MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

9 hours ago, 49r said:

Well three games in and three results for the boys. It’s not exactly how I thought we’d get three points but we got ‘em nonetheless.

It feels weird to be content with a winless start, but I am happy with how SKC has played. 
-Stole a point in Houston after being thoroughly outplayed

-Outclassed Union and should have won the home opener. Even the MLS 360 guys were saying SKC won that match, with the officials handing the tie to Philly. 
-Hung tough and earned a point in LA. Great match. 

20 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

It feels weird to be content with a winless start, but I am happy with how SKC has played. 
-Stole a point in Houston after being thoroughly outplayed

-Outclassed Union and should have won the home opener. Even the MLS 360 guys were saying SKC won that match, with the officials handing the tie to Philly. 
-Hung tough and earned a point in LA. Great match. 

That Union match pissed me off so much.  That throw in was so obvious, even my wife said “how’s that their throw in?”

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

What a crappy way to give up 2 points yesterday.  UGHHHH

Anyone going to watch Messi?

Yep, I will be.  We don't know if he'll actually play but I'll be there.  Supposed to be a beautiful day.

If we could avoid dropping points from commanding positions we'd be alone in first place in the Supporters Shield race right now, it's disgusting.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Yep, I will be.  We don't know if he'll actually play but I'll be there.  Supposed to be a beautiful day.

If we could avoid dropping points from commanding positions we'd be alone in first place in the Supporters Shield race right now, it's disgusting.

True-- I could see them sitting Messi, but would be neat if he plays and should be a good atmosphere either way.

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

True-- I could see them sitting Messi, but would be neat if he plays and should be a good atmosphere either way.

They have a Concacaf Champions Cup match tomorrow in Monterrey, Mexico.  Not sure if they'll play Messi in that one or rest him for the game in KC on Saturday, but they probably won't play him in both I'd imagine.

I will be there Saturday with my family.  I am hoping Messi plays Saturday, that's why we bought the tickets.  Either way, should be fun to watch. 

Also, I'm guessing Messi plays tomorrow against Monterrey too.  He didn't play against them last time and they will need all of their stars to play if they want to move on in Champions Cup.

Was not impressed with Miami last night.  They looked… rough.  1st goal conceded was sloppy.  But throughout the match there was no drive, no intensity. 

They remind me of a few of Fred’s first teams.  A lot of really cool and really

nice puzzle pieces, but they all go to different puzzles and can’t create a nice puzzle together.

11 minutes ago, Shawnee City FC said:

Do we think Messi will play in KC on Saturday? Hope so as I'll be there! 

Looks like Messi went the full 90 last night according to the box score, so he's almost assuredly not starting in KC.  Perhaps could come on as a late sub if Miami needs a goal.

14 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Would a soccer team be better at baseball or a baseball team at soccer?

I think you can take an elite athlete and teach him how to defend in soccer a lot easier than you can teach an elite athlete how to pitch or hit a baseball.  Granted a non-soccer playing athlete isn't going to score any goals against a pro soccer team, but you could park the bus and keep the final score somewhat respectable.  Not true for the baseball game, as the baseball players would destroy the non-baseball players. 

Hypothetical Soccer Match Score:

Inter Miami 7

KC Royals 0

Hypothetical Baseball Game Score:

Inter Miami 0

KC Royals 50+

47 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Looks like Messi went the full 90 last night according to the box score, so he's almost assuredly not starting in KC.  Perhaps could come on as a late sub if Miami needs a goal.

My thoughts too.  Was first game back last night.  Also, can’t remember who got the red, but is he out for Saturday or can he play since it’s a different competition?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

My thoughts too.  Was first game back last night.  Also, can’t remember who got the red, but is he out for Saturday or can he play since it’s a different competition?

Jordi Alba.  Pretty sure that red card does not carry over to other leagues/competitions, so he should be available Saturday.  Ironically, he is probably more likely to start on Saturday since his red card saved him 15-20 minutes of playing time last night.

Edited by aphilso1

1 minute ago, 49r said:

Wow!  What an amazing environment.  72,000 fans!  It's too bad we couldn't get a result but man that was a fun game to be at.

Was a good game too.  Messi played!  Got a Messi banger!  But SKC held their own and were right there.  Sucks to not pick up a point, but makes me excited to see that place (hopefully in person) rocking for USA vs Uruguay in July. 

This season is already starting to feel like a "what could have been" year.  So much offensive firepower, but we are 24th in the league in goals allowed and the vast majority of those have come in the final 30 minutes. 

Vermes has spoken glowingly about the quality of his bench, we are the oldest team in MLS, and our starters are hemorrhaging points late in every game.  Put that together and you'd think we would be leading the league in bench minutes played.  And yet we continue to trot tired legs out there at the end of every match rather than use our substitution allotment.  Make it make sense.