2021 Practice has started

redsteve

3 hours ago, HUD said:

A lot of questions about who is going to play will be answered at the VB Red/White scrimmage this Sat. night  starting at 6:00 P.M.

I plan to be there but besides the radio it is on BTN Plus.

Been waiting for this all summer. Can't be there in person, but will have BTN+ fired up and all ready to go. 

This is a whole new team for the most part. Hope to get a feel of how high can we rise this season. Sure seems like the new ingredients

are there for a much improved team. GBR !

On 8/17/2021 at 7:12 AM, whoopdeedoo said:

i check out Volley Talk every now and then. hardly hear a peep about K. Meyer. lots of chatter about everyone else....even the freshman. with all the talent on the roster, wonder if a switch has crossed her mind? there was a mention in one post that she misses track/field and may go that direction. would be interesting if she decided to give wbb a shot (no pun intended). idk, maybe she is progressing at vb. 

With the recent hire of a new throws coach at UNL, Meyer would be crazy not to give track and field a try.  JMO

I went to the VB scrimmage last night.  Freshmen looked great.  As for Kaylyn Meyer let's just say she won't be playing WBB anytime soon.  She is developing into a strong middle blocker.  Most of the middles are upperclassmen so as a freshmen she has plenty of time.  She looked physically imposing out there.  

Meyer could be said to be a "legacy" recruit. Family history at NU, and one of the best Nebraska girl athletes in state history.  National level discus thrower. She was destined to be at NU. And like HUD said she looks the part pf a high level track athlete. Imposing figure pretty much says it. Look very strong and developed.

Her skills as a youth wasn't honed to play volleyball, rather the family's discus roots. She may well develop into a strong middle blocker.......bigger and taller than I recall. Had some nice blocks in the scrimmage.

No idea if there is any gentleman's agreement for her to pursue track. Who knows ...maybe she chose to play volleyball rather than throw. 

Anyway.....wow.....the freshmen are very very good. Will be a stronger volleyball team show up first game. Some look like they can definitely play competitively now.

Edited by redsteve

7 hours ago, HUD said:

I went to the VB scrimmage last night.  Freshmen looked great.  As for Kaylyn Meyer let's just say she won't be playing WBB anytime soon.  She is developing into a strong middle blocker.  Most of the middles are upperclassmen so as a freshmen she has plenty of time.  She looked physically imposing out there.  

i watched the vb scrimmage. Meyer is such a physical specimen. she is doing fine on the vb squad. however, i wonder how much playing time she sees (barring injury bug)---at least this season. could very well it takes her till her junior/senior year to develop. i just wondered what kind of beast she might have been around the basket. all that said, really would like to see her turn into a beast on the vb court!

(watching husker soccer---and i am not much of a soccer fan---taking it to Missouri!!! 5-0 2nd half)

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 2 weeks later...