Moos is Out?

36 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

He always struck me as overmatched & out of his element (regardless if he owned a ranch). The way he handled Tim Miles told me all I needed to know about him. Frost/Hoiberg/Bolt with their Nebraska ties would’ve come here regardless of the AD. I for one am hoping Hank Bounds gets the nod, not Trev Alberts & not someone who’s supposedly “on the come”...

I don’t quite agree to this, miles was on the chopping block before moos got here.  The majority of the fan base was done with him after our terrible NIT exit and he was given one more year with lots of good parts to win and the wagon went off the road by the end.  I liked Tim miles, but there’s no denying he got about as long of a leash as a college coach at a power 5 program will get.  

I’m also not so sure on the three coaches coming here just due to their ties either.  On some of the football forums there were posted reports of frost all but being hired at Florida before Mullen but was told ye couldn’t bring his whole coaching staff.  Fred had been shopping around and had tons of suitors, in fact if Iowa state doesn’t wait an extra season I’m positive he goes back there and there were many reports about will bolt being groomed to take over at A&M, even after this season there were still rumors about needing to up his salary because A&M had contacted him after Childress left.  Just some food for thought, I personally thought Moos did everything in his power to put us in the right track and he hired every single coach the fan base wanted, got us ahead of the curve on NIL which will be big in the long run and raised a ton of money in a short amount of time to pull off a massive construction project that people had been talking about for years.  I don’t really see the negatives others are seeing, but that’s just me.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

He always struck me as overmatched & out of his element (regardless if he owned a ranch). The way he handled Tim Miles told me all I needed to know about him. Frost/Hoiberg/Bolt with their Nebraska ties would’ve come here regardless of the AD. I for one am hoping Hank Bounds gets the nod, not Trev Alberts & not someone who’s supposedly “on the come”...

Agreed.  That one bball game he attended showed how much he cared for Miles.

18 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

I don’t quite agree to this, miles was on the chopping block before moos got here.  The majority of the fan base was done with him after our terrible NIT exit and he was given one more year with lots of good parts to win and the wagon went off the road by the end.  I liked Tim miles, but there’s no denying he got about as long of a leash as a college coach at a power 5 program will get.  

I’m also not so sure on the three coaches coming here just due to their ties either.  On some of the football forums there were posted reports of frost all but being hired at Florida before Mullen but was told ye couldn’t bring his whole coaching staff.  Fred had been shopping around and had tons of suitors, in fact if Iowa state doesn’t wait an extra season I’m positive he goes back there and there were many reports about will bolt being groomed to take over at A&M, even after this season there were still rumors about needing to up his salary because A&M had contacted him after Childress left.  Just some food for thought, I personally thought Moos did everything in his power to put us in the right track and he hired every single coach the fan base wanted, got us ahead of the curve on NIL which will be big in the long run and raised a ton of money in a short amount of time to pull off a massive construction project that people had been talking about for years.  I don’t really see the negatives others are seeing, but that’s just me.

Not sure about that.  A lot of people were pissed Miles was let go and still are.  The way he handled that was pretty crappy.  Not sayimg Miles didnt hit his ceiling but Moos pretty much didnt care

1 minute ago, coughunter said:

Not sure about that.  A lot of people were pissed Miles was let go and still are.  The way he handled that was pretty crappy.  Not sayimg Miles didnt hit his ceiling but Moos pretty much didnt care

You’ll have to show me where all these pissed off miles fans are because other than people wishing him good luck at his new job he hasn’t been mentioned on this board as people wanting him back and hoiberg gone.  And I don’t see how giving your coach one last season with his guys to show something and said coach underachieves and is canned is a crappy way of going about it.  It would have been far more crappy if he came in and fired him right away and guys transferred and we had some random coach instead of the guy everyone wanted.  That part makes zero sense to me, I’m sorry.  He handled it as professionally as any other AD would have and I don’t think many would have even given miles the cushion that he got.  

Here's a list of candidates that Sam Mckewon has.

