(NIL) Name - Image - Likeness

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Is NIL going to allow students to make money off of selling their basketball jerseys, shoes, and gear to the general public? Because Adidas does a horrible job with the Nebrasketball offerings to the public; they're more generic than a high school merch shop.

Asking for a friend.

I think the way it's got to work is the University would have to pay the athlete a licensing fee to use their name on jerseys they then sell to the general public.  But not sure if the NCAA would allow that or not.

• 9 months later...
9 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

That could be a good thing for the game. If it keeps some of the good players around longer, the better the product should be

That's a good point, I hope you're right. NIL's effect on transfers is probably the bigger issue. One good scenario would be a player who stays at a school because he's a local favorite and can get good NIL money. The other scenario is that despite that, Kentucky offers $2 million more and a Lamborghini. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That's a good point, I hope you're right. NIL's effect on transfers is probably the bigger issue. One good scenario would be a player who stays at a school because he's a local favorite and can get good NIL money. The other scenario is that despite that, Kentucky offers $2 million more and a Lamborghini. 

I think NIL is going to be the end of college sports as we used to know it.  I think your "other" scenario is more likely as players aren't going to go to their favorite schools anymore as they will just go to the highest bidder.  This will especially be hard for old school NU football fans that still have the mentality that kids in Nebraska grow up wanting to play for their home state.  While that is probably still true, once a school offers them a better NIL deal, they will go where the money is.  And we are just at the beginning of NIL.  Image what things will be like in a few years when college kids are making more that professional players.  I just have a bad feeling, things are going to get out of control really quickly.  

15 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I think NIL is going to be the end of college sports as we used to know it.  I think your "other" scenario is more likely as players aren't going to go to their favorite schools anymore as they will just go to the highest bidder.  This will especially be hard for old school NU football fans that still have the mentality that kids in Nebraska grow up wanting to play for their home state.  While that is probably still true, once a school offers them a better NIL deal, they will go where the money is.  And we are just at the beginning of NIL.  Image what things will be like in a few years when college kids are making more that professional players.  I just have a bad feeling, things are going to get out of control really quickly.  

I'm waiting for the day when the fans in the stands can take advantage of NIL. lol...we all bring our trading cards to the games and swap cards. 

22 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Yeah, it might. But also, the way the system is set up now is not necessarily how it will always be. There will be adjustments made over time that will stabilize the systems. Right now, we're seeing the ripples from the boulder that got thrown in the lake. 

16 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Yeah, it might. But also, the way the system is set up now is not necessarily how it will always be. There will be adjustments made over time that will stabilize the systems. Right now, we're seeing the ripples from the boulder that got thrown in the lake. 

Good point and hope you are correct.

I look at this through a slightly different lens as well.  With large amounts of money comes significantly higher expectations.   And those expectations come from coaches, teammates, spirited fans, fanatics and "others."

Others such as gamblers and under world types have lurked around both college and professional sports forever.  Money can corrupt.   

Many of these 18 - 22 year olds know right from wrong; but others struggle with the distinction.  Handlers, agents and posse's also figure into the mix.  When you see strange things on and off the court, ethics may now have to be taken into consideration. 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I look at this through a slightly different lens as well.  With large amounts of money comes significantly higher expectations.   And those expectations come from coaches, teammates, spirited fans, fanatics and "others."

Others such as gamblers and under world types have lurked around both college and professional sports forever.  Money can corrupt.   

Many of these 18 - 22 year olds know right from wrong; but others struggle with the distinction.  Handlers, agents and posse's also figure into the mix.  When you see strange things on and off the court, ethics may now have to be taken into consideration. 

BTW I was at the Arrowhead stop on this tour back in 1994 (first and only stadium show I have ever attended)

The only answer to this is the P5 schools (and anyone else that can "show-cause" to financially operate at the P5 level per sport, i.e., Gonzaga in basketball) will have to branch off, and there will have to be a collective bargaining agreement between some sort of players union and the new "league" that is formed. 

You'll get new agreements between players and the league as far as transfer rules and guidelines, contract stipulations, and probably some sort of salary cap.

But I think the NCAA knows their days are numbered, and they have simply washed their hands of this. 

Edited by basketballjones

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I think that ship has sailed. The powers that be had one chance to get this right. They didn't. Pandoras box is now open. Any way that is tried to reign this in now will be met with lawsuits and litigation. And I suspect ultimately lose in the court of law. This is college sports now for good and (my opinion) mostly bad.

18 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I think that ship has sailed. The powers that be had one chance to get this right. They didn't. Pandoras box is now open. Any way that is tried to reign this in now will be met with lawsuits and litigation. And I suspect ultimately lose in the court of law. This is college sports now for good and (my opinion) mostly bad.

