner positions); 2  made it on defense.

So, out of 27 total positions listed, 108 total Big Ten players, there were 2 Huskers. Two.

The average would have been 7.7 (108/14 = 7.7143)

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I doubt there's a Big Ten team that put fewer players on the pre-season conference 4-deep.

Edited by Norm Peterson

• Norm Peterson changed the title to 2021 Husker Football Outlook

This is a bit depressing: 

2021 College Football Preseason QB Rankings: All 130 FBS starters | College Football | PFF

You'd figure in a good year, we'd have a top 10 QB. In an average year, you'd figure we'd have at least a top 30 QB. In a down year, you'd expect we'd still have a top 50 QB.

Nope.

Top 75. Out of 130 D1 teams. One spot behind Tristan Gebbia.

Near the bottom end of Tier 4, which they describe thusly:

"These college quarterbacks rank right in the middle of their peers. Some of them have hardly shown an ability to produce at a quality level and are consistently average. And then there are others who have flashed stellar play but then negated it with poor performances. The signal-callers in this tier need elite supporting casts on both sides of the ball if their teams are to have big years."

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This is a bit depressing: 

2021 College Football Preseason QB Rankings: All 130 FBS starters | College Football | PFF

You'd figure in a good year, we'd have a top 10 QB. In an average year, you'd figure we'd have at least a top 30 QB. In a down year, you'd expect we'd still have a top 50 QB.

Nope.

Top 75. Out of 130 D1 teams. One spot behind Tristan Gebbia.

Near the bottom end of Tier 4, which they describe thusly:

"These college quarterbacks rank right in the middle of their peers. Some of them have hardly shown an ability to produce at a quality level and are consistently average. And then there are others who have flashed stellar play but then negated it with poor performances. The signal-callers in this tier need elite supporting casts on both sides of the ball if their teams are to have big years."

Adrian's problem is inconsistency, holding onto the ball, and throwing to the correct team.  I was encouraged by the 2nd half of the Rutgers game.  He had only one bad throw, but his deep throws were much more on target.

Again, taking care of the ball and improved special teams are the keys to this season.  Do both, and this should be a decent season.

3 hours ago, brfrad said:

Adrian's problem is inconsistency, holding onto the ball, and throwing to the correct team.  I was encouraged by the 2nd half of the Rutgers game.  He had only one bad throw, but his deep throws were much more on target.

Again, taking care of the ball and improved special teams are the keys to this season.  Do both, and this should be a decent season.

He had a really good freshman year. PFF ID'd him as like the 2nd most accurate returning Big Ten QB for downfield throws behind the kid from Michigan, I believe.

And then he had a sophomore slump. Was thinking too much and not feeling the game well enough. His downfield accuracy was off. I assumed he had undisclosed shoulder issues. You had to hope it was just a sophomore slump and junior season would be a bounce-back year. It wasn't.

Honestly, I'd love to just get back to freshman season Adrian. Be wonderful if he was like an improved version of the freshman year player, but I'd honestly just be happy to see him get back to the ability he showed as a frosh.

• 5 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Outlook is grim... and that's putting it nicely.  

Seriously! It’s one thing when the other team is better, but the mistakes have basically given them all 16 points and taken at least 1 if not 5 points off the board. And all this from a team under a 4th year coach against a brand new (although experienced) coach. Which team do you think is better coached? The one is his 33rd game at the school or his first? The Illini already have an offensive identity and NU can’t get out of its own way.  I’m not a Frost basher and do want them to win, but the reality is staring me in the face. Illinois will soon pass by NU in football even if they don’t today. I’m so thankful Husker Hoops has Hoiberg!