MLS and Sporting KC - Official Thread

Was looking forward to Union Omaha potentially traveling to Rio Tinto to play RSL.  Granted I probably would have been the entire Union supporters' section, but it still would have been cool to see the boys play in person out here.  So of course RSL also decides to go and lose to a USL1 side.  Enjoy your home match everybody. 😢

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

Seattle Sounders win 5-2 on aggregate to be the first MLS team in history to win the CONCACAF champions league.  Sold out 70,000+ in Seattle last night.  Pretty cool game to watch.  

I'm trying to look at this as good for MLS, but it's tough to be happy for a rival.  

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

(What you said was true. Just adding the fuller picture.)

Huh, I must have read something wrong then.  Unless they meant first MLS side to win it during the club World Cup era which starting in 2002 I believe?  Either way, the point I was trying to make is that it was a good showing for the league and gives the league some much needed attention as it has positively evolved the last decade. 

1 hour ago, Keenan9595 said:

Huh, I must have read something wrong then.  Unless they meant first MLS side to win it during the club World Cup era which starting in 2002 I believe?  Either way, the point I was trying to make is that it was a good showing for the league and gives the league some much needed attention as it has positively evolved the last decade. 

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm shooting off of memory, but I believe the LA Galaxy teams that won it were in the pre-CONCACAF Champions League.  They were still CONCACAF champs, but under a different format and different name.  I'll try to remember to look up the exact details later.

42 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm shooting off of memory, but I believe the LA Galaxy teams that won it were in the pre-CONCACAF Champions League.  They were still CONCACAF champs, but under a different format and different name.  I'll try to remember to look up the exact details later.

That’s what I thought as well. 

34 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

The current format began in 2009.  Seattle is the only MLS team to have won the championship under the current format.  It was previously the CONCACAF Champions Cup which, as a brief search on Wikipedia reveals, was played under varying formats and over varying lengths of time and it's really hard to compare the two versions of the tournament.

Safe to say that the current iteration of the competition is much more difficult to win and while DC United (1998) and LA Galaxy (2000) both lay claim to continental club tournament championships, their achievements are not deemed to be as substantial as Seattle's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League

That's not to say that MLS has been totally uncompetitive during the current format, we've been progressing steadily and placing more teams in the semifinals and finals as of late, it's just that this is the first time an MLS team has broken through to win the trophy.  Hopefully it will be the continuation of a trend.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

The current format began in 2009.  Seattle is the only MLS team to have won the championship under the current format.  It was previously the CONCACAF Champions Cup which, as a brief search on Wikipedia reveals, was played under varying formats and over varying lengths of time and it's really hard to compare the two versions of the tournament.

Safe to say that the current iteration of the competition is much more difficult to win and while DC United (1998) and LA Galaxy (2000) both lay claim to continental club tournament championships, their achievements are not deemed to be as substantial as Seattle's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League

That's not to say that MLS has been totally uncompetitive during the current format, we've been progressing steadily and placing more teams in the semifinals and finals as of late, it's just that this is the first time an MLS team has broken through to win the trophy.  Hopefully it will be the continuation of a trend.

Thanks man, you did the leg work for me.  I get it was something like that but hadn’t had the time to get to it.  And I agree, I remember when the tourney started MLS teams sent their B teams to play and now it’s being taken more seriously.  This cup is a good is a good way to help the image of MLS as a league on a global platform and hopefully help sell played abroad.

6 hours ago, 49r said:

Really hoping for that Union Omaha v SKC matchup in the round of 16!  🤞

Yes, but who would you root for?  I think I'd finally understand those people that wear custom split jerseys for two teams.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Yes, but who would you root for?  I think I'd finally understand those people that wear custom split jerseys for two teams.

I would legit root for Union Omaha because a). Sporting are garbage this year with no hope of winning any silverware and b). it would be very very cool to see Omaha advance to at least the round of 8 in the US Open Cup.

Plus, Omaha is a fun team to watch play.  Really like their style.