(NIL) Name - Image - Likeness

24 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Serious question:  Anybody know how illegal pot dealers are doing in Colorado? Has legalizing marijuana curtailed the street dealers? Is that even something we can find out?

I suspect the effect on illegal recruiting (in terms of bag men and payments under the table) might be affected similarly. I could be very wrong, though. It happens a lot.

I think a better comparison is taxes.

People find loopholes and tax havens to get around paying taxes. With NIL, sure, a lot of this will come out in the open. But that's not going to stop some recruiters from finding arbitrage opportunities that are definite grey areas.

6 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I think a better comparison is taxes.

People find loopholes and tax havens to get around paying taxes. With NIL, sure, a lot of this will come out in the open. But that's not going to stop some recruiters from finding arbitrage opportunities that are definite grey areas.

That very well may be the case!  I wouldn't put it past them.

41 minutes ago, atskooc said:

But the situation is the same: bust your ass and don't get rewarded for it (either with playing time, girls, coverage in the press, free drinks at the bar, whatever...and you can add money to that now in a more visible sense than in the past).  That has always been in sports at every level (to some degree). 

If Jace Piatkowski is pissed because Bryce McGowans gets more money (just using these names because of what I project to be a vast difference in playing time and recognition, thus resulting in a difference in dollars), then Jace needs to have a better grasp of reality.   If Delano Banton is pissed because Bryce makes more money, then Delano just got a quick lesson in business/economics.

But with the NIL situation, players can get paid for their social media presence.  A witty bench player can get a bunch of followers (and thus a bit of coin) not by being a good basketball player, but by knowing how to use Twitter successfully.  More power to him!

In a simple sense, I have no problem with athletes getting paid through NIL.  Any other student in college outside of athletics is free to use whatever talents they have to get paid (an art student can sell their work, a vocal student can get hired for gigs, etc). Why shouldn't athletes be open to that opportunity?

And as for majoring in sports? I've been tooting that horn for some time now. I think it makes sense! @Chuck Taylor, you and I agree on that 100%. Give them lessons in dealing with the press, personal finance, coaching, running a rec league, administration, and even some TV work all focusing on the sports angle.  There are careers in sports...why is there not a major for it?

Do you not think these athletes are currently not getting paid and compensated?  Free food, clothes, money stipend, shoes, education, etc.   Trust me, they are well taken care of and way better than an average student who has to pay to get their degree.

42 minutes ago, atskooc said:

But the situation is the same: bust your ass and don't get rewarded for it (either with playing time, girls, coverage in the press, free drinks at the bar, whatever...and you can add money to that now in a more visible sense than in the past).  That has always been in sports at every level (to some degree). 

If Jace Piatkowski is pissed because Bryce McGowans gets more money (just using these names because of what I project to be a vast difference in playing time and recognition, thus resulting in a difference in dollars), then Jace needs to have a better grasp of reality.   If Delano Banton is pissed because Bryce makes more money, then Delano just got a quick lesson in business/economics.

But with the NIL situation, players can get paid for their social media presence.  A witty bench player can get a bunch of followers (and thus a bit of coin) not by being a good basketball player, but by knowing how to use Twitter successfully.  More power to him!

In a simple sense, I have no problem with athletes getting paid through NIL.  Any other student in college outside of athletics is free to use whatever talents they have to get paid (an art student can sell their work, a vocal student can get hired for gigs, etc). Why shouldn't athletes be open to that opportunity?

And as for majoring in sports? I've been tooting that horn for some time now. I think it makes sense! @Chuck Taylor, you and I agree on that 100%. Give them lessons in dealing with the press, personal finance, coaching, running a rec league, administration, and even some TV work all focusing on the sports angle.  There are careers in sports...why is there not a major for it?

You’ve made my point for me, NEITHER Jace nor Bryce should be getting paid. We need to get over this notion that these kids are somehow being “exploited” and treated like ditch diggers. I’m not naive as to what motivates kids, I spent 14 years teaching @ a Mpls High School, but when we give up on Espirit De Corps & believing in  being part of something larger than oneself, we’ve lost a lot more than just amateurism.

1 minute ago, kldm64 said:

Do you not think these athletes are currently not getting paid and compensated?  Free food, clothes, money stipend, shoes, education, etc.   Trust me, they are well taken care of and way better than an average student who has to pay to get their degree.

Sure they are compensated by the university (by the choice of the university), but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to get paid from an outside source because they might be able to move product.

If an architecture student gets a full ride from the university, should they not be able to get paid to help someone design a building on the side? Should they not be able to get paid for having a successful YouTube channel? Should a Regents Scholar in the college of business not be able to work with a local ad agency and make a commercial or two while getting paid?

3 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Scholarships are like a marketing tool. They use them to attract the best talent, whether for an academic scholarship or an athletic scholarship. In turn, they hope those academics and athletes go out into the world and return the favor when they're financially able. They also hope that it draws in more applications and enrollment (just look at the boost a national championship team has on applications the following year).

Times have changed. A simple scholarship doesn't draw that top level talent. And that's fine. But it means you have to be very creative in how you build a roster.

