(NIL) Name - Image - Likeness

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I remember the supreme court had ruled in favor of the athletes. What I did not remember was the decision was 9-0 😳 Considering how divided the courts have been and the multitude of 5‐4 decisions I find this somewhat amazing. 

3 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I remember the supreme court had ruled in favor of the athletes. What I did not remember was the decision was 9-0 😳 Considering how divided the courts have been and the multitude of 5‐4 decisions I find this somewhat amazing. 

The majority of Supreme Court cases are unanimous, 8-1, or 7-2.  The ones that are split along ideological lines just get the most press attention.  

Edited by aphilso1

11 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

😂 Me too. Its was surprisingly harder to find the votes on the decisions without having to read the opinions or going through each docket than I suspected it would be. After about 20 mins this was the best I could find.

What you'll find if you read the dissenting opinions of the "All other rulings" category, is that often the dissenting opinion doesn't actually disagree with the main crux of the case.  They disagree with a minor aspect, or disagree with how narrow or broad the ruling should be (i.e. should this case set precedent for other similar cases), or sometimes just want to have their thought process documented for posterity.  If they literally had to check a box of yay or nay with no ability to explain their rationale, I think you'd see over 50% unanimous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Every time I see "N.I.L" it seems to conjure up the word 'nil' because of the opposite impact on "playing for the sake of playing." Amateur model in the USA has basically been eliminated, generally speaking, and it was erased decades ago in the Olympic model; and, so, now, it's essentially "all gone" at the college level, except for the non-scholarship level and other forms of sport being competed at simply "for the love of the game." Not that I can't see the value of Name-Image-Likeness coming into play for the highest level athletes today, but it just kind of has slowly ruined a lot of things I appreciated and/or loved, since I was a guy who played collegiately for the love of the sport and for my coaches and the camaraderie with my fellow teammates. Fortunately Nebraska football appears to have a leader and an AD who understood that the NU program needs guys who truly love to play/compete, and the same idea seems to have permeated to a lot of the sports at Dear Old Nebraska U.

Edited by AuroranHusker

• 3 weeks later...

All this has done is further separated the blue-bloods. It has also been a boon for athletes with a social media presence.

There is a D2 wrestler that I follow at Wisconsin Parkside named 

Cayden Henschel. He has a decent following on YouTube. His content is all about his wrestling which has raised the profile of Wisconsin Parkside. Because of NIL he can monitize his videos with sponsorships. He’s in the process of creating his own line of wrestling shoe. He’s worth of follow.