Jump to content

Moos is Out?


jsthusker
 Share

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Can someone remind me of the deets about that time Fred Hoiberg's ISU hoops team had to sleep in a hotel lobby because the ISU AD at the time (Jamie Pollard) went all chintzy on him and wouldn't spring for an extra night stay? Was that at, like, the Big 12 tourney? And the extra night was needed because Fred's team won? Something like that. But my memory on it is hazy. I just suspect that not all of our current head coaches would be on board with hiring Pollard to replace Moos.

 

I was reading cyclonefanatic.com this morning and they were saying it was an early season MTE like in the Caribbean or something.  Suffice it to say Hoiberg would probably not be on board with bringing Pollard in as our AD, but the point is moot anyway because Jamie Pollard has been on the record as saying a lot of not so kind stuff about Nebraska and Lincoln in general.  He's not going anywhere and certainly not to Lincoln.

 

Also, as an aside, it's startling just how much discussion there is on that board about all things Huskers and the amount of just absolute, vile hate they have for us.  So weird.  I've always kind of had a soft spot for ISU and rooted for them in general when not playing against us, but it's clear the feelings are NOT mutual in that fan base.  Oh well, I suppose if I had to live in that state I'd develop a bad attitude too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 49r said:

 

No.  2017 was the year *before* the season you are thinking of.  We went 12-19 (6-12) in 2017.  The time to do something about Miles was after that season.  But Eichorst chickened out and did nothing.  Then he got fired and left Moos to clean up a lot of ugly messes.  If Eichorst had done the right thing, either fire Miles or extend him, we're probably looking at a different trajectory in the Miles tenure. 

 

oh gotcha.  yeah, Eichorst sucked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

 

You might be right.  However, do you really think if Shawn Eichorst had been given carte blanche instead of being fired he would he have landed any of these guys? SE is hiring Herb Sendek or some other 60 year old who once made a Sweet 16 because he doesn't think he can get the money to hire Hoiberg.  Spending money, right or wrong, hasn't ever been an obstacle for Moos.

Moos was going to replace Miles the minute he walked on Campus regardless of the season he had & Tim knew it. Osborne got Frost here, Fred found a soft landing after his Bulls gig & Boldt couldn’t say no to his Alma Mater. I never cared for Eichorst, too much of a “bean counter” for me, but I believe Moos benefitted from a confluence of good fortune more than anything else. I for one am glad he’s gone & I believe we can do better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 49r said:

 

I was reading cyclonefanatic.com this morning and they were saying it was an early season MTE like in the Caribbean or something.  Suffice it to say Hoiberg would probably not be on board with bringing Pollard in as our AD, but the point is moot anyway because Jamie Pollard has been on the record as saying a lot of not so kind stuff about Nebraska and Lincoln in general.  He's not going anywhere and certainly not to Lincoln.

 

Also, as an aside, it's startling just how much discussion there is on that board about all things Huskers and the amount of just absolute, vile hate they have for us.  So weird.  I've always kind of had a soft spot for ISU and rooted for them in general when not playing against us, but it's clear the feelings are NOT mutual in that fan base.  Oh well, I suppose if I had to live in that state I'd develop a bad attitude too.

 

I forget where I saw the pic of Hoiberg with Pollards daughter who goes to UNL but Fred tweeted it to him so I question how much they really dont like eachother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LK1 said:

We're going to look back on Moos' tenure and find it enormously successful, methinks.  


Only if Frost turns around the football program which looks like a serious pipe dream at this point. 
 

If Pollard is hired I can’t imagine Frost will be feeling all warm and fuzzy about his future. If Stewart is hired he may have a longer leash moving forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2021 at 10:55 AM, jimmykc said:

Seems to me that the future AD will pretty much have a situation teed up for success. We can only hope that he or she will be evaluated solely on competence and that all other irrelevant considerations such as "wokeness",race, sexual orientation or ethnicity will play no role in the choice. 

What if representation, or “wokeness” as you refer, is what the student athletes who actually put in the work and play the games are begging for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, Omaha415 said:

 

What has Davison done to earn it?  The optics of promoting a guy with almost zero experience would be awful.  He only has the job he has now because he's best friends with Frost.  If he becomes AD it's a gross example of nepotism.  Plus, what an enormous burden and conflict of interest if he has to fire his friend or choose not to renew/extend his contract.

 

Trev may not be a bad option, but there is still a bit of a stink he carries for the way he handled the murder of Omaha's football and wrestling programs.

Gag me with a butter knife if Davison or Alberts get this job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

What if representation, or “wokeness” as you refer, is what the student athletes who actually put in the work and play the games are begging for?

 

I'm looking around at the winning percentage of our cash cow and wondering why on earth we'd want to keep the status quo on a hire.  I'd hire Grant Gibbs if that meant 10 wins in football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Oof, thats a low bar.

I mean, maybe, but he's been there for a long time now and, from everything I hear, the department was in rough shape when he took over, he had to make some super tough decisions that were very unpopular, but probably saved the department and made the successful transition to D1. Again, perhaps my info is way off, but it seems to me he's done a really good job. Doesn't make him the man for the job, but I do think he'd do a pretty good job if it came to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

I mean, maybe, but he's been there for a long time now and, from everything I hear, the department was in rough shape when he took over, he had to make some super tough decisions that were very unpopular, but probably saved the department and made the successful transition to D1. Again, perhaps my info is way off, but it seems to me he's done a really good job. Doesn't make him the man for the job, but I do think he'd do a pretty good job if it came to it.


I would like Trev actually

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

What if representation, or “wokeness” as you refer, is what the student athletes who actually put in the work and play the games are begging for?

Non-sequitur.

 

"Representation" and "wokeness" aren't synonymous. And it doesn't necessarily follow that someone who is "woke" will belong to a group that enhances "representation" in any meaningful way.

 

Let's say they hired Steve Kerr to be the next AD. Just supposing. Woke? Oh, for sure. Representative? You want to explain that one to me?

 

Do you think players care more about the political views of the AD? Or that the AD will put them in the best position to be successful?

 

I would love to see them hire Ron Brown as the next AD just to watch you twist yourself into a pretzel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...