Trev Alberts: UNO AD

Hank Bounds: Former Pres of UNL

Tim Clare: UN regent

John Cook: VB coach

John Cunningham: Cincinnati AD

Matt Davison: Nebr Associate AD for football

Turner Gill: executive VP of diversity, development and inclusion Liberty University

Beth Goetz: Ball State AD

Jon Johnson: Nebr. senior deputy AD

Garrett Klassy: Nebr. senior deputy AD

Jamie Pollard: ISU AD

Ed Stewart: Big 12 executive associate commissioner

7 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

You’ll have to show me where all these pissed off miles fans are because other than people wishing him good luck at his new job he hasn’t been mentioned on this board as people wanting him back and hoiberg gone.  And I don’t see how giving your coach one last season with his guys to show something and said coach underachieves and is canned is a crappy way of going about it.  It would have been far more crappy if he came in and fired him right away and guys transferred and we had some random coach instead of the guy everyone wanted.  That part makes zero sense to me, I’m sorry.  He handled it as professionally as any other AD would have and I don’t think many would have even given miles the cushion that he got.  

One doesn't have to want Miles  here over Hoiberg to believe he got a raw deal from the last two AD's. 

One can also beileve Miles probably had hit his ceiling here even if he had not got a raw deal from the last 2 AD's.

8 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

One doesn't have to want Miles  here over Hoiberg to believe he got a raw deal from the last two AD's. 

One can also beileve Miles probably had hit his ceiling here even if he had not got a raw deal from the last 2 AD's.

And all I’be said is I don’t understand how moos gave him a raw deal and I can’t seem to get a straight answer.  I’ve posted why I thought he got a fair shake and I asked what would people have rather happened and I’m just waiting for a response.  I’m not being argumentative, I’m not saying people are dumb or wrong for thinking he got a raw deal, I’m just asking for a viewpoint and explanation.  I personally think giving a guy one more year to make a splash with a good core coming back is a fair shake, I don’t think if Miles makes the tourney or wins either the regular season or tournament championship he is gone and I don’t know what would have happened because outside of hoiberg there were some mid-major guys that a lot of people were to thrilled by.  

Edited by Keenan9595

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I see you have strong opinions on Matt Davison. Care to expand on why?

I don’t disagree with you, FTR, just curious on your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What has Davison done to earn it?  The optics of promoting a guy with almost zero experience would be awful.  He only has the job he has now because he's best friends with Frost.  If he becomes AD it's a gross example of nepotism.  Plus, what an enormous burden and conflict of interest if he has to fire his friend or choose not to renew/extend his contract.

Trev may not be a bad option, but there is still a bit of a stink he carries for the way he handled the murder of Omaha's football and wrestling programs.

1 minute ago, Keenan9595 said:

And all I’be said is I don’t understand how moos gave him a raw deal amd I can’t seem to get a straight answer.  I’ve posted why I thought he got a fair shake and I asked what would people have rather happened and I’m just waiting for a response.  I’m not being argumentative, I’m not saying people are dumb or wrong for thinking he got a raw deal, I’m just asking for a viewpoint and explanation.  I personally think giving a guy one more year to make a splash with a good core coming back is a fair shake, I don’t think if Mike’s makes the tourney or wins either the regular season or tournament championship he is gone and I don’t know what would have happened because outside of hoiberg there were some mid-major guys that a lot of people were to thrilled by.  

No worries. I don't think Moos "gave" him another year so much as he used him as a placeholder while he got the football side in order. 

Thats my take anyway. 

7 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

No worries. I don't think Moos "gave" him another year so much as he used him as a placeholder while he got the football side in order. 

Thats my take anyway. 

Okay, that makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying.  How I perceived it was you got a good group back, it looks like you have some young talent next year, show me why you should stay and back up the notion that we’ve turned a corner.  I do agree that football had to come first, because I don’t even think we’re having this conversation if he doesn’t get frost.  At the time he was the number 1 thing the fan base wanted and the pitchforks would have been out in droves if that deal doesn’t get done.  IMO

38 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Here's a list of candidates that Sam Mckewon has.

Trev Alberts: UNO AD

Hank Bounds: Former Pres of UNL

Tim Clare: UN regent

John Cook: VB coach

John Cunningham: Cincinnati AD

Matt Davison: Nebr Associate AD for football

Turner Gill: executive VP of diversity, development and inclusion Liberty University

Beth Goetz: Ball State AD

Jon Johnson: Nebr. senior deputy AD

Garrett Klassy: Nebr. senior deputy AD

Jamie Pollard: ISU AD

Ed Stewart: Big 12 executive associate commissioner

So you can go ahead and cross every one of these people off your list. 😁

12 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

Okay, that makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying.  How I perceived it was you got a good group back, it looks like you have some young talent next year, show me why you should stay and back up the notion that we’ve turned a corner.  I do agree that football had to come first, because I don’t even think we’re having this conversation if he doesn’t get frost.  At the time he was the number 1 thing the fan base wanted and the pitchforks would have been out in droves if that deal doesn’t get done.  IMO

For what it's worth this is how I interpreted it too. in '17-'18 Miles had a good year, but based on schedule strength we missed out on the Dance.  He returned the key pieces in '18-'19 and had a chance to prove that he'd turned the proverbial corner.  Fast forward a season and the corner was not turned, the whole roster was set to turnover regardless of who would coach the next season, and recruiting had fallen off in the past couple years.  Seems like a pretty obvious decision for a new AD who was not emotionally invested in Miles since he wasn't the one to hire him.

