Banton's a Raptor

I would tell Delano to stay in school for at least one more year.  Needs improvement with lateral quickness, strength, perimeter shooting and handles.  Absolutely can be learned in the D-league where you can focus on basketball 24/7...but we have a staff that can hone the game as well.

Shoot...I'd hate to lose him.  This could be a pretty special year and he most certainly brings flexibility to our rotation. 

6 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

As I recall, Roby did this and went pro, Cam Mack did it and ended up in the portal, and Ryan Anderson did this and ended up coming back, so it probably doesn't mean much about what Delano is going to do next year at this point. 

Petteway and Shields too.  Its an evaluation process to see where they are at.  Nothing more as you stated.  I dont get why the hate on this on twitter.  People obviously dont get what it means

An honest question here because I don’t follow the NBA draft or the NBA at all: Is it a requirement that a player make a public declaration of entering the draft in order to receive this evaluation/feedback?

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

As I recall, Roby did this and went pro, Cam Mack did it and ended up in the portal, and Ryan Anderson did this and ended up coming back, so it probably doesn't mean much about what Delano is going to do next year at this point. 

Pitchford did it and wound up trying to develop an app.  

1 hour ago, demone said:

An honest question here because I don’t follow the NBA draft or the NBA at all: Is it a requirement that a player make a public declaration of entering the draft in order to receive this evaluation/feedback?

Yes, more or less.

The withdraw date is July 7th.  The NBA combine is around June 17th. The combine is invite only so whether or not he's asked to attend really seems like it would dictate whether or not he comes back.  It seems pretty unlikely he'd be drafted this year. What happens if he has a solid commit to play for a G-League team?  That would look pretty attractive if you're Banton and you're potentially questioning whether or not you're going to start at Nebraska next year.

Honestly, I think he needs to work on his handles quite a bit, and his passing. There were numerous times he got the ball stolen clean while he attempted a dribble drive- drove me bonkers at times. He also didn’t seem to be a great distributor, which is fine, but in the NBA, is he a wing?? Not nearly quick enough but not big or strong enough for the 4....

it doesn't hurt for dalano to get a "second opinion" from pro scouts as to what he needs to work on. it's actually in *our* interest as fans for him to do this, because sometimes that feedback can make a better player. And it's almost certain he'll return to NU, as long as he thinks he has an opportunity to develop his weaker spots. 

I wish him luck. Banton seems like a decent dude. 

But he's not going pro. Some of our best players tapped out at D League ball, and I can't even begin to compare him with guys like Terran or James. He's not even close to their game. 

I think hes in a tough spot here. Not really an NBA player could catch on in the G league or whatever they call it now. If he comes back I dont think hes getting as much PT with all the talent we have, dont see how transfering again helps either. Hes got a good coach with good connections in the league who can help him out and worse case scenario he plays overseas and has a nice little career. We should be very proud of him.

9 hours ago, tcp said:

But he's not going pro. Some of our best players tapped out at D League ball, and I can't even begin to compare him with guys like Terran or James. He's not even close to their game. 

If Petteway or Palmer were 6'9"-6'10" they'd be in the NBA.

11 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

The chance he starts this year are FAR from certain, but he probably has the highest ceiling if he can improve his outside shooting...

The ironic thing is his best shot for the NBA is also what would get him on the floor and starting for us. If he corrects those deficiencies and proves it on the floor this coming season, he's a high-end draft pick in 2022. So, go get that analysis, find out what they say you need to be able to do, and show that you can do it. I have a feeling the breakdown is going to sound something like "needs to show NBA range on his jumper, needs improved handles, needs improved quickness, needs to finish better at the rim, needs to hit freethrows at a higher rate."

If he can do those things, he WILL start for us; if he cannot do those things, he WON'T be in the NBA regardless. I honestly think he CAN do those things. I hope that he WILL do those things and do them in a Husker uniform. Because returning talent matters. And our success this year depends in part on the new guys being as good as we hope, but also on our returning vets being a year better than they were. Experience matters in this game. A lot.