Moos is Out?

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm looking around at the winning percentage of our cash cow and wondering why on earth we'd want to keep the status quo on a hire.  I'd hire Grant Gibbs if that meant 10 wins in football.

Sure, but he needs to exhaust his athletic eligibility before we could even consider him, I'd think.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I mean, maybe, but he's been there for a long time now and, from everything I hear, the department was in rough shape when he took over, he had to make some super tough decisions that were very unpopular, but probably saved the department and made the successful transition to D1. Again, perhaps my info is way off, but it seems to me he's done a really good job. Doesn't make him the man for the job, but I do think he'd do a pretty good job if it came to it.

This is a good explanation. He made some very tough decisions early on -- and probably, in hindsight, would've handled them differently from a PR perspective -- but those decisions saved UNO athletics. The move to D-1 was a necessity. Simply put, football & wresting couldn't come along for the ride from a budget perspective.

To build Baxter Arena and a new baseball/softball complex with the budget they have is nothing short of miraculous. When he arrived, their facilities were on par with a high-end Nebraska high school. Their revenue sport, hockey, was renting practice space anywhere they could find it in town. It's a whole different feel at UNO now.

To hire Dean Blais in hockey when he did was even more shocking then us hiring Hoiberg. He also navigated their #1 sport in hockey into the best conference in the country with a fraction of the tradition/history of the majority of its members. (Granted, he had a lot of help in hockey from Mike Kemp.)

He's good at hiring good people, staying out of the way, and letting them do their jobs. He might be a bit too much like Moos in that regard. And he also isn't all that visible at events (again, like Moos), so I don't know how closely NU would consider him. Most new hires don't have much in common with the predecessor in these types of positions.

If nothing else, he knows how to sell his vision for the future, and then he makes it happen more often than not. Ultimately, I don't think he's interested in coming to Lincoln, but he's more than qualified. 

On 6/25/2021 at 4:48 PM, 49r said:

I was reading cyclonefanatic.com this morning and they were saying it was an early season MTE like in the Caribbean or something.  Suffice it to say Hoiberg would probably not be on board with bringing Pollard in as our AD, but the point is moot anyway because Jamie Pollard has been on the record as saying a lot of not so kind stuff about Nebraska and Lincoln in general.  He's not going anywhere and certainly not to Lincoln.

Also, as an aside, it's startling just how much discussion there is on that board about all things Huskers and the amount of just absolute, vile hate they have for us.  So weird.  I've always kind of had a soft spot for ISU and rooted for them in general when not playing against us, but it's clear the feelings are NOT mutual in that fan base.  Oh well, I suppose if I had to live in that state I'd develop a bad attitude too.

That is interesting.  I have always rooted for them too for some reason.  I thought it was great when they had such a great year in football.  I wonder why they hate us so much.  I figured they would sort of like us since they hate Iowa so much and we deal with them quite often.  At the end of the day, I cannot believe I wasted the time it took to type this by caring one bit.  

50 minutes ago, throwback said:

Sure, but he needs to exhaust his athletic eligibility before we could even consider him, I'd think.

One thing is for sure, with 4 master's degrees and 1 law degree, he would clearly meet any education requirements for the job.

8 minutes ago, royalfan said:

That is interesting.  I have always rooted for them too for some reason.  I thought it was great when they had such a great year in football.  I wonder why they hate us so much.  I figured they would sort of like us since they hate Iowa so much and we deal with them quite often.  At the end of the day, I cannot believe I wasted the time it took to type this by caring one bit.  

This is the same way I feel.  I root for them all the time, particularly in basketball.  Always had a kind of soft spot for ISU.  So it does hurt a little to see just how much hate and vitriol they seem to have for the Huskers.

C'est la vie, though.  Their hate validates us I guess...so I'l accept it.

3 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I mean, maybe, but he's been there for a long time now and, from everything I hear, the department was in rough shape when he took over, he had to make some super tough decisions that were very unpopular, but probably saved the department and made the successful transition to D1. Again, perhaps my info is way off, but it seems to me he's done a really good job. Doesn't make him the man for the job, but I do think he'd do a pretty good job if it came to it.

I have no idea who would perform well as an AD at Nebraska. I honestly think its a crapshoot anyway you go. It just struck me as funny. 

"Welp. At least he's done the job before."

Along the lines of those old Holiday Inn express commercials.

Carry on. Nothing to see 😂

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Non-sequitur.

"Representation" and "wokeness" aren't synonymous. And it doesn't necessarily follow that someone who is "woke" will belong to a group that enhances "representation" in any meaningful way.

Let's say they hired Steve Kerr to be the next AD. Just supposing. Woke? Oh, for sure. Representative? You want to explain that one to me?

Do you think players care more about the political views of the AD? Or that the AD will put them in the best position to be successful?

I would love to see them hire Ron Brown as the next AD just to watch you twist yourself into a pretzel.

Just stop. It’s not this difficult. 

On 6/25/2021 at 4:16 PM, Art Vandalay said:

Fred is not a fan of Pollard, so no go

Davison will not even be considered, OWH shows how clueless they are by throwing out his name.

Give Moos credit, he did what was needed.  Don’t buy for a second all these coaches come here if Eichorst was still the AD.

Agree. Scott Frost had to be comfortable with Bill Moos and that’s why that initial meeting with Bill and Kendra was so important. 

44 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That was actually my first reaction to what you said.

I'd say mine was pretty straight forward. Our African American student-athletes have been working very hard behind the scenes to get better representation of African Americans within power/administrative positions at the University. Some call thinking that way, "wokeness." I call it seeking appropriate representation. 