Edited by aphilso1

4 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

the whole roster was set to turnover regardless of who would coach the next season, and recruiting had fallen off in the past couple years.

But that was 100% on Eichorst failing to extend Miles in 2017 when he really needed to either do that, or move on.  It was a chicken**** move and ultimately ended up leaving Miles hanging out to dry.  Then 2018 happened and the whole situation was just compounded.  I'm bitter about it, but much less so than I would be if we hadn't replaced Tim with Fred.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Frost/Hoiberg/Bolt with their Nebraska ties would’ve come here regardless of the AD

You might be right.  However, do you really think if Shawn Eichorst had been given carte blanche instead of being fired he would he have landed any of these guys? SE is hiring Herb Sendek or some other 60 year old who once made a Sweet 16 because he doesn't think he can get the money to hire Hoiberg.  Spending money, right or wrong, hasn't ever been an obstacle for Moos.

26 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

You might be right.  However, do you really think if Shawn Eichorst had been given carte blanche instead of being fired he would he have landed any of these guys? SE is hiring Herb Sendek or some other 60 year old who once made a Sweet 16 because he doesn't think he can get the money to hire Hoiberg.  Spending money, right or wrong, hasn't ever been an obstacle for Moos.

Can't upvote this enough - pulling in hires like this isn't as easy as some think. If it's still Eichorst or ::shudder:: the Peder, none of those guys are coming here. And Osborne, who sometimes gets quite a bit of unfair hindsight criticism for his hires, was not spending the money to bring in Hoiberg.

I just hope we don't continue our recent pattern > unmitigated disaster at AD / solid AD / unmitigated disaster at AD / solid AD / ???

And before some Omaha9999999999 poster brings it up, no, we would not be 'lucky' if Bruce Rasmussen was interested. 😁 

36 minutes ago, 49r said:

But that was 100% on Eichorst failing to extend Miles in 2017 when he really needed to either do that, or move on.  It was a chicken**** move and ultimately ended up leaving Miles hanging out to dry.  Then 2018 happened and the whole situation was just compounded.  I'm bitter about it, but much less so than I would be if we hadn't replaced Tim with Fred.

Still gonna disagree with you there.  2017 was supposed to be a Dance or get fired season.  But then the conference unexpectedly ends up being historically weak, so even though Miles has a solid record he doesn't even get close to making the Tournament.  Do you fire a coach after posting such a good record? No.  Do you extend a coach for failing to meet the standard that was set? Also no.  So while you see Moos standing pat as a "chicken**** move" I see it as the only logical course of action.

6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Still gonna disagree with you there.  2017 was supposed to be a Dance or get fired season.  But then the conference unexpectedly ends up being historically weak, so even though Miles has a solid record he doesn't even get close to making the Tournament.  Do you fire a coach after posting such a good record? No.  Do you extend a coach for failing to meet the standard that was set? Also no.  So while you see Moos standing pat as a "chicken**** move" I see it as the only logical course of action.

I thought he meant it was a chickenshit move by Eichorst. 

7 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

No.  2017 was the year *before* the season you are thinking of.  We went 12-19 (6-12) in 2017.  The time to do something about Miles was after that season.  But Eichorst chickened out and did nothing.  Then he got fired and left Moos to clean up a lot of ugly messes.  If Eichorst had done the right thing, either fire Miles or extend him, we're probably looking at a different trajectory in the Miles tenure. 

Can someone remind me of the deets about that time Fred Hoiberg's ISU hoops team had to sleep in a hotel lobby because the ISU AD at the time (Jamie Pollard) went all chintzy on him and wouldn't spring for an extra night stay? Was that at, like, the Big 12 tourney? And the extra night was needed because Fred's team won? Something like that. But my memory on it is hazy. I just suspect that not all of our current head coaches would be on board with hiring Pollard to replace Moos.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Frost has hinted that he would not have come to Nebraska if the previous AD were still here. He had plenty of other options. I don’t think Hoiberg would be here either.