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

You’ve made my point for me, NEITHER Jace nor Bryce should be getting paid. We need to get over this notion that these kids are somehow being “exploited” and treated like ditch diggers. I’m not naive as to what motivates kids, I spent 14 years teaching @ a Mpls High School, but when we give up on Espirit De Corps & believing in  being part of something larger than oneself, we’ve lost a lot more than just amateurism.

Your belief that they shouldn't get paid isn't going to change anything.  Here real soon they will be getting paid.

I'm not even sure I think they're being exploited...but I do think they should be able to get paid on the side, just as any other college student can.

14 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Your belief that they shouldn't get paid isn't going to change anything.  Here real soon they will be getting paid.

I'm not even sure I think they're being exploited...but I do think they should be able to get paid on the side, just as any other college student can.

Oh I know, that horse has left the barn & I’m not trying to argue with you. I just lament we’re heading down a slippery slope.

13 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Sure they are compensated by the university (by the choice of the university), but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to get paid from an outside source because they might be able to move product.

If an architecture student gets a full ride from the university, should they not be able to get paid to help someone design a building on the side? Should they not be able to get paid for having a successful YouTube channel? Should a Regents Scholar in the college of business not be able to work with a local ad agency and make a commercial or two while getting paid?

Exactly - the only reason athletes haven't been able to make money on the side like other students is to maintain some sort of "fair" and even recruiting situation. With illegal payments, that even playing field in recruiting isn't going on and hasn't for decades.

If the NCAA can't / won't uphold this idea of fair recruiting, what is the point of continuing to limit what athletes can earn on their own? 

4 hours ago, atskooc said:

That's an Apples vs. Oranges comparison.  I get your point but also keep in mind the reason the architecture student is "allowed" to make money on the side is they aren't compensated like the student athletes are.  They don't get free meals and clothes provided to them and a living stipend.  If they got all the same perks a student athlete gets, then I'd 100% agree with you but they don't.  It's not the same thing.  It's going to happen whether I agree with it or not but just think it might cause more harm to the college game than good.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

That's an Apples vs. Oranges comparison.  I get your point but also keep in mind the reason the architecture student is "allowed" to make money on the side is they aren't compensated like the student athletes are.  They don't get free meals and clothes provided to them and a living stipend.  If they got all the same perks a student athlete gets, then I'd 100% agree with you but they don't.  It's not the same thing.  It's going to happen whether I agree with it or not but just think it might cause more harm to the college game than good.

Apples and oranges have quite a lot in common (I’ve always hated that saying). 

And the reason the architecture student can get a job has nothing to do with the other perks an athletic scholly provides. It has everything to do with people paying athletes to give a school an “unfair” advantage (which still happens—ask Reggie Bush). The shoes and such are just window dressing. 

21 hours ago, atskooc said:

Apples and oranges have quite a lot in common (I’ve always hated that saying). 

And the reason the architecture student can get a job has nothing to do with the other perks an athletic scholly provides. It has everything to do with people paying athletes to give a school an “unfair” advantage (which still happens—ask Reggie Bush). The shoes and such are just window dressing. 

One can also flip the a & o argument by showing, with certainty, that certain athletes generate a substantially higher amount of revenue for the university and private sector of Lincoln than said architecture student while they are here.  They deserve well beyond the extra clothing and food they receive.  They deserve a piece of what their talents and hard work have generated in the private sector, which affects the university revenue zero.  For a place as crazy as Nebraska happens to be about college sports, it should serve as an advantage to our recruiting for these athletes receive NIL benefits. 

They don't have time for a job in the traditional sense anyway, because their time commitment is way more hours under the dictates of university scheduling than an architecture student.  Being a student athlete is an insane time commitment and extremely grueling.  This is another reason for their additional scholarship benefits.  

https://247sports.com/college/football/recruiting/Article/Four-Star-RB-Jovantae-Barnes-recaps-recent-visits-looks-ahead-to-busy-rest-of-the-month--166463356/

Interesting to read how schools like USC are crafting their recruiting pitches around NIL.  This is in football rather than basketball, but I imagine the pitch is the same for the large market schools for both major revenue sports:

"With college players getting paid soon for their NIL, they explained how playing in California with that big media market is huge."

I am curious to see which schools are best able to monetize this NIL rule to put money in their players' pockets.  Who will have the advantage? Big market schools that play second fiddle to a bevy of pro teams? Or small market schools that have a rabid fanbase statewide?

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

I am curious to see which schools are best able to monetize this NIL rule to put money in their players' pockets.  Who will have the advantage? Big market schools that play second fiddle to a bevy of pro teams? Or small market schools that have a rabid fanbase statewide?

I'm out here in Southern California and frankly college sports are an afterthought of an afterthought. I'd imagine thats the same for most large media markets. 

My thinking is this. Small market teams with rabid fan bases will probably have more players make a nice chunk of change. While large market teams will make a few players a ridiculous amount of coin.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

As an aside, I'm also noticing that student athlete accounts are now getting the "verified" checkmarks now.

Twitter just recently resumed verifying people again after a 4 year hiatus....I was just looking to do this with the HHC account though I don't know that I have enough juice

23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Husker Hoops officially asking all of you to fire up your burner accounts and follow Bryce

Also while twitter is good for info the real juice is instagram

Is the number here something other than followers? Chucky Hepburn has over 7,000 Twitter followers, yet he's not to be found on this list.

What am I missing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...