(NIL) Name - Image - Likeness

• hhcmatt changed the title to (NIL) Name - Image - Likeness

I have zero problem with college kids being able to get paid for their name, image, likeness, etc. 

No one complains when a college kid makes it big on Broadway and gets paid, or stars in a movie, or has a hit song.  They get paid. Why can't athletes as well?

33 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Just not a huge fan of this whole NIL thing.  It will change college sports and not for the better.

I'm not convinced.  Yes it will probably change college sports, but I honestly can't decide if it will be for the better or worse.  Or if things will remain largely the same, just with kids making some extra $$.

Either way, I will or will not decide to continue to follow college sports in the future, and name imagine likeness may have an effect on that.  Or it may not.  Everybody's priorities change.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Just not a huge fan of this whole NIL thing.  It will change college sports and not for the better.

I had this sentiment at first. And it very well could change college athletics and maybe not in a good way.

But with the NCAA's inability / unwillingness to police its rules regarding extra benefits and cheating, NIL should at least bring the payments above board and create a more even playing field. Maybe a cynical way to look at it.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

There's a very high likelihood that 90% of student athletes will make $1,000 or less over their collegiate career from NIL and the other 10% will make some career-level income.

One of the biggest social media influencers among Husker athletes is Lexi Sun. And IF eyeballs on your social media accounts translates into how much you get paid, she'd be making bank compared to some of the athletes who play relatively minor roles in major sports.

30 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

One of the biggest social media influencers among Husker athletes is Lexi Sun. And IF eyeballs on your social media accounts translates into how much you get paid, she'd be making bank compared to some of the athletes who play relatively minor roles in major sports.

Yup. Which is why I believe she is coming back for another year. 

3 hours ago, throwback said:

I had this sentiment at first. And it very well could change college athletics and maybe not in a good way.

But with the NCAA's inability / unwillingness to police its rules regarding extra benefits and cheating, NIL should at least bring the payments above board and create a more even playing field. Maybe a cynical way to look at it.

Think of it this way.  It we think the transfer portal is busy now, you really think the back-up QB or RB at any school is going to stay if he thinks he can go to another school and make more money.  Kids will start blaming coaches if they don't play enough or start cause now it's costing them money.  And the team chemistry will be really interesting as there can be hard feelings if teammate are making lots of money and they aren't.  People make is seem like they kids aren't getting anything now and that is so far from the truth.  They get a free education, meals, clothes, etc.  And if you go to a bowl game, you get things like a free PS5 (or whatever the latest version is now).  Basically this will be the end of "amateur athletics" and now college kids will be promoting themselves just like pro athletes to get endorsements.  

25 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Hate to break it to you, but this isn't 1970s college sports anymore. "Amateur" left the athlete in the NCAA more than 20 years ago.

Shoot, Wilt Chamberlain was getting paid to play hoops during college 65 years ago!  College athletes getting paid is absolutely nothing new.

All NIL is is an attempt to get things above board in college athletics...but I'm not convinced it will work.  At least not the way we would all hope it would.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Think of it this way.  It we think the transfer portal is busy now, you really think the back-up QB or RB at any school is going to stay if he thinks he can go to another school and make more money.  Kids will start blaming coaches if they don't play enough or start cause now it's costing them money.  And the team chemistry will be really interesting as there can be hard feelings if teammate are making lots of money and they aren't.  People make is seem like they kids aren't getting anything now and that is so far from the truth.  They get a free education, meals, clothes, etc.  And if you go to a bowl game, you get things like a free PS5 (or whatever the latest version is now).  Basically this will be the end of "amateur athletics" and now college kids will be promoting themselves just like pro athletes to get endorsements.  

Our guys haven’t snagged any PS-anythings lately because our team eats it. Now at least they’ll be able to afford to buy one. 

And the backup QB is stereotypically the most popular dude on the team (as the old saying goes). I suspect he’ll get paid just fine on our squad. 

43 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

This will be a watershed moment in College Sports, and not in a good way. When you start playing for the name of the back of the jersey instead of the front, you’ve got problems...

Guys have been doing that for decades. 

It’s damn near a fairytale to think otherwise. Guys don’t go to schools to make the programs better. They do so for their benefit. College just masks that it happens the other way because it’s a better look. 

31 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm all for amateurism. I hate the idea of under-the-table payments and cheating. I think there's way more to NIL than something that would permit what used to be cheating to now be done in the open. Read this thread:

Although I'm not fully subscribed to the same outlook, Blake's in the industry and I would default to him. Interesting take on comparing it to the eSports growth as that is a massive market.

