Arkansas Regional

Kevin Warren - the gift that keeps on giving.

While NU clearly was punished for not playing non-con games, Arkansas can't be too happy either. Why bother to get the #1 overall seed when they're going to send a team like NU there?

2nd time in the past 4 tournaments that NU has been sent to the overwhelming #1 overall national seed (Oregon St in 2017). Hope this trip goes better than that disaster did. No time to feel sorry for ourselves or look ahead. Most of those teams from the northeast region have a really good #1 and maybe even a strong #2 starting pitcher, so we'll have a challenge Friday, I'm sure. (We saw that first hand in 2017 and 2019 with Yale/Holy Cross/UConn.) Need to try to get into the Northeastern bullpen early Friday.

Guess we should've let Michigan sweep us, then maybe we could've swapped spots with them. I'd rather be in South Bend 100 times out of 100 than Fayetteville.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Not sure why there is angst.  One game at time and simply win and advance.  We are healthy and ready to win.

Shoot, after our three game sweep by Rutgers, I was worried that we wouldn't even make the tournament. 

I get the "eventually we would have to beat Arkansas" line of thinking, but I think the angst is that we have to do it in the first round and not Supers or the CWS.

It'll be a damn shame when Arkansas doesn't get into Supers or the CWS... just saying.  HAHA!

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I get the "eventually we would have to beat Arkansas" line of thinking, but I think the angst is that we have to do it in the first round and not Supers or the CWS.

It'll be a damn shame when Arkansas doesn't get into Supers or the CWS... just saying.  HAHA!

What's the point of a regular season if those games don't give you an advantage in postseason play? Big Ten title aside, we would've been better off losing some games and ending up where Maryland is.

50 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

What's the point of a regular season if those games don't give you an advantage in postseason play? Big Ten title aside, we would've been better off losing some games and ending up where Maryland is.

Exactly.  Unlike basketball where a 2/3 doesn’t have to play each other and a 1 seed until 2-3 games in... baseball is different.  SEEDING MATTERS.

Maybe my math is wrong; but there are 8 number one seeds and 8 number two seeds.  That would be the top 16... right?  Thus the committee is saying we go into the tournament as the 16th best team...right?  What are we rated right now?

Any where from 19 to 25

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Maybe my math is wrong; but there are 8 number one seeds and 8 number two seeds.  That would be the top 16... right?  Thus the committee is saying we go into the tournament as the 16th best team...right?  What are we rated right now?

There's 16 total regionals. So #1 and #2 for all the regionals would be 32 total teams.

50 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

It is wrong, yes.  The 16 best teams (which are regional hosts) are expected to play each other in the Supers. There are 16 regions so each team hosting a regional is the #1 seed in their regional.  We're the #2 seed in the #1 overall seed's region.  So when you say #16 would have the 17th highest seeded team as their #2, #15 would have the 18th highest seeded team as theirs...etc...then it gets down to us being the #32nd seeded team.

Of course that breaks down a little bit due to the fact that the NCAA was probably trying to place teams in regionals closest to them, covid being a big reason why this year, and we just so happen to have the #1 ranked team hosting the regional closest to us.  We may or may not actually be the 32nd best team in the country...but without any non-con games, and how the RPI works I can see why this turned out the way it did for us.  Just bad luck maybe.

14 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

There's 16 total regionals. So #1 and #2 for all the regionals would be 32 total teams.

That's right.  If you want to say there are 8 #1's and 8 #2's (those are the regional hosts) then we are the lowest of the #4 seeds.  Or about the 32nd best team in the tournament.

15 minutes ago, 49r said:

Of course that breaks down a little bit due to the fact that the NCAA was probably trying to place teams in regionals closest to them, covid being a big reason why this year, and we just so happen to have the #1 ranked team hosting the regional closest to us.  We may or may not actually be the 32nd best team in the country...but without any non-con games, and how the RPI works I can see why this turned out the way it did for us.  Just bad luck maybe.

Most likely wanted to have the storyline of student against teacher.  South Bend is 140 miles further from Lincoln than Fayetville.  Is it that much of a difference?

19 hours ago, brfrad said:

Most likely wanted to have the storyline of student against teacher.  South Bend is 140 miles further from Lincoln than Fayetville.  Is it that much of a difference?

If the NCAA was going on distance, that is 2 hours more of driving.  I bet we bus to Arkansas.

looking at the bracket again, they were consistent at least.  While I think competitive balance should rule the day(especially when a flight is involved), it is very clear and consistent that they simply lumped all of the 2's in a basket and tried to minimize the total distance of travel among the 16 teams.  Similar for 3 and 4.   This isn't junior varsity high school sports.  Pretty dumb.  Regional situations could be used when two teams are very close I suppose, but to do it in a complete blanket is wrong imo. 

3 hours ago, royalfan said:

looking at the bracket again, they were consistent at least.  While I think competitive balance should rule the day(especially when a flight is involved), it is very clear and consistent that they simply lumped all of the 2's in a basket and tried to minimize the total distance of travel among the 16 teams.  Similar for 3 and 4.   This isn't junior varsity high school sports.  Pretty dumb.  Regional situations could be used when two teams are very close I suppose, but to do it in a complete blanket is wrong imo. 

And I’m just saying... the NCAA would have made a hell of a lot more money with Nebraska hosting than they will save by bussing them to Fayetteville.  

Keep trying to remind myself that this is baseball.  Guys can hit balls hard right at people over a few games.  Momentum is huge.  You never know.  It isn't like our football team headed to Alabama as the 17-22 best  team in nation when we should be playing 11-16.  

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

And if the 2 see came out of that regional too..... we'd have to play at a neutral site.  SMH!

Presumably we would have to go to Ruston to play the supers wouldn't we?

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2021?utm_campaign=inline-article

Unless I guess somehow Rider came out of that region, then we'd play the supers at....Fayetteville?

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Presumably we would have to go to Ruston to play the supers wouldn't we?

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2021?utm_campaign=inline-article

Unless I guess somehow Rider came out of that region, then we'd play the supers at....Fayetteville?

Correct— either play at LA Tech or if another seed came out of that region, we’d play at one of the 20 pre-determined sites.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Correct— either play at LA Tech or if another seed came out of that region, we’d play at one of the 20 pre-determined sites.

One of the 20?  Or one of the 16?  I was under the impression that the supers will be hosted at the highest seeded team's regional site?  And since the winner of the Fayetteville region plays the winner of the Ruston region the super regional will be hosted at Fayetteville if Arkansas advances, but if they don't then it's at Ruston if anyone but Rider advances, in which case it will be at Fayetteville.