ACC/Big 10 Challenge pairings

21 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I remember when they lost to the Bullets in the EASTERN Conference finals in ‘78, people forget all the real stars at that time came over from the ABA...

I remember that as well. Actually could get AM station out of San Antonio and listened to games on my clock radio.

50 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

If we start punching above our weight class, getting one-n-dones here on a somewhat regular basis & WINNING tournament games, how long until we see Duke or UNC on the schedule? Not a pie in the sky prediction, but I hope within 3-5 seasons it won’t seem unusual at all...

I'd imagine we'd have to see 3-4 consecutive seasons of making the dance before we're even considered.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

We won’t get UNC or Duke in 30 or 40 years. It’s just never gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember, Duke wasn’t always “Duke” & where was Baylor a few years ago? I’m not naive, but things are a lot more fluid in Basketball than the other major sports...

On 7/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, Handy Johnson said:

If we start punching above our weight class, getting one-n-dones here on a somewhat regular basis & WINNING tournament games, how long until we see Duke or UNC on the schedule? Not a pie in the sky prediction, but I hope within 3-5 seasons it won’t seem unusual at all...

Only if we go there.  I don't see Duke or North Carolina coming here in the near future.  Nebraska doesn't have the long history of winning seasons and they are not going to come to Lincoln if there is any chance of them losing 

Since this thread has been somewhat sidetracked, allowing a brief sojourn into nostalgia, I shall contribute a few stream of consciousness thoughts. I remember when Bill Jackman was one of Coach K.'s prized recruits. I think he might have even made a trip to Nebraska to see him play in high school. I remember seeing Oscar Robertson, Gary Williams and Jumping Joe Caldwell play at Allen Fieldhouse as undergrads. I remember seeing Michael Jordan play for the Bulls at BDSC. I remember seeing Connie Hawkins dunk for the Suns in Phoenix. I remember seeing George Gervin and Dr. J battle each other in the ABA in San Antonio. I remember seeing Nate Archibald play as an undergraduate in El Paso. I remember seeing Kevin McHale play at BDSC for the Gophers and later from courtside seats on the parquet at the old Boston Garden. Ah, the wonders I've seen. Hopefully I'll be able to see the McGowens brothers lead NU to the promised land.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Since this thread has been somewhat sidetracked, allowing a brief sojourn into nostalgia, I shall contribute a few stream of consciousness thoughts. I remember when Bill Jackman was one of Coach K.'s prized recruits. I think he might have even made a trip to Nebraska to see him play in high school. I remember seeing Oscar Robertson, Gary Williams and Jumping Joe Caldwell play at Allen Fieldhouse as undergrads. I remember seeing Michael Jordan play for the Bulls at BDSC. I remember seeing Connie Hawkins dunk for the Suns in Phoenix. I remember seeing George Gervin and Dr. J battle each other in the ABA in San Antonio. I remember seeing Nate Archibald play as an undergraduate in El Paso. I remember seeing Kevin McHale play at BDSC for the Gophers and later from courtside seats on the parquet at the old Boston Garden. Ah, the wonders I've seen. Hopefully I'll be able to see the McGowens brothers lead NU to the promised land.

Great memories Jimmy, I can’t dive that deep, but I was lucky enough to Shaq as an 18 year old. Dunked it so hard he bent the entire standard at the Olympic Festival games in Williams Arena. Saw Glenn Robinson @ Purdue & easily the greatest College player I saw in person was Wayman Tisdale.