Creighton Basketball - what a bunch of cheaters

kldm64

39 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Nebraska's first *actual* practice, the year they had their first NCAA tournament appearance, was at Mabel Lee Hall, and they taped up the windows so no one could see into the gym because Moe was breaking NCAA rules by conducting a practice earlier than the rules allowed. And some intrepid, young reporter from the Daily Nebraskan got wind of it and ratted out the team.

Seems quaint now compared to the unethical practices (pun intended) we’ve come to expect. It’s funny how all the Blue Blood Creighton alums now want to play the “everybody does it” card...like it’s no big deal.

On 6/22/2021 at 12:43 PM, Handy Johnson said:

I’ve lived on 24th & Leavenworth, also 39th & Dodge. Spent plenty of time in the Big “O”...

I'm guessing you lived at 39th and Dodge prior to the Blackstone District revitalization?  Really not a bad spot anymore.

40 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Yes and offered his dad a job.  Can't believe they didn't get a post season ban.

Serious question that I'm sure will get me flamed by the fervent Creighton haters - what exactly did they do here that was really cheating?  If you want to talk about the alleged offer to Bowen's dad that is a different story if true.  But that isn't what they are getting wrist-slapped for to my understanding.  Seems like some folks haven't really read more than the headlines and are calling for post-season bans for something so comical it's straight out of a sitcom.

From what I gather, their asst. coach pretended to take $6000 from an agent to steer (fictional) CU players to this agent.  The agent happened to be his childhood friend I guess, and he did it to make this guy seem like a legitimate player in the industry.  Then the asst. coach gave the money back.  Asst. told McDermott, McDermott told the AD, and the AD sat on it.  Seems like an idiotic prank in poor taste considering the reputation risk associated with this decision...but nothing that gives them any sort of competitive advantage or could be construed as "cheating."  The biggest infraction IMO was their AD not notifying the compliance dept.  I'm sure that's what pissed off the NCAA and led to this.

The NCAA is the one of the most hypocritical institution institutions in athletics.  Jerry Tarkanian once said "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation."  Creighton isn't exactly the little guy anymore, but this comes off as flexing by the NCAA after they got shut down the the Supreme Court.  And they need to pin something on someone because they haven't exactly gone after more serious offenses from bluebloods like Kansas -- they know where their bread is buttered.

22 minutes ago, Omaha415 said:

Serious question that I'm sure will get me flamed by the fervent Creighton haters - what exactly did they do here that was really cheating?  If you want to talk about the alleged offer to Bowen's dad that is a different story if true.  But that isn't what they are getting wrist-slapped for to my understanding.  Seems like some folks haven't really read more than the headlines and are calling for post-season bans for something so comical it's straight out of a sitcom.

From what I gather, their asst. coach pretended to take $6000 from an agent to steer (fictional) CU players to this agent.  The agent happened to be his childhood friend I guess, and he did it to make this guy seem like a legitimate player in the industry.  Then the asst. coach gave the money back.  Asst. told McDermott, McDermott told the AD, and the AD sat on it.  Seems like an idiotic prank in poor taste considering the reputation risk associated with this decision...but nothing that gives them any sort of competitive advantage or could be construed as "cheating."  The biggest infraction IMO was their AD not notifying the compliance dept.  I'm sure that's what pissed off the NCAA and led to this.

The NCAA is the one of the most hypocritical institution institutions in athletics.  Jerry Tarkanian once said "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation."  Creighton isn't exactly the little guy anymore, but this comes off as flexing by the NCAA after they got shut down the the Supreme Court.  And they need to pin something on someone because they haven't exactly gone after more serious offenses from bluebloods like Kansas -- they know where their bread is buttered.

You tend to have a knack about posting on topics that involve Creighton on a Husker message board.  Jaysker or just Jay?

54 minutes ago, Omaha415 said:

You're insinuating that Kansas is guilty of recruiting violations.  Can you prove that? You cannot and to this point the NCAA has not or else they would. If we're talking hypocritical, it would be saying that you deem one school that hasn't been hit with specific recruiting violation guilty and one is innocent. Pick a lane.

1 hour ago, Omaha415 said:

It's definitely a recruiting violation and hence the wrist slap sanctions, but they definitely didn't receive any type of competitive advantage from what they were doing because, like you said, the assistant coach was faking taking money in exchange for fake players to help the agent out and give him some clout. It was very dumb and Creighton deserves the sanctions they got (most self imposed in the first place) but you're correct it's not like they're paying all these dudes like Will Wade and Sean Miller openly are/were. It makes for a great t-shirt in Lincoln tho haha. Reality is, no Creighton fan here in Omaha actually cares about any of this.

3 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

It's definitely a recruiting violation and hence the wrist slap sanctions, but they definitely didn't receive any type of competitive advantage from what they were doing because, like you said, the assistant coach was faking taking money in exchange for fake players to help the agent out and give him some clout. It was very dumb and Creighton deserves the sanctions they got (most self imposed in the first place) but you're correct it's not like they're paying all these dudes like Will Wade and Sean Miller openly are/were. It makes for a great t-shirt in Lincoln tho haha. Reality is, no Creighton fan here in Omaha actually cares about any of this.

