Banton's a Raptor

Day 2 of Banton at the G League, it's the second game here so you need to fast forward

One thing to note is that he's playing with a PG in Mike Smith and McClung spends a lot of time dribbling up the court as well.

Feels like that is what we need to do at Nebraska...have him play as a secondary ball handler who doesn't bring it up the court because of his lack of urgency

image.png

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Day 2 of Banton at the G League, it's the second game here so you need to fast forward

One thing to note is that he's playing with a PG in Mike Smith and McClung spends a lot of time dribbling up the court as well.

Feels like that is what we need to do at Nebraska...have him play as a secondary ball handler who doesn't bring it up the court because of his lack of urgency

image.png

I tend to agree.  He is a plus passer but a very mediocre ball handler.  Both skills are equally important for the PG position.  Not sure Delano will ever be a true PG.  I can still see a lot of value in him as a point forward.  He does a lot of things well, especially if he returns to pre-covid form.

11 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Delano continues to exceed expectations.   One of the "Top 5 Game Performers" at an "Elite Camp" for NBA prospects is not bad for a player deemed ineffectual by some Nebrasketball fans:

Towards the end of the season he was removed from the starting lineup and his minutes went down. He was obviously in a funk.

50 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Delano continues to exceed expectations.   One of the "Top 5 Game Performers" at an "Elite Camp" for NBA prospects is not bad for a player deemed ineffectual by some Nebrasketball fans

Neither are wrong.  NBA cares about potential, particularly when it comes to second rounders and UFAs.  That justifies Banton's inclusion in the Elite Camp, and he did indeed produce a top 5 stat line yesterday.

Husker fans care a lot more about performance than potential.  It doesn't do us a lot of good to have a guy starting for us that performs poorly, but has the raw tools to be good 2-3 years after his eligibility clock expires. 

56 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Neither are wrong.  NBA cares about potential, particularly when it comes to second rounders and UFAs.  That justifies Banton's inclusion in the Elite Camp, and he did indeed produce a top 5 stat line yesterday.

Husker fans care a lot more about performance than potential.  It doesn't do us a lot of good to have a guy starting for us that performs poorly, but has the raw tools to be good 2-3 years after his eligibility clock expires. 

He has the tools to be good next year. And, depending on how he uses his time over the summer, he could come back and prove it.

5 hours ago, busticket said:

I tend to agree.  He is a plus passer but a very mediocre ball handler.  Both skills are equally important for the PG position.  Not sure Delano will ever be a true PG.  I can still see a lot of value in him as a point forward.  He does a lot of things well, especially if he returns to pre-covid form.

He's the kind of guy where it certainly matters what sort of team you put around him. Sometimes you have teams where there aren't enough shots to go around...if anything last year we were a team that didn't necessarily have enough guys who needed to score masked by one guy in Teddy Allen that absolutely needed to score.

What I wonder is if we have enough firepower at the rest of the positions on the court where he can be the NBA body version of Thor....a guy that can help you win by doing all the things you need besides scoring.  More importantly, do we have enough 3pt shooting firepower so we can turn him into a guy that takes 75% of his shots inside the arc instead of the 60% he took last year?

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

He's the kind of guy where it certainly matters what sort of team you put around him. Sometimes you have teams where there aren't enough shots to go around...if anything last year we were a team that didn't necessarily have enough guys who needed to score masked by one guy in Teddy Allen that absolutely needed to score.

What I wonder is if we have enough firepower at the rest of the positions on the court where he can be the NBA body version of Thor....a guy that can help you win by doing all the things you need besides scoring.  More importantly, do we have enough 3pt shooting firepower so we can turn him into a guy that takes 75% of his shots inside the arc instead of the 60% he took last year?

I'm feeling like we do.

I'm feeling like we're going to see, for example, a better version of Lat Mayen this year, but a Lat Mayen who gets to be the 3rd or 4th perimeter shooting option rather than who has to be the 1st or 2nd. I feel like we'll see a more efficient Lat from deep this year.

I think we'll have proficient perimeter shooters with CJ, Lat, Kobe and Bryce, and Keisei if he sees the floor. We'll also have competent shooters with Trey and Keon, and Trevor if he sees the floor. So, 6-8 guys who should be legit threats to knock it down from deep.

