Scholarship Question

No it's not public knowledge on the splits. They'll say which players are on scholarship and which are walk-ons, but that's it. Coaches don't like that info getting out to other teams. The players usually know where everyone sits, but they don't always have the most accurate info either. Also, the splits can be fluid from year to year. If a kid isn't performing, he could drop down to 1/10 so they can afford to give another kid more. Kind of  used as an encouragement for the kid to transfer, too.

I think at one point, the rule was you had to have between 27 and 35 players on some portion of scholarship and there was a requirement that a certain number of players had to receive at least 1/3 (I think it was 27), but I don't follow it close enough anymore to know if that's changed recently.

At one point it was pretty rare for more than one or two players to receive more than 1/2, at least at NU, but again, not sure if that's changed recently.

Plus, baseball rosters turn over so much with guys turning pro late & bringing in transfers and ju-cos to fill those spots over the summer that it's really tough to track. And the B1G really limits oversigning versus the SEC, Big XII, ACC, etc, that it further complicates things, necessitating bringing in more players over the summer at the last minute.

Edited by throwback

1 hour ago, throwback said:

No it's not public knowledge on the splits. They'll say which players are on scholarship and which are walk-ons, but that's it. Coaches don't like that info getting out to other teams. The players usually know where everyone sits, but they don't always have the most accurate info either. Also, the splits can be fluid from year to year. If a kid isn't performing, he could drop down to 1/10 so they can afford to give another kid more. Kind of  used as an encouragement for the kid to transfer, too.

I think at one point, the rule was you had to have between 27 and 35 players on some portion of scholarship and there was a requirement that a certain number of players had to receive at least 1/3 (I think it was 27), but I don't follow it close enough anymore to know if that's changed recently.

At one point it was pretty rare for more than one or two players to receive more than 1/2, at least at NU, but again, not sure if that's changed recently.

Plus, baseball rosters turn over so much with guys turning pro late & bringing in transfers and ju-cos to fill those spots over the summer that it's really tough to track. And the B1G really limits oversigning versus the SEC, Big XII, ACC, etc, that it further complicates things, necessitating bringing in more players over the summer at the last minute.

Thanks. I always thought baseball coaches had to do a juggling act when it comes to scholarships. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of who gets what at NU.

I used to work with someone who had a kid on the team recently and under Erstad the standard was just about everyone got about half a scholarship. There were adjustments made if they had someone stay longer than expected and sometimes kids were asked to take less for a time with the understanding it would be made right later on. Or at least that's the story he was told. His son was asked to take less for a semester once. I think they refused and the request was made of someone else and it wasn't contentious.

23 minutes ago, BugeaterZ said:

I used to work with someone who had a kid on the team recently and under Erstad the standard was just about everyone got about half a scholarship. There were adjustments made if they had someone stay longer than expected and sometimes kids were asked to take less for a time with the understanding it would be made right later on. Or at least that's the story he was told. His son was asked to take less for a semester once. I think they refused and the request was made of someone else and it wasn't contentious.

Makes sense. Thanks.