Goes with the whole "fake university" motif they have going in North O.

4 hours ago, royalfan said:

You tend to have a knack about posting on topics that involve Creighton on a Husker message board.  Jaysker or just Jay?

Mavjaysker.  I'm a UN-Omaha grad that just happens to follow all teams and lurk on all message boards.  I don't have a lot of posts on any of them.  I think most of my  single-digit posts here were about some of the ridiculous takes a few people had about Hunter Sallis.  Not trying to stir up trouble, but sometimes I feel compelled to post on some things I don't agree with.  Do the same on the Creighton board also.  Unfortunately, online discussion about the Mavs is pretty non-existent.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

You're insinuating that Kansas is guilty of recruiting violations.  Can you prove that? You cannot and to this point the NCAA has not or else they would. If we're talking hypocritical, it would be saying that you deem one school that hasn't been hit with specific recruiting violation guilty and one is innocent. Pick a lane.

Ok, LSU and Will Wade.  North Carolina.  Pick any number of examples.  I just threw out Kansas because they are "accused" of recruiting violations and have been in the news recently.   https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/it-may-not-have-been-intentional-but-kansas-giving-bill-self-a-lifetime-contract-sends-a-message-to-ncaa/.  Maybe it's semantics, but Kansas has been charged with five Level I violations.  There has been no ruling or determination yet.  So you are correct, nothing proven;  the same way there is nothing proven that Creighton offered Bowen's dad any money.  That's not stopping others here from treating it as fact.

I know reading comprehension is hard for some, or perhaps my ability to articulate my thoughts is awful, but I didn't say CU was "innocent."  The main thrust of my statement was that while they are being punished, the violation in question was sort of comical and and not "cheating," per se.  If you read the topic of this thread, it was accusing Creighton of cheating.  However, I concede that my POV is somewhat narrow - I'm defining cheating as competitive advantage, you are defining it as violation of a written rule or bylaw.  Not worth unpacking whether or not the NCAA's rules are all logical.  The same way that it was comical how the Nebraska football team was in violation of NCAA rules for providing impermissible benefits relating to textbooks several years ago.  Both "violations," and "cheating," if judging by the letter of the law but both insignificant in that there is no athletic impact or advantage.

The second point I was trying to make was referenced above.  Many people are conflating the Preston Murphy situation with the Brian Bowen situation.  The former is what CU is being punished for, not the latter.  I get the rivalry/hatred aspect of this on a NU message board.   I guessed I'm triggered by seeing similar uninformed takes on the cesspool that is Twitter.

Nebraska fans are insinuating that Creighton is guilty of recruiting violations in regards to Brian Bowen.   Can you prove that?  You cannot and to this point the NCAA has not or else they would.  Thank you very much for the advice as to which lane to pick though.  I'll pick the lane in which I stay consistent in my outrage.

1 hour ago, Omaha415 said:

Mavjaysker.  I'm a UN-Omaha grad that just happens to follow all teams and lurk on all message boards.  I don't have a lot of posts on any of them.  I think most of my  single-digit posts here were about some of the ridiculous takes a few people had about Hunter Sallis.  Not trying to stir up trouble, but sometimes I feel compelled to post on some things I don't agree with.  Do the same on the Creighton board also.  Unfortunately, online discussion about the Mavs is pretty non-existent.

I knew you were a public university grad. You're way too good with your punctuation to be a CUer. Now, if you really want to impress, your next post will include proper use of a semicolon.

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

I knew you were a public university grad. You're way too good with your punctuation to be a CUer. Now, if you really want to impress, your next post will include proper use of a semicolon.

Semicolon use is overrated; alternate forms of punctuation can be equally effective.

55 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:
3 hours ago, jayschool said:

Semicolon use is overrated; alternate forms of punctuation can be equally effective.

giphy.webp?cid=82a1493bbn1fjc8k70ity9jy8

1 hour ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

Slap 'em with a REAL string of penalties, ncaa. FFS, actually do your job for once, this weak self imposed bs has me hot. Just death penalty some of these cheaters.

instead of scholarship restrictions, limiting visits, etc the NCAA should make them hire Mike Riley as head coach. Or at least, Rick Johnson.

5 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

instead of scholarship restrictions, limiting visits, etc the NCAA should make them hire Mike Riley as head coach. Or at least, Rick Johnson.

Creighton already had Mike Riley as their football coach. 

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

TCU gets 3 years of probation for one of their assistants for that thing where an undercover FBI agent gives you $6000 to steer players to an agent and then you tell people you gave the money back afterwards.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article252446923.html

A three year probation that involves no scholarship loss and no postseason ban.  Like the only two things that are punitive.

To me the whole fbi sting is stupid.  Steering players to agents has nothing to do with programs doing unethical things to gain a competitive advantage.  It is just about slimy assistants trying to make some side cash off of agents.   I am way more concerned about bag men paying kids to attend certain schools.