Nah, they can and will make adjustments. Systems like get adjusted, even big ones, all the time. It'll evolve, the market will adjust, rinse, repeat. If those paying out the money don't get the return they're hoping for, they'll stop spending big. If players stop getting the big money, they'll consider their options. It'll sort itself out.

Edited by uneblinstu

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Nah, they can and will make adjustments. Systems like get adjusted, even big ones, all the time. It'll evolve, the market will adjust, rinse, repeat. If those paying out the money don't get the return they're hoping for, they'll stop spending big. If players stop getting the big money, they'll consider their options. It'll sort itself out.

Thats naive at best. If limits are put in place any one of the thousands of college athletes can claim damages. And the courts have already ruled in favors of these athletes. 

Private entities can most certainly choose to spend less money on certain athletes/programs. But I think what you are suggesting is silly.

The next BIG TV contract is suspected to over a billion dollars. There is more money in college sports than ever before. Universities and boosters want wins. They have money to spend and now they can buy athletes. This isn't "working" itself out.

3 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

But it will sort itself out eventually. There's too much money involved and too many people's livelihoods tied up in this (players, support staff, coaches, administration, etc...). Not to mention the secondary economic activity created by these sports. 

Here's a post, from a Kentucky message board, on an NIL reason why Scheierman will probably not end up at Kentucky (question: does Nebraska allow NIL deals like Miami's):

“I went to Duke's 247 board. The reason Duke is moving on would actually be a reason UK might not be able to work as well. His agent is the same guy as Nigel Pack, who just signed with Miami with a very specific kind of NIL deal that UK is not doing and Barnhart is not yet allowing (using a "collective" of rich guys basically endorsing and giving money like a contract). Duke, according to Rowe, is more giving guys a platform as a Duke player to go get paid by securing advertising opportunities. UK is doing similar.”

6 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

But it will sort itself out eventually. There's too much money involved and too many people's livelihoods tied up in this (players, support staff, coaches, administration, etc...). Not to mention the secondary economic activity created by these sports. 

The only way I see that this "sorts" itself out is some version of what you suggested above. 

Any limitations put in place by the NCAA or Universities to reign this in will lose in court. Theres a reason they did this in the first place and its not because they are on the right side of the law.

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Thats naive at best. If limits are put in place any one of the thousands of college athletes can claim damages. And the courts have already ruled in favors of these athletes. 

Private entities can most certainly choose to spend less money on certain athletes/programs. But I think what you are suggesting is silly.

The next BIG TV contract is suspected to over a billion dollars. There is more money in college sports than ever before. Universities and boosters want wins. They have money to spend and now they can buy athletes. This isn't "working" itself out.

Of course it is. The NCAA is already making adjustments. With Emmert stepping aside, they've already said they're looking at making sweeping changes. One way this could work itself out is that the schools get to pay players and you get the big boys splitting off and those left behind adopt a more similar model to what people are familiar with in college athletics. Whether it's the NCAA, Universities, collectives or the athletes, this thing will change and evolve constantly over time. Now it's be come business, which means it will be a two way street. Those making the payments will be employers, that comes with rules and regulations. There will be breeches of contract and lessons learned the hard way, probably on both sides.

2 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I feel like we're kind of in a semantics argument here... I certainly don't believe this process of sorting itself out or working itself out will be pretty. I am just saying that it will turn into something else and much more structured eventually. But you are right, it won't just "market correct," on its own, if you will. It'll be an ugly thing with courts, new leagues, etc... 

35 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I feel like we're kind of in a semantics argument here... I certainly don't believe this process of sorting itself out or working itself out will be pretty. I am just saying that it will turn into something else and much more structured eventually. But you are right, it won't just "market correct," on its own, if you will. It'll be an ugly thing with courts, new leagues, etc... 

Maybe. I guess it all depends on what is meant by "eventually". Is this 10, 20, or 30 years from now. I have a hard time believing you are going to get all parties involved in this to agree on a course correction before the damage is done. And by that time the damage has been done. 

2 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Maybe. I guess it all depends on what is meant by "eventually". Is this 10, 20, or 30 years from now. I have a hard time believing you are going to get all parties involved in this to agree on a course correction before the damage is done. And by that time the damage has been done. 

I just have to think it's going to happen sooner rather than later. I think there's a lot of higher-ups and powerful people that are already super annoyed with this. Part of me is excited, part of me knows we can't get anything right from a "political" perspective anymore so it will probably be an unmitigated disaster!