MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

13 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

USA looking good against a pretty good Morocco side who will also be at the World Cup.  Had good run of play and dominance in midfield.  Center backs and striker are going to be the big questions going forward IMO.

I caught highlights of the first half and watched the second.  Shaky backline play at times, but overall was a good performance against a quality side.  We still need a #9.

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Overall, liked how we looked.  Think that group (Morocco) would have been top 4 in CONCACAF qualifying.  Uruguay will be without Suarez, but still a stiff test.  I’ll be there.  First ever US game in person.

I'll be there too.  Should be a perfect day for it.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:04 AM, aphilso1 said:

I caught highlights of the first half and watched the second.  Shaky backline play at times, but overall was a good performance against a quality side.  We still need a #9.

Yeah and with all the inconsistencies and injuries at forward we might need to experiment up top.  I still think Sargent is our best bet up front.  Even though Norwich city was really bad this year he was a consistent performer up front and his hold up play/defensive help were really good.  Ferreira I think is Greg’s guy right now, his runs are good but he’s left a lot to be desired with his finishing.  Haji wright had some glimpses Wednesday, good movement off the ball, good combo play and should have finished one from play, but the PK was slotted well.  

twellman said something I’d be thinking about for a while and something we’d discussed on here before.  What about trying weah at the 9 where he’s played for his club team? That dude is dangerous when he attacks goal, he has speed, great runs behind the line and can get a rocket of a shot off with little space.  This makes sense especially when you see that Aaronson played so well at the mid last game and pulisic looks better on the wing.  And when Reyna comes back that dude is too good to not have on the field, you could potentially have a lineup like this:

turner 

dest-Zimmerman-Richard’s-robinson

Adams-mckennie

reyna/munsah

Aaronson-pulisic

weah

you’d have to choose between Reyna, munsah and Aaronson but there’s too much talent in that midfield to waste 2 on the bench IMO.  The other wild card is LDLT whose been a defensive and on the ball master since he’s come into the team.  I know Reyna and McKennie will be limited with minutes coming back from injury, but these many creative young players is not a bad thing at all.  The huge number of injuries and the exile of brooks on the back line is my biggest worry at the moment.  

@Keenan9595 I'd love to see Weah at the 9.  Ferreira drives me nuts, and I really hope he has fallen out of GB's preferred lineup before the WC.  Good movement off the ball, but he simply cannot find the back of the net and as a #9 that's about 95% of his job.  I really thought/hoped Pepe was the answer, but his stock has tanked faster than bitcoin.  Dike had his moment before disappearing into oblivion, too.  Then there's the guys who look good for club but inconsistent in a US shirt -- Pefoc and Sargent most of all.  Maybe Wright can break through and be the man, but it just feels like he's the flavor of the month.  At this point I'd prefer to play someone in the striker role who already has earned a starting spot.  I'm up for a Weah experiment.

Agreed that, if all healthy, we have an abundance of riches in the midfield.  A 100% heathy Reyna to me is a clear starter, either on the wing or at the #10.  I'd love to see LDT get some time as a #6, as that would allow us to drop Acosta (who in my opinion has the least talent of any USMNT regular) from the WC roster. 

I'm digging your starting lineup, although IMO Reyna is clearly above Musah rather than a toss up.  And I am not sure who I'd select to pair at LCB next to Walker.  Richards is probably as good a guess as any...such a bummer losing Miles Robinson, as the Robinson x2/Zimmerman/Dest backline was really gelling.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, aphilso1 said:

@Keenan9595 I'd love to see Weah at the 9.  Ferreira drives me nuts, and I really hope he has fallen out of GB's preferred lineup before the WC.  Good movement off the ball, but he simply cannot find the back of the net and as a #9 that's about 95% of his job.  I really thought/hoped Pepe was the answer, but his stock has tanked faster than bitcoin.  Dike had his moment before disappearing into oblivion, too.  Then there's the guys who look good for club but inconsistent in a US shirt -- Pefoc and Sargent most of all.  Maybe Wright can break through and be the man, but it just feels like he's the flavor of the month.  At this point I'd prefer to play someone in the striker role who already has earned a starting spot.  I'm up for a Weah experiment.

Agreed that, if all healthy, we have an abundance of riches in the midfield.  A 100% heathy Reyna to me is a clear starter, either on the wing or at the #10.  I'd love to see LDT get some time as a #6, as that would allow us to drop Acosta (who in my opinion has the least talent of any USMNT regular) from the WC roster. 

I'm digging your starting lineup, although IMO Reyna is clearly above Musah rather than a toss up.  And I am not sure who I'd select to pair at LCB next to Walker.  Richards is probably as good a guess as any...such a bummer losing Miles Robinson, as the Robinson x2/Zimmerman/Dest backline was really gelling.

Wouldn't mind experimenting with Weah at the 9, but come the September friendlies, we're going to have to go with someone and stick with them.  Who that someone is... I don't know.  My best guess is Sergent, with Pepi/Ferreira backing up.  Unless Weah would work out that is.  However, part of our problem, I think, is our lack of cohesion at striker.  It's someone new every game.

Would love to have our full 11 be available for the September friendlies.  Want more of LDLT-- was a fan of his play earlier.  Also didn't think Long played terrible next to Zimmerman.  Have seen some doing it, but don't count out Aaronson.  Kid is a key cog that makes everything else go.  Less of Yedlin.  Man he had a rough outing and was consistently losing balls and making poor decisions.

Overall, what makes this really fun, is how deep this US team is.  Definitely have a chance to make the round of 16 and possibly round of 8 if we gel well enough.  2026 could be realllllllly fun.