And that would allow Dalano to operate where he operates best.

Which means I'm feeling like we'd see a better version of Dalano Banton this year, if he chooses to return. Which I hope he does.

19 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

He has the tools to be good next year. And, depending on how he uses his time over the summer, he could come back and prove it.

I'm not saying he can't.  But that's the thing about "potential" guys.  Maybe he flips the switch and is dominant this year.  Maybe it takes him another year or two and he becomes one of those NBA guys where you go "wow, I don't remember him being like that in college."  Or maybe it never happens.  

Personally, I want him on our team next year no matter what role he plays.  He was one of the guys whose body language was still good even when we were in a deep slump as a team.  And even when he was in a personal slump.  High character, good teammate, and lots of potential.  That's a formula for a guy that can only help your team, not hurt it. 

Edited by aphilso1

8 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm not saying he can't.  But that's the thing about "potential" guys.  Maybe he flips the switch and is dominant this year.  Maybe it takes him another year or two and he becomes one of those NBA guys where you go "wow, I don't remember him being like that in college."  Or maybe it never happens.  

Personally, I want him on our team next year no matter what role he plays.  He was one of the guys whose body language was still good even when we were in a deep slump as a team.  And even when he was in a personal slump.  High character, good teammate, and lots of potential.  That's a formula for a guy that can only help your team, not hurt it. 

I liked the comparison someone made to Thor. But longer.

10 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

One does get serious Mikki Moore vibes from Dalano.  Which isn't a bad thing.

Doesn’t sound great for him returning. Not a back breaker but would have really been nice getting him back. 

Can’t blame him if true…he will be turning 22 this November. But if he would come back and prove he can hit a jumper he would likely be a lock to he drafted. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

8 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Doesn’t sound great for him returning. Not a back breaker but would have really been nice getting him back. 

Can’t blame him if true…he will be turning 22 this November. But if he would come back and prove he can hit a jumper he would likely be a lock to he drafted. 

The starting lineup might be the same whether he returns or not. But it wouldn't suck to have a guy with 3 years of experience, who can do a lot of different things, in the lineup.

I think we need veteran presence on this team this year. Having Banton back would be helpful. And it would be great for him if he could prove that those numbers weren't just a lucky day. If he could sustain them for a season, it might vault him into lottery contention. But it's looking more and more like Banton is heading in the direction of the draft and getting paid rather than returning to Nebraska to raise his draft stock into clear first rounder consideration.

Oh well, guess we'll have to roll with Bryce and Co.

Edited by Norm Peterson

If he is shooting it anything like those numbers suggest, I would love to have him back.  I bet he would be playing 28 or more minutes a game if the three ball is going in at a 35 or higher percent clip.  I would like to have him back either way.  

Edited by royalfan

Here is a Sports Illustrated report:

Dalano Banton, G/F, Nebraska

Height: 6' 9" | Weight: 195 | Age: 21 | Sophomore

While Banton didn’t receive enough votes for the combine, he proved himself to be one of the most intriguing prospects at G League Elite Camp, only after being added to the event as a late injury replacement for Dejon Jarreau. Banton measured at 6' 9" in shoes with a 6' 10.25" wingspan and 9' 0" standing reach and led the G League camp in rebounds and assists, legitimizing his potential as a jumbo-sized playmaker and drawing second-round interest from teams.

I highlighted Banton as a sleeper before the combine, with the primary caveat being whether he’ll shoot. That remains a real question, but he did shoot well at his pro day workout, and if teams can talk themselves into the workability of the jumper, there’s a fascinating pathway for him to develop into a Shaun Livingston–esque role player. Banton is unselfish almost to a fault, but is an exceptional ball-screen playmaker who can access passing angles other guards can’t due to his size and vision. He’s built a case to be drafted after coming in off the radar, and has become more than just a curiosity for some scouts.

Just saw this as well.  I was really hoping we got another year from him but totally understand.  Wish him well and hopes he gets drafted or makes a team.  Thought he could even be a starter for us this year.  Still a good look that Fred is putting kids in the league.  That is what will attract more 5 star players to come here.