Moos is Out?

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

No idea how Alberts will do here but ultimately getting rid of the football program, bringing basketball to D-1, and building up the hockey program were all the right moves for Omaha.

While all this is true, and while Trev may, in fact, be the best possible person to lead the AD now, it still has a small-time feel to it.  A Big Ten school should be able to expect to choose from a much more experienced/qualified pool of candidates.

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

While all this is true, and while Trev may, in fact, be the best possible person to lead the AD now, it still has a small-time feel to it.  A Big Ten school should be able to expect to choose from a much more experienced/qualified pool of candidates.

He raises money, he knows football, he's a former Husker, he's in his 50s. Did I remember to mention he raises money?  That checks most every box.  It's very Nebrasketball to wonder why we're hiring a mid-major guy though 😀

Circling back, Alberts is around next year to be hired.  Why did we buy out the previous guy again? 

22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

He raises money, he knows football, he's a former Husker, he's in his 50s. Did I remember to mention he raises money?  That checks most every box.  It's very Nebrasketball to wonder why we're hiring a mid-major guy though 😀

Circling back, Alberts is around next year to be hired.  Why did we buy out the previous guy again? 

Yeah, this is a good point - probably gives credence to the idea that Moos was phoning it in and they just wanted to make the change sooner rather than later. Moos played them perfectly on the buyout, though. Not Green's best negotiating moment.

I am a little surprised it's Alberts - I didn't think it sounded like he was interested when it was initially announced Moos was leaving. Clearly wrong on that call.

This is a solid hire. I mentioned it earlier in this thread (I think), but what he has done at UNO is nothing short of miraculous. When you consider where that athletic department was financially and with facilities when he arrived to where it is today, it's impressive. The behind the scenes work that must be done to navigate going from D-II to D-I is a lot tougher than people know, especially as bad as their facilities were. To do that while continuing to take care of & improve your #1 sport in hockey that was already D-I is even more challenging.

He has elevated hockey to the best conference in the country with a new, perfectly sized arena. I know the cutting of football & wrestling get the headlines, but those clearly were the right moves in hindsight.

He'll hire good people, give them the blueprint for his vision, and let them do their jobs. If Frost & Co can get football moving in the right direction, Alberts is walking into an ideal situation. He definitely won't get in the way of the sports that seem to be on the right path, including hoops.

Edited by throwback

I like Trev and think he did a very good job for the most part at UNO.  The only black mark to me was wrestling in my opinion.  The wrestling coach was very combative with Trev and the move to cut wrestling seemed more personal in nature to me.  The wrestling coach did himself no favors though.   We didn’t really “need”’soccer to fit into the Summit.  

I think the good far outweighs the bad with Trev.  From hockey to moving to D1 to facilities improvements…very good job.  And basketball and baseball are looking good to me trajectory-wise…he can focus on football to start off.  Not a bad spot to be in.  And if worst case scenario happens and we have to part ways with Frost, Trev hired Dean Blaise for hockey, which is like hiring Urban Meyer for football. He isn’t afraid to go for the big hire.  

15 minutes ago, tcp said:

He has one job: save football. Wishing him all the luck. 

I'm not sure that's biggest priority. At least not yet. I think it's getting the entire athletic department unified and moving in the same direction. Plug the leaks and stabilize things. Hopefully in the meantime, football will be in a better spot, but if it's not, then he can get that ship in order. But I personally think there's a bigger mission than the football program that needs his attention first.

24 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I'm not sure that's biggest priority. At least not yet. I think it's getting the entire athletic department unified and moving in the same direction. Plug the leaks and stabilize things. Hopefully in the meantime, football will be in a better spot, but if it's not, then he can get that ship in order. But I personally think there's a bigger mission than the football program that needs his attention first.

One thing that struck me was when he talked about commitment to unity of purpose and having everyone rowing the boat in the same direction (to use a hackneyed metaphor) across not only the AD but the University and state as a whole.  This is the kind of thing that interviews with Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione reveal is what has brought them so much success during his tenure there.  I've made no secret my fondness for Joe and his ability as AD, so I can say that I hope very strongly that what Trev was talking about today is a genuine motivation and that he indeed is committed to achieving this goal.  If he does, I have no doubt that he and the entire AD will be successful.

The things we can do to make Football successful are the same things we do to make Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, and every other sport at NU successful.  This was apparent during the 90's with Byrne.  We didn't just have the best football program in the country, but we also had quite a bit of success in all sports.  I don't think Bill Byrne gets enough credit for what he did to elevate our Athletic Department while he was here.

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

One thing that struck me was when he talked about commitment to unity of purpose and having everyone rowing the boat in the same direction (to use a hackneyed metaphor) across not only the AD but the University and state as a whole.

I can think of worse metaphors. At least he didn't say "we have to all stay on the plantation."

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Are there reasons beyond either Trev not being from a bigger school or him killing off football/wrestling at UNO that people don't like this hire? Just curious.

I guess for me, is that we have had worse hires. But who knows how this hire will work out. He could be the next guy to walk on water in Nebraska.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

No idea how Alberts will do here but ultimately getting rid of the football program, bringing basketball/other sports to D-1, and building up the hockey program were all the right moves for Omaha.

I disagree that they were all the right moves.  Dropping a national championship wrestling program should have been avoided at all costs.  

I think it's a safe, solid hire for these reasons.

1) Trev is already familiar with the boosters in Omaha.  There will be some crossover to Nebraska-Lincoln because of football.  He also will be familiar with old-time Lincoln boosters and greater (rural) Nebraska boosters from his playing days.   He understands the culture of this state and what Lincoln is about.  Already travels in the right circles. 

2)  This is a destination job for him and he is fairly young yet.   They shouldnt have to redo this process for another 15 tears or so.

3)  12 years of experience as A.D of Omaha is good experience.  He has shown he can make tough decisions and weather them.  Bringing in hockey was extremely smart.  That's a sport Omaha owns.  They don't have to compete with Lincoln&football.  They don't have to compete with the Creighton/Lincoln for basketball.  I am not sure I am explaining it well but for me hockey in Nebraska makes me think MAV'S.    He did well in establishing the Omaha brand and he does compete in Basketball but he doesn't have to 'own' it as they have something to hang their hat on day in and day out.  Do I make any sense?

4)  I don't think the athletic department is broken.  They don't need to make a lot of changes or cause waves.  I believe Trev will be able to hit the ground running.  He will make small positive changes I am sure.  He'll put his stamp on it but he doesn't need to change the brand or start over.

From the amount of times that they recognized Klassy, I'd say he was a strong finalist.  I hope he stays with the program.  Sounds like an outstanding individual. 

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Are we still having these issues?  I thought we corrected this with Moos.  Then again I am not close to things so perhaps not everyone was on board with the Moos regime.