I would also make the connection to the changing landscape Nebraska faced. In our prime, we were ahead of the sport in terms of a strength and conditioning program, being faster and stronger at every position than our opponent. We had prime time access to very limited TV coverage. We were one of twenty of so top brands in college football. The landscape changed. Other teams caught up with strength and conditioning and TV coverage now reaches Sun Belt football.

NIL appears to be just like that changing landscape. If you're late to the party, you're severally limiting your ability to attract talent and, ergo, limiting your ability to become a national powerhouse.

I haven't commented much in response to your latest comments @Norm Peterson, but you're certainly not wrong. Followers, impressions, and brand matters. Following those players increases their value. And if player follower trends tend to be higher at one school versus another school, that could be a draw for that athlete. Time will tell what the market pays, what the players will be attracted to, etc. But being late to the party in legal activity can take a program from a powerhouse to a 3-5 team.

3 hours ago, atskooc said:

Guys have been doing that for decades. 

It’s damn near a fairytale to think otherwise. Guys don’t go to schools to make the programs better. They do so for their benefit. College just masks that it happens the other way because it’s a better look. 

Well, if I was Joe-Bag-of-Donuts on the team, I wouldn’t be too thrilled about busting my ass day after day just so Johnny Bravo can make some more money...

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Well, if I was Joe-Bag-of-Donuts on the team, I wouldn’t be too thrilled about busting my ass day after day just so Johnny Bravo can make some more money...

Any less thrilled than the 1,200+ guys who hit the transfer portal this year were with their situations?

There are always players who bust their ass and get no playing time and are upset. This changes nothing on that front. 

17 hours ago, throwback said:

That's the way I feel about it. Bring the payments out in the open and abandon the idea that major college sports are somehow part of an academic endeavor. Football and basketball are minor league systems for the NFL and NBA. 

In addition, NIL will open the door to what the top kids should be doing: majoring in sports. They should learn how to market themselves, take care of their money, invest and live healthy lives. And when their playing careers are over, then can transition into coaching, running training programs and marketing younger athletes. A lot of smart athletes are doing these things already. MJ, LeBron, (the late) Kobe are easy examples, but there are a lot of lesser players who have parleyed their careers and short-time high salaries into rewarding lives later.

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

Any less thrilled than the 1,200+ guys who hit the transfer portal this year were with their situations?

There are always players who bust their ass and get no playing time and are upset. This changes nothing on that front. 

I’m not talking about playing time, I’m talking about MONEY & that does change everything.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’m not talking about playing time, I’m talking about MONEY & that does change everything.

But the situation is the same: bust your ass and don't get rewarded for it (either with playing time, girls, coverage in the press, free drinks at the bar, whatever...and you can add money to that now in a more visible sense than in the past).  That has always been in sports at every level (to some degree). 

If Jace Piatkowski is pissed because Bryce McGowans gets more money (just using these names because of what I project to be a vast difference in playing time and recognition, thus resulting in a difference in dollars), then Jace needs to have a better grasp of reality.   If Delano Banton is pissed because Bryce makes more money, then Delano just got a quick lesson in business/economics.

But with the NIL situation, players can get paid for their social media presence.  A witty bench player can get a bunch of followers (and thus a bit of coin) not by being a good basketball player, but by knowing how to use Twitter successfully.  More power to him!

In a simple sense, I have no problem with athletes getting paid through NIL.  Any other student in college outside of athletics is free to use whatever talents they have to get paid (an art student can sell their work, a vocal student can get hired for gigs, etc). Why shouldn't athletes be open to that opportunity?

And as for majoring in sports? I've been tooting that horn for some time now. I think it makes sense! @Chuck Taylor, you and I agree on that 100%. Give them lessons in dealing with the press, personal finance, coaching, running a rec league, administration, and even some TV work all focusing on the sports angle.  There are careers in sports...why is there not a major for it?

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Just because NIL has been created won't change illegal recruiting that goes on in college sports.  They are 2 totally separate things.

Serious question:  Anybody know how illegal pot dealers are doing in Colorado? Has legalizing marijuana curtailed the street dealers? Is that even something we can find out?

I suspect the effect on illegal recruiting (in terms of bag men and payments under the table) might be affected similarly. I could be very wrong, though. It happens a lot.