MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

Thanks @49r yes I could have made that more clear.  I could see us finishing anywhere from first to fourth.

That initial game against Wales is huge.  Come up with 3 there and we’re in a good spot.  Whatever happens with England happens.  Then Iran is big as well.

The slop last night didn’t really help us in prep for the WC, but one thing I loved to see was the fight!  The grit and toughness that we showed.

My few quick notes after June camp.

1.  LDLT has, rightfully so, earned a spot on this WC roster.  He has played very well in any situation he’s thrown in (starting vs sub roles)

1.5 Not only did he earn a roster spot, is he earning a starting spot?  Love Musah in the mid, wish he could have finished that one run last night.

2.  The fight for the last GK slot will be interesting.  I’m leaning Johnson (along with Steffen and Turner).  Ethan didn’t do much either way to move the needle last night and I liked Johnson’s game against Uruguay.

3.  My 23 as of today.

GK- Turner, Steffen, Johnson

Defenders: Jedi, Zimmerman, Dest, Long, Cannon for sure.  …… Then pick your 2 poisons from Richards, Yedlin, Brooks, Scally, CCV, Bello, or EPB.  The last two are hard picks really.  No one has stood out from that group.

Mids: LDLT, Musah, Adams, McKennie for sure.  Acosta and Roldan for experience?  Do you look at Busio or Mihailovic in place of one of those?

Fwrd: Aaronson, Pulisic, Weah, Reyna for sure.  Then I’m going with Pepi, Sargent. Last spot I could see anyone from Morris, Ferreira, or Greg brining Arriola.

Edited by hskr4life

Such awesome news!  Can’t believe DC didn’t get a bid.  I know it’s a long shot, but it would be special to get a US group stage game in KC.

They may be looking at a US game in each region is my hope, so if that’s the case, my guess is it’ll be Dallas vs KC for the central region.

41 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

Im hoping to have my teardrop camper by then and take a month off to follow the team around…but I also want to go to a game which getting into a us match could be next to impossible, I’m gonna have my work cut out for me haha

Those are some pretty miserable locations to be camping in the middle of summer.  You're more committed than I am!

On 6/17/2022 at 11:59 AM, aphilso1 said:

Those are some pretty miserable locations to be camping in the middle of summer.  You're more committed than I am!

Meh, it’s more about not having to get a hotel and slumming it then camping. Unless it’s still camping If you roast marshmallows in a Walmart parking lot?  

Just got back from Nashville and man what a great experience!  Their new stadium is absolutely brilliant and in the middle of a cool neighborhood.  It's a really fun town with plenty of entertainment options and best of all SKC got out of there with a win!  Lots of Kansas City supporters there as well.  Best part is handing them the first home loss in their new stadium (and first overall at home in about two years)!

Roger got probably the best yellow card of his career (and that's saying a lot considering the body of work to draw from 😁).  Graham got another "Zusi for President" goal.  Hernandez scored a goal in his home town.  The weather was about as perfect as you could hope for in middle Tennessee in late July.  Overall, 10/10 would recommend!

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

Just got back from Nashville and man what a great experience!  Their new stadium is absolutely brilliant and in the middle of a cool neighborhood.  It's a really fun town with plenty of entertainment options and best of all SKC got out of there with a win!  Lots of Kansas City supporters there as well.  Best part is handing them the first home loss in their new stadium (and first overall at home in about two years)!

Roger got probably the best yellow card of his career (and that's saying a lot considering the body of work to draw from 😁).  Graham got another "Zusi for President" goal.  Hernandez scored a goal in his home town.  The weather was about as perfect as you could hope for in middle Tennessee in late July.  Overall, 10/10 would recommend!

We’re struggling this year.  So happy to get the W!

52 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I've been to Nissan Stadium for a game, but not the new stadium. How was it? And was it close to town?

How was it?  Fantastic!  I think it could very well be the best SSS in the US/Canada.  It is close-ish to town, maybe 3-4 miles from downtown, so not a close as Nissan Stadium.  It's built in the middle of a neighborhood which really lends to the atmosphere but it does make parking a little more difficult.  However, if you are willing to look around, arrive early and walk a little bit you can park in the surrounding neighborhoods for free.  We arrived 2 hours before kickoff and parked about three blocks away from the stadium and got out relatively quickly.

The concession options are top-notch and it's the biggest SSS in MLS (Seating 30,000) so it can get pretty loud.  Being in Music City they really bring that entertainment factor to the stadium too with live music all around the stadium before and during the match.  It's easy to get in and out with super wide concourses.  Probably the only complaints I have are the sound system is a little weak, the video boards are a little undersized and not the easiest to see from all parts of the stadium, and finally the overhang allows for some pretty weird shadows on the pitch in late afternoon/early evening.  But the sight lines are really great from just about anywhere, no dead spots anywhere.

If you are ever thinking about going to a game there I would say don't hesitate.

Edited by 49r

On 6/16/2022 at 6:31 PM, HuskerFever said:

Unfortunate that Werner Park wasn't able to host the World Cup. :lol:

Technically though if we win tomorrow (knock on wood) they redraw for hosting and we could end up hosting la galaxy or Sacramento republic.  So it would be like our World Cup.  Lol