You attempting to define this as a non-sequitur was far more needlessly complicated.

Our black student-athletes would like more black people in administration/leadership roles. Pretty straight forward. 

24 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I'd say mine was pretty straight forward. Our African American student-athletes have been working very hard behind the scenes to get better representation of African Americans within power/administrative positions at the University. Some call thinking that way, "wokeness." I call it seeking appropriate representation. 

You attempting to define this as a non-sequitur was far more needlessly complicated.

Our black student-athletes would like more black people in administration/leadership roles. Pretty straight forward. 

You asserted, wrongly, that "woke" and "representative" are the same thing. That's not what @jimmykc said. You put words in his mouth. He said "woke." You asserted, without basis, that it's the same thing as "representative." And you, therefore, implied, again wrongly, that when jimmy says he doesn't want anyone "woke" that what he really means is that he doesn't want anyone "black."

That's the non-sequitur. It doesn't necessarily follow that to hire someone "woke" is to hire someone who is "representative." Nor does it follow that not wanting someone "woke" means you don't want someone hired who is a minority.

"Woke" encompasses a whole set of attitudes and viewpoints that don't necessarily have anything to do with a person's race. I wouldn't have thought I would have to explain this, but here we are.

Thanks, Norm. To make this even less complicated, I will restate my original comment. It simply meant that I wanted the new AD to be someone capable of managing the athletic department in a competent manner which will allow NU to excel in all athletic and academic endeavors. I do not care about that individual's sexual orientation, race, color, political views, religion, or personality as long as he or she can do the job. I simply think using any of these criteria to choose the candidate, as well as his or her degree of "woke-ness" (whatever that is), should be irrelevant. Capiche?

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Thanks, Norm. To make this even less complicated, I will restate my original comment. It simply meant that I wanted the new AD to be someone capable of managing the athletic department in a competent manner which will allow NU to excel in all athletic and academic endeavors. I do not care about that individual's sexual orientation, race, color, political views, religion, or personality as long as he or she can do the job. I simply think using any of these criteria to choose the candidate, as well as his or her degree of "woke-ness" (whatever that is), should be irrelevant. Capiche?

We're hiring the head of athletics. Anyone we interview or hire is going to be competent and will likely have a longstanding career in college athletics as either a coach and/or an administrator. Just because of how we're wired one could almost bank on this being a former football player or coach.

Ronnie Green hired Moos. He's going to hire the next AD.  Was there something in that previous hiring process that somehow would prompt you to question that we wouldn't hire the best or at the very least a capable candidate? 

I know nothing about the previous hiring process. However, I do know that a great deal seems to have changed in the last four years in the way business, academia, and ,yes, athletics have politicized almost every decision to be made. Now, to get back to basketball. How about making Doc. Sadler the new AD? That would be ok with me.

21 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

You asserted, wrongly, that "woke" and "representative" are the same thing. That's not what @jimmykc said. You put words in his mouth. He said "woke." You asserted, without basis, that it's the same thing as "representative." And you, therefore, implied, again wrongly, that when jimmy says he doesn't want anyone "woke" that what he really means is that he doesn't want anyone "black."

That's the non-sequitur. It doesn't necessarily follow that to hire someone "woke" is to hire someone who is "representative." Nor does it follow that not wanting someone "woke" means you don't want someone hired who is a minority.

"Woke" encompasses a whole set of attitudes and viewpoints that don't necessarily have anything to do with a person's race. I wouldn't have thought I would have to explain this, but here we are.

I know what he meant. You know what he meant. You know what I mean. You’re being intentionally combative and obtuse. 

21 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Jimmy I got you man - I apologize if I’m misconstruing anything you’re saying. I know you’re a solid dude.

My issue with your statement, and others who’ve made similar, is every time any institution goes, “we’d really like to explore and possible go with a minority candidate here,” everyone immediately goes into, “well I hope they’re just hiring the most qualified person regardless of a, b, c.”

My thing is, “of course they’re qualified!” I strongly dislike the assumption that by going with a minority candidate that said institution was somehow taking a chance on a lesser qualified candidate to be woke, or virtue signal (or whatever). I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, but personally I believe that is what is being implied when people say that. 

I strongly believe we need more minority representation within administration, leadership, and power roles. I feel it is better for our country and all of our people in the long run. And especially at a place, like an athletics department, where so many of the student athletes are African Americans. Just my opinion. 

Ronnie Green on what he's looking for 

https://starherald.com/sports/huskers/unl-chancellor-ronnie-green-discusses-husker-a-d-search-we-need-the-right-leader/article_f3733ed9-44e2-5573-856c-97b4b5b782fe.html

There is no video in this link but randomly I think that Green's voice sounds like Rev. Lovejoy from the SImpsons.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Ronnie Green on what he's looking for 

https://starherald.com/sports/huskers/unl-chancellor-ronnie-green-discusses-husker-a-d-search-we-need-the-right-leader/article_f3733ed9-44e2-5573-856c-97b4b5b782fe.html

There is no video in this link but randomly I think that Green's voice sounds like Rev. Lovejoy from the SImpsons.

I was thinking more Leslie Jordan, the actor who played Earl "Brother Boy" Ingram in "Sordid Lives."

5 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I know what he meant. You know what he meant. You know what I mean. You’re being intentionally combative and obtuse. 

Yeah, you were happy Tim Cook lost his job as the strength coach because he didn't have the right qualifications competence aptitude age and ability to "relate well with the players."

I think I know exactly what you meant.

Kurt Joseph added as Director of Men's Basketball Strength & Conditioning - The Haymarket Hardwood - Husker Hoops Central