ACC/Big 10 Challenge pairings

FINALLY we get the Wolfpack. I’ve been a huge fan since the David Thompson days, who can forget his 73 point performance for the Nuggets the same day Gervin scores 63 (and the ‘78 scoring title) If you’ve never seen the ‘76 ABA slam dunk contest check it out on the YouTube. Dr. J, David Thompson, Larry Kenon...

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

FINALLY we get the Wolfpack. I’ve been a huge fan since the David Thompson days, who can forget his 73 point performance for the Nuggets the same day Gervin scores 63 (and the ‘78 scoring title) If you’ve never seen the ‘76 ABA slam dunk contest check it out on the YouTube. Dr. J, David Thompson, Larry Kenon...

Forget? I can't even remember.  I was 5 years old when David Thompson graduated.  

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Who else got to see them in 1988 when Jimmy V, Charles Shackleford and Vinny Del Negro rolled into town as a 3 seed and fell on their face vs. Murray State?

I left that session thinking Kansas might win the whole thing.  And then they did.  

55 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Forget? I can't even remember.  I was 5 years old when David Thompson graduated.  

I knew that one was coming as I was typing in my initial thoughts. Growing up in the sticks allowed AM radio from all over to filter in. Listened to lots of Spurs/Nuggets games as kid. 130-140 point games were not uncommon. The Ice Man & David “Skywalker” Thompson...!

29 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Who else got to see them in 1988 when Jimmy V, Charles Shackleford and Vinny Del Negro rolled into town as a 3 seed and fell on their face vs. Murray State?

I left that session thinking Kansas might win the whole thing.  And then they did.  

I was there for all of the games. KU got a boost from Husker fans in their opener as a player from Xavier in the days leading up to the game said something about Lincoln and 7/11's. I can't remember the context, but Nebraskans, in particular Lincolnites, took exception and provided a home court advantage for the Jayhawks. Some really good basketball played in that regional along with some pretty good talent. Pitt with Charles Smith and Jerome Lane, Vandy with Will Perdue, Del Negro and Shackleford mentioned above and of course Manning.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I knew that one was coming as I was typing in my initial thoughts. Growing up in the sticks allowed AM radio from all over to filter in. Listened to lots of Spurs/Nuggets games as kid. 130-140 point games were not uncommon. The Ice Man & David “Skywalker” Thompson...!

I was at a couple of Nuggets games during that era - David, Alex English, Dan Issel, and Kiki VanDeWeghe. They could score like you breath. Loved those Spurs teams as well. Didn't every kid from that era have the poster of Gervin sitting on the ice blocks? He was countered inside with Artis GIlmore and Billy Paultz. And Jonny Moore is a lost gem to history. I remember he had a couple of quadruple doubles in his career. And I'm probably combining teams from different years  but I know Mike Mitchell was in there somewhere.

1 hour ago, hugh42 said:

I was there for all of the games. KU got a boost from Husker fans in their opener as a player from Xavier in the days leading up to the game said something about Lincoln and 7/11's. I can't remember the context, but Nebraskans, in particular Lincolnites, took exception and provided a home court advantage for the Jayhawks. Some really good basketball played in that regional along with some pretty good talent. Pitt with Charles Smith and Jerome Lane, Vandy with Will Perdue, Del Negro and Shackleford mentioned above and of course Manning.

I believe the quote was "the only things in Nebraska are farms and 7/11's."  Not the smartest thing to say to a host city. I remember you going to the games but can't remember why I didn't. Probably cause I had to work at Mister Donut!

5 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I believe the quote was "the only things in Nebraska are farms and 7/11's."  Not the smartest thing to say to a host city. I remember you going to the games but can't remember why I didn't. Probably cause I had to work at Mister Donut!

That sounds right and Husker fans voiced their displeasure. You would have thought that Xavier was a hated rival or something. Can't recall why you couldn't go, but if it was due to Mister Donut, that's dedication right there. 😬

On 6/29/2021 at 3:51 PM, Dean Smith said:

I was at a couple of Nuggets games during that era - David, Alex English, Dan Issel, and Kiki VanDeWeghe. They could score like you breath. Loved those Spurs teams as well. Didn't every kid from that era have the poster of Gervin sitting on the ice blocks? He was countered inside with Artis GIlmore and Billy Paultz. And Jonny Moore is a lost gem to history. I remember he had a couple of quadruple doubles in his career. And I'm probably combining teams from different years  but I know Mike Mitchell was in there somewhere.

Still a Spurs fan to this day even though I watch very little NBA. Johnny Moore got a virus that not only derailed his career but almost took his life. Mike Mitchell was great scorer. They stunk for couple years but winning draft lottery and getting Robinson and Duncan was well worth the agony. Had couple of Gervin posters on my wall growing up. Do kids still do that?

1 hour ago, roscoe said:

Still a Spurs fan to this day even though I watch very little NBA. Johnny Moore got a virus that not only derailed his career but almost took his life. Mike Mitchell was great scorer. They stunk for couple years but winning draft lottery and getting Robinson and Duncan was well worth the agony. Had couple of Gervin posters on my wall growing up. Do kids still do that?

I remember when they lost to the Bullets in the EASTERN Conference finals in ‘78, people forget all the real stars at that time came over from the ABA...

9 hours ago, roscoe said:

Time to throw this thread even more off topic - I'm pretty sure I went to a Kansas City/Omaha Kings game vs the Spurs in the mid-1970s at the Civic - I was pretty little, but I'm sure the Ice Man was pictured on the game program. The Kings biggest stars then were Sam Lacey and Scott Wedman, maybe Ron Boone played with them by then too (I don't think Tiny was still with the team) so it wouldn't be a surprise that they promoted the opponent more than the Kings players, especially when they played "at home" in Omaha. (To be fair, I don't know how much of a "star" Sam Lacey was, but he was my favorite player. 😁 To my tiny brain at that time, the tallest players had to be the best.)

They gave all kids an "autographed" Kings basketball - played with that thing everyday in the driveway until I wore off every faux signature. 😁